Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2006, 16:56   #1
Resting in Peace

50 c.c. Mopeds

When I was around 17 .. my dad had a 50 c.c. moped and was allowed to use it on Saturday mornings to go to work.

Used to have to pedal this first to get the engine running. Must have looked a right plonker with head gear and waterproof clothes over my suit. !
Are they still like this ? Are mopeds still available .. never really noticed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2006, 17:45   #2
God Member

Re: 50 c.c. Mopeds

Yep, though the majority are now rev n go scooter style. You can still get 'proper bike' styled mopeds although they don't need/have pedals anymore. to be a 'moped' it has to be less than 50cc and restricted to 30 mph.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 17:33   #3

When I was a lad of 18.....and after a night out walking down Blackburn road to see how many halfs we could drink in each pub on the way...we staggered home..and the mate fell promptly asleep...I was hungry ...so decided to see if the chippy was still open..and not wanting to walk there..I decided to borrow the mate,s moped.....pedal variety to get it started.....after much furious pedalling and huffing and puffing......finally got it going and sailed down the road..I remember it was pouring cats and dogs and was decidedly uncomfortable riding around........5 chippys not open.....sailed on.......then was overtaken by a car which suddenly hoisted a red light in it,s back window........POLICE......STOP......eek!!!
The upshot of all this was a day in court 4 weks later....riding without a licence......policeman described me as being under the weather.. ....wasn,t sure if he was referring to the rain or my other state .....but let it go and copped the fine...my mate was in court laughing his head off all the way through......

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 00:37   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The upshot of all this was a day in court 4 weks later....riding without a licence......policeman described me as being under the weather.. ....wasn,t sure if he was referring to the rain or my other state .....but let it go and copped the fine...my mate was in court laughing his head off all the way through......

Tal[/QUOTE] very funny story tal but you deserved fining for riding a MOPED pmsl
Old 17-04-2006, 02:54   #5
Junior Member+

Katex , it was probably the old Yamaha FS1E or maybe the old Honda SS50 .... or one of the inferior alternatives at the time.

heres a battered old Fizza (FS1E)

Heres an old battered Honda SS50

Or was it one of these?? LOL

I've owned all of the above , well not the actual ones shown but you know what I mean .... wish I still had them now .... looking at £800+ each for mint versions of the first two ... the Honda in the picture sold for £250 in that state .... sheesh , if only!!

Anyway dunno why I posted those pics , the topic just kinda grabbed my attention being a motorcycle type of personage.

Cheers

Daz
Y2Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 09:20   #6
Resting in Peace

Thanks Y2 ... guess it was the third picture as know didn't have to climb over it to get on. Even had the basket at the front.

I loved it anyway Cashman
Old 07-05-2009, 22:37   #7

pauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52   #8
God Member

seem to remember there were also one or two "motorized' bicycles around in those days as well , not sure if they were 'production' models or something left over from the austerity days of WW2
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thanks Y2 ... guess it was the third picture as know didn't have to climb over it to get on. Even had the basket at the front.

I loved it anyway Cashman
When I first read this thread I pictured kate on Moped peddling like hell down the street with a crash helmet on
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seem to remember there were also one or two "motorized' bicycles around in those days as well , not sure if they were 'production' models or something left over from the austerity days of WW2
There were two kinds of motorised bicycles just after WW2, one was built into the hub of the rear wheel the other was clamped over the rear wheel and had a spring loaded roller which engaged on the tyre.
Mate of mine in the fire service had one of those built into the rear hub, it was a right pig of a thing to maintain, mostly muck in the carb.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16   #11

An interesting thread and yes a change in the law allowed the makers to drop the pedals and they began to look more like motor bikes, very collectable now and very expensive, there's some great photos here
Flickr: Search
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:46   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I first read this thread I pictured kate on Moped peddling like hell down the street with a crash helmet on
Could easily happen Jaysay, if prices for running a car go on rising ...

Funnily enough, although she will be taking driving lessons soon, daughter has been discussing with grandaughter the possibility of buying something like this :-

piaggio3a.jpg

Watcha think ?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:24   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think it looks like a supermarket trolley.
Old 09-05-2009, 14:33   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Funnily enough, although she will be taking driving lessons soon, daughter has been discussing with granddaughter the possibility of buying something like this :-

Attachment 13819

Watcha think ?
Um looks okay, but like cashy says all that's missing is wire basket on the front, but could do a roarer in shopping fort oud fogies like me
Old 09-05-2009, 15:47   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

Funnily enough, although she will be taking driving lessons soon, daughter has been discussing with grandaughter the possibility of buying something like this :-

Attachment 13819

Watcha think ?

Its got too many wheels on it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..