Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   the good old days THE BLOCKADE (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-good-old-days-the-blockade-51207.html)

johnenglish 09-01-2010 18:13

the good old days THE BLOCKADE

Saw the post on pubs last night and remember this one the blockade .
Joyce was the landady,Eddie and john her son .
any one else got a few tales , I have but will add them as the thread grows.

Wynonie Harris 09-01-2010 18:39

Re: the good old days THE BLOCKADE

The Blockade...a pub amongst pubs! You could actually "alter your consciousness" just by breathing the air in the backroom. ;) Remember one night, a young lady who had been...err...taking some "medication", removing all her clothes and dancing on the pool table. This being, the Block, nobody bothered much. :D

cashman 09-01-2010 18:53

was having a pint at corner of bar one night, was a guy i knew sat on a high stool round barfront, i decided to go fer a pee, on way through was a guy on telephone- saying hes sat at the bar now, thought nowt of it, approx 5/6 mins later back supping me pint n another guy i know runs in pub, grabs guy on stool, nuts him etc etc, stood tall n says= Am i still barred Eddie? Class pure Class.:D

johnenglish 09-01-2010 19:14

ROFTFL
Just wondering anyone had the pleasure of watching spoof played at the bar on Fri,sun night.
see you later

expatcheshirelad 09-01-2010 19:30

A sign behind the bar might be help
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7293056_s.jpg

Mancie 09-01-2010 21:39

"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.:)

yerself 09-01-2010 21:43

The Blockade had one of the best juke boxes in Accy.

cashman 09-01-2010 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777099)
"hells kitchen"...was one of the back rooms and thinking about it now it was small..apart from the usuall stuff it was the first time I heard of Tequila slamming..whatching bods faces cringe up after salt n lemon was funny..and you could smoke in them days.:)

was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room.:D already smoked.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 21:56

I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!:D

cashman 09-01-2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777107)
I know old codgers go on about the good old days ..but the Block was a pub you could rely on to sort out a dull night.. I don't know how they got away with it..bleedin long haired hippies!:D

Always had a theory about that, cos know fer a fact the "Drug Squad" were well aware.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777102)
was introduced to Southern Comfort wi Canada Dry in that room.:D already smoked.:D

Just reminded me Cashy.. once came across a bloke called "Bonzo" introduced me to a drink he called a "mind blower".. creme de menth plus double perno.. and it is a mind blower!

cashman 09-01-2010 22:06

Some of the tales John not a good idea to tell em on here,i think.:D

Wynonie Harris 09-01-2010 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 777099)
and you could smoke in them days.:)

...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes. ;)

cashman 09-01-2010 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 777124)
...oh yes, you could smoke...I smoked loads of stuff in there...I even smoked ordinary fags sometimes. ;)

they were ordinary fags in those days.:D

Mancie 09-01-2010 22:45

Hey it don't matter much now.. lets be honest the Block was the place to go if you wanted to partake in the old "have a smoke and get loadsa curry and chappattis"...or for the less well cultered Grammer school boys the "lets go home and play Ludo with my parents" :D

Wynonie Harris 09-01-2010 22:54

One thing I will say about the Block...it was very rare to see large scale punch ups in there, possibly due to the "turn on, tune in and drop out" vibe. Always the safest pub to be in on those "eventful" nights downtown after a Blackburn/Burnley derby match! :D

cashman 09-01-2010 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 777138)
One thing I will say about the Block...it was very rare to see large scale punch ups in there, possibly due to the "turn on, tune in and drop out" vibe. Always the safest pub to be in on those "eventful" nights downtown after a Blackburn/Burnley derby match! :D

never saw a big punch up in yon in all the years i went in, an odd fight even that was very rare, more in the front bar than back room.

spignific 10-01-2010 01:14

The blue room.that was the back room

johnenglish 10-01-2010 06:53

I was a front bar man in those days ,never did go in back room.
people watching.
Anyone remember Boo,Mick Absilom

beechy 10-01-2010 07:12

cant say i ever saw Eddie actually serve anybody with a drink
he was always sat at the bar in the corner when i went in
John ended up being a good goldsmith if my memory serves me well

Bernard Dawson 10-01-2010 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 777157)
he was always sat at the bar in the corner when i went in
John ended up being a good goldsmith if my memory serves me well

Eddie always sat in the corner,keeping an eye on anybody who came in. John had one of those shops on Peel St. I think he still has the shop.

cashman 10-01-2010 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by spignific (Post 777151)
The blue room.that was the back room

News to me mate,blue room was always back room of the derby.:confused:

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777179)

Yep, that's what I thought, too. Certainly was when I was going in the two establishments!

johnenglish 10-01-2010 11:51

Bet it should have been called the haze room roffl
After Jimmy

cashman 10-01-2010 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777156)
I was a front bar man in those days ,never did go in back room.
people watching.
Anyone remember Boo,Mick Absilom

the guy who got bounced off the stool had a wallpaper shop on union st, in those days, so ya probably knew him john.:D late 60s/early70 shop closed n he became a landlord in another well known supping house.;)

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777044)

Come on then, Mr Lovell, when are you going to tell us some of these stories you promised us? :D

johnenglish 10-01-2010 16:11

ahh Wynonie ,as you get older patience is a virtue lol
bet you remember Jimmy barret from the jazz club days
Cashman can't remember his name the guy who was taken down so to speak.

sm_counsell 10-01-2010 16:19

Hello Cashman,
Where exactly was the Blockade?. I can remember having my first 'legal' drink (18th. birthday) in a pub close to the Cavern. Could it have been the blockade?

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777283)

Right, I shall wait with baited breath, John. Remember Jimmy Barrett vaguely from Jazz Club days, but can't remember much about him - it's all a bit of a blur. ;)

cashman 10-01-2010 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 777285)
Hello Cashman,
Where exactly was the Blockade?. I can remember having my first 'legal' drink (18th. birthday) in a pub close to the Cavern. Could it have been the blockade?

Blockade was just on corner below the Princes n Empire cinemas n across the road. nearest pub to cavern was Castle just above, Black Bull just across the river stink bridge, think the Australian just across rd n bottom corner was closed then.

cashman 10-01-2010 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777283)

Who's name can i not remember?:confused:

jaysay 10-01-2010 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777179)

Thats what I always thought cashy, had many a happy hour in the Derby blue room:D

johnenglish 10-01-2010 18:15

sorry it was cashman who was on about the guy on the stool.
YOU will have to put me down as getting senile lol

cashman 10-01-2010 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777313)
sorry it was cashman who was on about the guy on the stool.
YOU will have to put me down as getting senile lol

not to worry john, i can name the guy who made the phone call, the guy who got banjoed, n the guy who banjoed him.:D 2 of them no longer wi us, but don't think a public forum is the place to name em.;)

jaysay 11-01-2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777396)
not to worry john, i can name the guy who made the phone call, the guy who got banjoed, n the guy who banjoed him.:D 2 of them no longer wi us, but don't think a public forum is the place to name em.;)

Forever the pragmatist cashy:D

JEFF 11-01-2010 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 777161)
Eddie always sat in the corner,keeping an eye on anybody who came in. John had one of those shops on Peel St. I think he still has the shop.

Yes John still has the shop on Peel Street - John Berry, Jewellery Repairs. He is usually in Bold Street on a Friday Night

johnenglish 11-01-2010 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777396)

Yes better let sleeping dogs Lie.

Tina 06-06-2011 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnenglish (Post 777044)
Saw the post on pubs last night and remember this one the blockade .
Joyce was the landady,Eddie and john her son .

I was there !! I was 16 back then and working behind the bar. Eddie always sat at the bar like the big man, and made comments about my 16 yr old arse. He would have been in his 50s `then. Creep.I quit the job.

. My brother used to hang out there too. And I remember a young man named Dave - had really frizzy curly hair, and drove a motorcycle. Was always there around that time.

steeljack 06-06-2011 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777289)
Blockade was just on corner below the Princes n Empire cinemas n across the road. nearest pub to cavern was Castle just above, Black Bull just across the river stink bridge, think the Australian just across rd n bottom corner was closed then.

You've got me confused now /senior moment , so which was the pub on Maudsley/Addison st area, one of the streets behind Mary's Music (near to Emerson and Renwicks ) thinking it was a Magnet/John Smiths pub , also had a good juke box :confused: :confused:

Wynonie Harris 06-06-2011 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 910681)
You've got me confused now /senior moment , so which was the pub on Maudsley/Addison st area, one of the streets behind Mary's Music (near to Emerson and Renwicks ) thinking it was a Magnet/John Smiths pub , also had a good juke box :confused: :confused:

That's the New Brewery you're thinking of, SJ. Another one on the "circuit" back in the day!

jaysay 06-06-2011 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 910688)
That's the New Brewery you're thinking of, SJ. Another one on the "circuit" back in the day!

Was a great lunchtime venue when I was at Tech Wyn

cashman 06-06-2011 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 910688)

thats the one, a good watering hole in its day.;)

cashman 06-06-2011 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 777157)

well i called in fer years n i can't recall either, can anyone say they ever saw eddie serve ale?:confused::D

Wynonie Harris 06-06-2011 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 910705)
well i called in fer years n i can't recall either, can anyone say they ever saw eddie serve ale?:confused::D

Nope, Joyce certainly served plenty up, but never saw Eddie pull a beer.

Accylad 08-01-2012 22:54

That was my Local in the late 70's many a good night there. Eddie never pulled a pint just sat at the end of the bar drinking wine. Joyce was a lovely woman.

Stevie R 08-01-2012 23:32

There was a bottle behind the bar called `pure old panther ****`,can`t say if I ever tried it!

jaysay 09-01-2012 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie R (Post 961243)
There was a bottle behind the bar called `pure old panther ****`,can`t say if I ever tried it!

There are bottles on the market these days with some weird and wonderful names I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1% last night certainly did the job:D

mickbrfc 10-02-2012 01:06

used to play a electronic game called yangsee free pint for a full house, never saw anyone do it lol

wendy Clark 14-09-2012 20:27

I worked behind the bar in the "Block" for 10 yrs +, Eddie poured the ODD pint,the only reason being if i turned up a few min's late, he could pull a pint, it was the getting it on the bar without spilling it that was his problem hehe.
The juke box was the best in town and the cheapest.Had many a good night in the back room. I know there has been a couple of Blockade reunions, went to 1 and was funny to see some old faces, folk came from all over the UK. If anyone sees John & Pam say hi to them for me please.

maxthecollie 14-09-2012 20:54

We ( the buffaloes) used to meet upstairs in the Blockade on Monday nights. T.he pub wentdown when Joyce and Eddie left. The landlord was a guy called Paul and his wife. They had a dog called Jet

yerself 15-09-2012 12:25

I remember being in the Blockade a few years ago (at least 30), we were stood at the bar putting the world to rights when a well-known Accyweb member raised his clenched fist towards the sky and declared " I sleep under the hammer and sickle, my allegiance is with the Kremlin." Anyone like to guess who it was?

cashman 15-09-2012 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1016025)
I remember being in the Blockade a few years ago (at least 30), we were stood at the bar putting the world to rights when a well-known Accyweb member raised his clenched fist towards the sky and declared " I sleep under the hammer and sickle, my allegiance is with the Kremlin." Anyone like to guess who it was?

Would it be yerself?:D

maxthecollie 15-09-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 961280)
There are bottles on the market these days with some weird and wonderful names I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1% last night certainly did the job:D

It really lifted your sneck did it?

yerself 20-09-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
Would it be yerself?:D

Not me, I've not grown through my hair yet.:)

Wynonie Harris 20-09-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1017774)
Not me, I've not grown through my hair yet.:)

Hmmmm...you got me thinking about this one. My initial suspicions were Bernard, but he still has a reasonable amount of hair on top. Any more clues?

cashman 20-09-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1017794)
Hmmmm...you got me thinking about this one. My initial suspicions were Bernard, but he still has a reasonable amount of hair on top. Any more clues?

Nah never remember Bernard in yon.:confused: At least as a regular.

Bernard Dawson 20-09-2012 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1017810)
Nah never remember Bernard in yon.:confused: At least as a regular.

I used to go in a lot. I don't remember it being me though. I wouldn't have dared say it anyway if Joyce had been there. Anyway it would have been the late seventies, and I was going through my Maoist period then. So it couldn't have been me.

Wynonie Harris 20-09-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 1017822)
I used to go in a lot. I don't remember it being me though. I wouldn't have dared say it anyway if Joyce had been there. Anyway it would have been the late seventies, and I was going through my Maoist period then. So it couldn't have been me.

Fair enough, Bernard. In that case, my other main suspect is Mancie. Could it have been him or was he only a Stretford End Red 30 years ago?

cashman 20-09-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 1017822)

Ah thats why, i was absent wed n away at that time, Think wyns near the mark though wi his second choice.:D

Tealeaf 20-09-2012 20:02

Quote:

Don't muck about. Name and shame this commie dirtbag. The great Accy public need to know. Mind you, he (or she) has probably transferred their allegance to the Koran by now and is at this very moment knocking up an IED from nail varnish and doner kebab fat.

kestrelx 20-09-2012 20:15

I remember many blurred nights in the Blockade on Newcastle Brown and in the back room they used to smoke the old oxo cubes! I think it was round the time of "Whiskey in the Jar" or a few years later. That song was always on the juke box. ;)

yerself 21-09-2012 06:40

Wynonie and cashman have no doubt met him on the Clayton End from time to time.

jaysay 21-09-2012 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1016074)
It really lifted your sneck did it?

:s_cry::s_cry::s_cry:Sadley not, I'm a lost cause these days, but it tasted nice:D

maxthecollie 21-09-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1018027)
:s_cry::s_cry::s_cry:Sadley not, I'm a lost cause these days, but it tasted nice:D

I had a glass or two of Snecklifter at the Edisford Bridge when that was a Jennings Pub. Lovely Brew. I like my Old Speckled Hen now.

Wynonie Harris 21-09-2012 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1017996)
Wynonie and cashman have no doubt met him on the Clayton End from time to time.

Hmmm...bald, stands on the Clayton End. That narrows it down to a couple of hundred. Will have to confer with Cashy about this tomorrow!

jaysay 21-09-2012 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1018167)
I had a glass or two of Snecklifter at the Edisford Bridge when that was a Jennings Pub. Lovely Brew. I like my Old Speckled Hen now.

Its a nice drink is that Max, when Andy had the Stop and Rest, it was one of his standard draft beers, used to partake regularly

cashman 21-09-2012 18:03

Can i ask yerself if were talking "Past Tense"? if so twas n owd long time mate of mine.

cashman 21-09-2012 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1018224)
Can i ask yerself if were talking "Past Tense"? if so twas n owd long time mate of mine.

And then again, i wasn't aware the guy was a member,so probably wrong,even though twas the sorta thing he would do.:confused:

yerself 21-09-2012 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman

No, he's definitely alive and kicking. The man in question once claimed to have nearly penetrated the inner circle of the Tory party at their annual conference in Blackpool by flashing his bus ticket as ID.

cashman 21-09-2012 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1018234)
No, he's definitely alive and kicking. The man in question once claimed to have nearly penetrated the inner circle of the Tory party at their annual conference in Blackpool by flashing his bus ticket as ID.

Well thats good, The one i was thinking you would know fer sure i think.;)

Wynonie Harris 21-09-2012 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 1018234)

I like his style...but still no nearer. :confused:

cashman 21-09-2012 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1018245)
I like his style...but still no nearer. :confused:

Its got me beat as well.:confused:

egg&chips 21-09-2012 20:15

There used to be a Trotsky lookalike called Chris B---ge sat near the John Courage pump??

egg&chips 21-09-2012 20:17

Speaking of the jukebox, Stevie Nicks' Leather andLace always seemed to get a lot of plays when I was trying to win pints on the Yahtzee machine.

cashman 21-09-2012 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 1018260)
Speaking of the jukebox, Stevie Nicks' Leather andLace always seemed to get a lot of plays when I was trying to win pints on the Yahtzee machine.

Long after my day, What the hells a Yahtzee machine?:confused:

Wynonie Harris 21-09-2012 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1018339)

Mine too, was full of Cream, Hendrix and Led Zeppelin when I used to go in.

jaysay 22-09-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1018341)

Never heard of one either:confused:

lavenderpixie 23-09-2012 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1018339)

My partner tells me that the Yahtzee machine used to be on the wall in the middle room - it was an electronic version of Poker Dice - a free pint was awarded for a full card. Only a few people mastered it, the clever clogs insists that he won 4 or 5 pints in total over the time it was installed.
He wonders if anyone remember the Asteroids arcade game and the Space Invaders table also at the Block?

maxthecollie 23-09-2012 07:47

I used to take my dog Gyp in the blockade after Joyce and Eddie had left and he used to watch the Bandit .He thought it was the telly.

jaysay 23-09-2012 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavenderpixie (Post 1018584)
My partner tells me that the Yahtzee machine used to be on the wall in the middle room - it was an electronic version of Poker Dice - a free pint was awarded for a full card. Only a few people mastered it, the clever clogs insists that he won 4 or 5 pints in total over the time it was installed.
He wonders if anyone remember the Asteroids arcade game and the Space Invaders table also at the Block?

Think both those vid games were in lots of pubs around that time

lavenderpixie 23-09-2012 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1018620)
Think both those vid games were in lots of pubs around that time

The Block was apparently the first with the Space Invaders table (two people sitting opposite each other) and the Asteroids game: in Accy, at least.

Benipete 24-09-2012 07:19

I remember the Blockade making the News Of The World around the mid sixties when someone did a strip in the Jukebox room.:eek::eek::D:D

jaysay 24-09-2012 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavenderpixie (Post 1018629)
The Block was apparently the first with the Space Invaders table (two people sitting opposite each other) and the Asteroids game: in Accy, at least.

I know they had one in the Great Tree Hassy in the late 70s early 80s

kestrelx 24-09-2012 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1018341)

The big 3 used to be The Queens, Broadway and the Blockade - sugar I feel like i've gone back in time.

All ways remember hearing "Riders on the Storm" and "All along the Watchtower" in all their glory in the Queens.

cashman 24-09-2012 18:55

Used to play darts fer Queens in 60s.was me late brothers local in 70s.

Wynonie Harris 24-10-2012 16:05

Quote:

Are you going to give us the answer to this one, Yerself?

Eric 24-10-2012 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1024290)
Are you going to give us the answer to this one, Yerself?

Cashy, maybe:confused:

Wynonie Harris 24-10-2012 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1024445)

No, Cashy's already been puzzling over it with the rest of us earlier in the thread.

cashman 25-10-2012 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1024445)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1024454)
No, Cashy's already been puzzling over it with the rest of us earlier in the thread.

Possibly G.J.?

DaveinGermany 25-10-2012 10:53

Now why am I thinking of our very own Mancie ? :D

Eric 25-10-2012 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1024531)
Now why am I thinking of our very own Mancie ? :D

Maybe because it's a slow day in the Reich and you have too much free time on your hands;) Drink a bunch of beer and these thoughts will disappear.:D

DaveinGermany 25-10-2012 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1024560)
Maybe because it's a slow day in the Reich and you have too much free time on your hands;) Drink a bunch of beer and these thoughts will disappear.:D

Everyday is a slow day here Eric, something to do with the German penchant with papers & paperwork for everything & that in triplicate at the very least.

As to the Beer, probably chuck down a few "Oktoberfest Biers" to fit in with the locals, only not to many or it'll be on the bus & off to Poland ! :D

They tend to suffer "Wanderlust" when they've had a few. ;)

Eric 25-10-2012 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1024570)
Everyday is a slow day here Eric, something to do with the German penchant with papers & paperwork for everything & that in triplicate at the very least.

As to the Beer, probably chuck down a few "Oktoberfest Biers" to fit in with the locals, only not to many or it'll be on the bus & off to Poland ! :D

They tend to suffer "Wanderlust" when they've had a few. ;)

I read about that ... have a few brewshies; hop on a tank; and do the drang nach osten thing:D

Wynonie Harris 25-10-2012 22:13

Theories naming G.J. or Mancie as the suspect are, I fear, totally unfounded, Watson. Yerself has already provided us with two vital clues - the man in question possesses a mark lack of hair and is an habituee of the Clayton End. G.J. has a healthy head of hair and Mancie is no frequenter of the Clayton End, being a Stretford Ender by persuasion. Come, Watson, our search continues!

Sorry, been watching me Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes DVDs today. ;)

cashman 25-10-2012 22:31

Well that rules me out i still got me barnet.:D

Mancie 25-10-2012 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 1024716)
Theories naming G.J. or Mancie as the suspect are, I fear, totally unfounded, Watson. Yerself has already provided us with two vital clues - the man in question possesses a mark lack of hair and is an habituee of the Clayton End. G.J. has a healthy head of hair and Mancie is no frequenter of the Clayton End, being a Stretford Ender by persuasion. Come, Watson, our search continues!

Sorry, been watching me Basil Rathbone/Sherlock Holmes DVDs today. ;)

Very good Wyn...you can count me out as a suspect..I did frequent the Block back in the late 70's but I can't say I was a regular.
As fo the cry of "hammer and sickle" I'd say it's more apt these days as the Tory's hammering us plebs and the low to ground cuts of the sickle:D

DtheP47 26-10-2012 08:51

I'd have gone for Ernie Lee or Kiff (John Cowell) until you mentioned a bald pate Wynonie.

cashman 26-10-2012 09:31

Nah then wyn,have yeh considered the guy who occasionally joins us on Clayton End when hes in town?:D

DaveinGermany 26-10-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1024777)
Nah then wyn,have yeh considered the guy who occasionally joins us on Clayton End when hes in town?:D

Are you insinuating the infamous Mr. Lapsong souchong ??? :D

Wynonie Harris 26-10-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1017925)
Don't muck about. Name and shame this commie dirtbag. The great Accy public need to know. Mind you, he (or she) has probably transferred their allegance to the Koran by now and is at this very moment knocking up an IED from nail varnish and doner kebab fat.

Don't reckon it's him, unless it's a cunning double bluff.

Actually, Ernie Lee sounded a knocking bet, but as DtheP47 pointed out, he had a full head of hair back then and I've never seen him on the Clayton End.