Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/rock-around-the-clock-bill-haley-52765.html)

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 10:47

Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

Can anybody remember going to see the film 'Rock Around The Clock' with Bill Haley..in the 1950's it was shown at either the Kings Hall or the Ritz..not sure which one..but I lived in Crawshaw Street and my friends were Barbara Gudgeon and Lily Smith, (does anybody know them, would love to make contact again),
we danced in the streets all the way home...that film seem to change our lives.

jaysay 15-04-2010 14:58

Re: Rock around the Clock, Bill Haley

I saw it at the Palladium in Ossy about 56 or 57

Barrie Yates 15-04-2010 15:23

I saw it in Burnley, went straight from work - so that had to be '56/57.

cashman 15-04-2010 18:27

was it not at the "Princes or Empire" in Accy?:confused: seem to remember it yon.

MargaretR 15-04-2010 18:46

I danced in the aisles at the Palladium, but I can't say it changed my life.

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806709)
was it not at the "Princes or Empire" in Accy?:confused: seem to remember it yon.

Hiya Cashy, no definitely not on at Empire or Princes, (Edgar Street)...I lived in Crawshaw Street (next to Edgar St)..and I remember dancing all the way home, down Peel St..along Blackburn Road, down School Street and home.:)

cashman 15-04-2010 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806721)
Hiya Cashy, no definitely not on at Empire or Princes, (Edgar Street)...I lived in Crawshaw Street (next to Edgar St)..and I remember dancing all the way home, down Peel St..along Blackburn Road, down School Street and home.:)

Well if ya remember dancing down Peel st, musta bin the "Bug Hut" or the "Palace":)

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 806729)
Well if ya remember dancing down Peel st, musta bin the "Bug Hut" or the "Palace":)

was the 'Bug Hut' the Kings Hall? sure that is where I saw it...

Barrie Yates 15-04-2010 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 806746)
was the 'Bug Hut' the Kings Hall? sure that is where I saw it...

Sorry, must have been the Palace. The "Bug Hut" was always years behind with new films, unless you are talking of much later then 56/57

beechy 15-04-2010 20:28

it was played at the ritz ..church st

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 806758)
Sorry, must have been the Palace. The "Bug Hut" was always years behind with new films, unless you are talking of much later then 56/57

yes it must have been 56/57, and could have been The Palace....wasn't it at the top of Peel St on the right hand corner?
Amazing to think how many Picture Houses there were in Accrington in those days..

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 806769)

my memory must be playing tricks... I was sure we came home via Peel St..but maybe it was Church Street.... Anyway we had a fab night and really enjoyed ourselves...:)

Bob Dobson 15-04-2010 20:51

It was the Ritz - I remember seeing you. White ankle socks and a dirndel(?) skirt. You had a pony tail.

AccyGirl 15-04-2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 806779)
It was the Ritz - I remember seeing you. White ankle socks and a dirndel(?) skirt. You had a pony tail.

in the words of Frank Ifield...' I remember you oooo' :) I think I had pig tails:)

Barrie Yates 17-04-2010 09:26

Hell Bob - you certainly have a memory for details - girl's clothing details that is?

cashman 17-04-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 807211)
Hell Bob - you certainly have a memory for details - girl's clothing details that is?

Mine aint bad either, but its more the "Underware":rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

jaysay 18-04-2010 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 807223)
Mine aint bad either, but its more the "Underware":rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

Ya cashy stockings and suspenders, remember the thick bit at the top, the giggle band, got passed there and you were laughing:D:D

Stumped 18-04-2010 18:08

Saw it 56/57 at The Palace Cinema, Great Harwood, which is now Aquascope. Must say I preferred it as a cinema - much cheaper!

Stumped 18-04-2010 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 807576)
Ya cashy stockings and suspenders, remember the thick bit at the top, the giggle band, got passed there and you were laughing:D:D

The advent of tights certainly complicated things!

tosh 19-04-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 806769)

your right it was the ritz

Barrie Yates 19-04-2010 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 807690)
The advent of tights certainly complicated things!

'61/62 was a magic year - traing in Weston -s -Mare, a bicycle town - before tights really came into fashion. Walked into a few lamposts and other obstructions - Happy days:D

jaysay 20-04-2010 09:50

Actually think it was around 67/68 when tights came in:mad::mad::mad::D

Barrie Yates 20-04-2010 11:00

You are correct Jaysay, I was on a post-grad course, back end of '67. Nowhere near the same sights to enjoy.

cashman 20-04-2010 11:33

can remember Bill Haley being on at some place down whalley, cronny owned it, but name i forget.:confused:

jaysay 20-04-2010 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 808194)
can remember Bill Haley being on at some place down whalley, cronny owned it, but name i forget.:confused:

Ace of Spades cashy

jaysay 20-04-2010 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 808184)
You are correct Jaysay, I was on a post-grad course, back end of '67. Nowhere near the same sights to enjoy.

Ya Barrie there became no point in throwing a tanner on the deck and stopping to admire the sights:D

Barrie Yates 20-04-2010 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 808310)
Ya Barrie there became no point in throwing a tanner on the deck and stopping to admire the sights:D

What a cheapskate - I would throw a "Bob" if she was really a cracker, but had a girlfriend who loved to wear a flared skirt when we went dancing - I had to let the occasional chap dance with her so that I could enjoy the scenery too:D

Stumped 20-04-2010 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 808310)

Only a tanner? Half-a-crown was bound to get you better results!

jaysay 21-04-2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 808372)
Only a tanner? Half-a-crown was bound to get you better results!

Blood hell Stumped you were after class, in those days didn't get much more that that spending money:D :D

jaysay 21-04-2010 09:56

Ya Bill Haley, The King, Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, great times, anybody remember the in dance at the time, The Quaker, twice round the dance floor then outside for your oats:D:D:D

Alan Gilmartin 22-04-2010 08:17

Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.

AccyGirl 22-04-2010 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 808801)
Old names in music, come to mind, The Vernons girls ( Ladybirds,). The Brooks Brothers, Don Lang, Terry Dean, Jim Dale.

I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show:theband:

jaysay 23-04-2010 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyGirl (Post 808998)
I remember going to the The Kings Hall in Blackburn 1962/63 to see Little Eva, Brooks Brothers and Bobby Rydell.....great show:theband:

Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence :mosher:

AccyGirl 23-04-2010 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 809480)
Think the best show at King Georges Hall in Blackburn was The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Cilla Black, and Roy Orbison, all for about 3 shillings and sixpence :mosher:

wowow what a line up...wish I had seen that one.....
oopss and sorry I got the name of the Hall wrong..of course it is King Georges Hall.....I also remember going to a New Years Eve dance there..I think 1962..

Barrie Yates 23-04-2010 15:45

Quote:

I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.

cashman 23-04-2010 18:30

Quote:

that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.:)

jaysay 24-04-2010 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 809580)
that would be 62/63 the big "O"was the headliner when i saw it n the beatles were nowt but up n coming.:)

Stop on cashy think the had just released Love Me Do when they appeared and G and the P I Like It

Alan Gilmartin 28-04-2010 07:20

I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.

jaysay 28-04-2010 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 810700)
I went to that as well. People dont believe over here when I tell them. , As well as all the other groups we used to see, at the Imperial, Astoria, Burnley Mecca, Con, Cavern , The Wheel, They say if you remamber the 60s you wernt there , well I certainly bloody was and I remember, fantastic, Put kettle on mother. At least we have lived to tell the tale.

Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else:D

cashman 28-04-2010 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 810720)
Well I remember the 60s too Alan, maybe because I never tried whacky backy, or bombers, uppers and downers, I was a big enough head-the-ball with Ale and fags, let alone out else:D

i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks":D dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.:D

jaysay 29-04-2010 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 810936)
i remember a fair bit, rest is "Flashbacks":D dunno how the hell i survived, bet some on here wish i hadn't.:D

Bet some on here wish you hadn't cashy:eek::eek::eek: and you a first class gent and genteel soul to boot:rolleyes::D

accybill 01-05-2010 18:25

It was at the Ritz in Church street, remember it well - jiving in the isles......when we managed to evade the management.

If memory serves me right it was next door to what was Barnes showroom?

Stephanie Wallace 02-05-2010 08:53

Danced to Ray Ellington in Burnley-came home on the back of someone's truck-happy days!

keith higson 03-07-2010 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 809536)
I saw the first US band to come over after the ban was lifted - Duke Ellington (I think), at the King George's - whoever it was, it was pretty good compared with the English bands - Frankie Laine at Blackpool Opera House was also pretty good. Reckon that must have been about '54 or so.

I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.

Barrie Yates 03-07-2010 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith higson (Post 826010)
I believe (not the song Conway Twitty sang) that Frankie Laine was at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool in the mid 50's, and if I remeber correctly he wore a "Midnight Blue" gaberdine suit with a link button and rolled collar. I tried to get one at Burtons but could'nt, had to settle for a grey one.

Pretty sure you had the venue right - like you, could not get midnight blue so went the other way and got a very light grey one - showed every B mark, but I felt good wearing it.

steeljack 03-07-2010 07:14

Burtons, circa 1968 (opposite the deck) in Accrington used to make/supply "made to measure" suits for 7/6d a week, Blue pin stripe suits with a 10"/12" center vent , red lining......... dont think I'm alone in thinking that I was the only youngster/apprentice in Accy who who ever turned for for Sunday morning overtime from God knows where wearing his" best" suit

south aussie 03-07-2010 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 826021)
Burtons, circa 1968 (opposite the deck) in Accrington used to make/supply "made to measure" suits for 7/6d a week, Blue pin stripe suits with a 10"/12" center vent , red lining......... dont think I'm alone in thinking that I was the only youngster/apprentice in Accy who who ever turned for for Sunday morning overtime from God knows where wearing his" best" suit

If you were like me your '' best suit'' was your only suit.

Apprentice wages did not stretch too far.
How much did we earn in1968?
Must have been about 9 or 10 quid.

jaysay 03-07-2010 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 826091)

Quite right SA I had two suits my best one and my birthday one:D

jaysay 03-07-2010 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 826091)

Talking of wages, when I started work in 1962 as an happyrentice joiner I was on 7d an hour I think, for a 46hr week so that was £1-6s-10d for the week, oh the good old days:D

Alan Gilmartin 04-07-2010 06:13

2 Attachment(s)
Got all my suits made at Erni Mcknoes near the bridge on Blackburn Rd. These suits were as sharp as a razor, he must have made a fortune from the all us Mods in the 60s.

jaysay 04-07-2010 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826255)
Got all my suits made at Erni Mcknoes near the bridge on Blackburn Rd. These suits were as sharp as a razor, he must have made a fortune from the all us Mods in the 60s.

I had a tailor who worked from home he lived on Blackburn Road Accy near the Hyndburn Pub top of Monk Street I think, he was called Ricky, was at one time manager at the Coop tailors department in Ossy where the new church is now. He'd make you a suit for any price, it was p to you, but he was first rate at his trade, I had many a suit of him

Alan Gilmartin 06-07-2010 07:24

Once bought a jacket from Moffits, next day saw Issacs in one like it, must say I felt pretty cool. Also bought a lot of clothes from Kurtis menswear, on Fountain St, Manchester and Harry Fentons in Blackburn, so did Wynonnie,

Wynonie Harris 06-07-2010 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826700)
Once bought a jacket from Moffits, next day saw Issacs in one like it, must say I felt pretty cool. Also bought a lot of clothes from Kurtis menswear, on Fountain St, Manchester and Harry Fentons in Blackburn, so did Wynonnie,

Harry Fenton's, Blackburn, now you're talking, Al! Bought loads of clobber from there...flared hipster trousers, shirts with big high button-down collars, kipper ties, Regency style double breasted jackets. Thought I looked the bee's knees, but probably looked a right prat! :D

garinda 06-07-2010 13:52

Did Dusty Springfield ever play in Accy?

My late Aunt Ros said they did, but never had any confirmation.

Would be pretty early sixties.

Might even have been when she was with her brother in The Springfields.

garinda 06-07-2010 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826748)
Did Dusty Springfield ever play in Accy?

My late Aunt Ros said they did, but never had any confirmation.

Would be pretty early sixties.

Might even have been when she was with her brother in The Springfields.

Think she might have said they played the Con.

garinda 06-07-2010 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 826255)

Saw this story, and thought it might be of interest to an old Mod.

A LANDMARK hotel is being re-launched as a Northern Soul and Motown venue following a revamp to restore its former glory.
In the 1960s, hordes of ‘mods’ flocked to Burnley’s Keirby Park Hotel every week to sample one of the country’s best sprung dancefloors.

Soul revamp for Burnley hotel (From Lancashire Telegraph)

jaysay 06-07-2010 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826749)
Think she might have said they played the Con.

Can't remember her ever playing the Con G with or without the Springfields, and it was in my era when they changed from Big Band at the Con to Groups and records, Monday night was Bernard Presents

garinda 06-07-2010 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826759)
Can't remember her ever playing the Con G with or without the Springfields, and it was in my era when they changed from Big Band at the Con to Groups and records, Monday night was Bernard Presents

But didn't they have pop bands as well?
I'm sure she said she saw Herman's Hermits there.
Perhaps I'm wrong, and it wasn't the Con, but she definitely told me she saw those in Accy.

jaysay 06-07-2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826761)
But didn't they have pop bands as well?
I'm sure she said she saw Herman's Hermits there.
Perhaps I'm wrong, and it wasn't the Con, but she definitely told me she saw those in Accy.

That's what I said, Herman's Hermits, Four Pennies (the Lionel Morton Four in those days) Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, can't remember Dusty though G.

cashman 06-07-2010 15:12

had quite a few Top Line bands up the con, Wayne Fontana @ Mindbenders, Four Pennies, spring to mind, but can't remember Dusty or the Springfields, appearing anywhere in accy rindy.:confused: Johnny Kidd @ Pirates were on at the Vic in clayton le moors along wi others, possibly down yon, never went more n a couple of times.:confused:

Wynonie Harris 06-07-2010 15:20

Van Morrison & Eric Clapton...two more famous names who graced the Con stage.

garinda 06-07-2010 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826767)
had quite a few Top Line bands up the con, Wayne Fontana @ Mindbenders, Four Pennies, spring to mind, but can't remember Dusty or the Springfields, appearing anywhere in accy rindy.:confused: Johnny Kidd @ Pirates were on at the Vic in clayton le moors along wi others, possibly down yon, never went more n a couple of times.:confused:

Perhaps I'm mixed up.

When I got into Dusty, when I was about twelve, my aunt gave me all her old albums, and told me about when she saw her. I'm sure she said it was Accy, but I might well be wrong.

cashman 06-07-2010 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826769)
Perhaps I'm mixed up.

When I got into Dusty, when I was about twelve, my aunt gave me all her old albums, and told me about when she saw her. I'm sure she said it was Accy, but I might well be wrong.

Not to worry rindy.....even i was wrong....ONCE.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::;)

garinda 07-07-2010 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826766)
That's what I said, Herman's Hermits, Four Pennies (the Lionel Morton Four in those days) Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, can't remember Dusty though G.

Her first solo tour was in 1963.
She appeared on the bill with The Searchers, Freddie & The Dreamers and Brian Poole & The Tremeloes.

The tour ended at King George's Hall, Blackburn.

If Freddie and the Dreamers played the Con, could it not have been the same tour?

garinda 07-07-2010 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826862)
She appeared on the bill with The Searchers, Freddie & The Dreamers and Brian Poole & The Tremeloes.

If Freddie and the Dreamers played the Con, could it not have been the same tour?

The tour started June 6th, in Halifax, so would have been in the summer, if that's any help.

cashman 07-07-2010 08:10

Memories not what it was, but 63 it aint bad, as meself n Darwendosser started work Easter that year, am 90% certain was not 63 when Freddie @ Dreamers played the con, but later, if ya got tour list rindy, there would have to be a Blank Monday night fer it to be possible. unless the king georges gig was weekend, i reckon.

jaysay 07-07-2010 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 826862)

Were talking Accy Con here G strictly one band at a time mate:D

jaysay 07-07-2010 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826878)
Memories not what it was, but 63 it aint bad, as meself n Darwendosser started work Easter that year, am 90% certain was not 63 when Freddie @ Dreamers played the con, but later, if ya got tour list rindy, there would have to be a Blank Monday night fer it to be possible. unless the king georges gig was weekend, i reckon.

Think F and the Ds was around 65 cashy, started with groups on Mondays in about 64 I think

cashman 07-07-2010 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826886)
Think F and the Ds was around 65 cashy, started with groups on Mondays in about 64 I think

i was thinking 65, john, but wasn't sure as i never went to see em, always refused to pay fer crap. thats why i'm near sure Dusty wasn't up con, always loved her so would never have missed it.:)

jaysay 07-07-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826895)
i was thinking 65, john, but wasn't sure as i never went to see em, always refused to pay fer crap. thats why i'm near sure Dusty wasn't up con, always loved her so would never have missed it.:)

Didn't bother me what the band was like cashy, never remembered the day after anyway:D:D

garinda 07-07-2010 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826885)
Were talking Accy Con here G strictly one band at a time mate:D

Ok, I concede.

My aunt was mixed up, she must have seen her in Blackburn.

I wasn't wrong, she fed me the wrong information.

:rolleyes::D

cashman 07-07-2010 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826899)
Didn't bother me what the band was like cashy, never remembered the day after anyway:D:D

thats the differance between Drunkards n Gentlemen.:D

jaysay 07-07-2010 10:15

This thread has started me thinking, most people my age who frequented Accy Con on a Monday night remember the Four Pennies being resident the or a while until they hit the big time with Juliet, they were call the Lionel Morton Four in those, but for a while they were advertised as the Lionel Morton Four + one there was a pianist joined them occasionally, and he came from Accy, if I remember rightly he lived in the Willows Lane area, can't for the life in me remember his name, but he was a great pianist

jaysay 07-07-2010 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826901)
thats the differance between Drunkards n Gentlemen.:D

How the hell do you know:D:D:p

cashman 07-07-2010 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826905)
How the hell do you know:D:D:p

Thought that was rather obvious- I was a gentleman, you were a Drunkard.:D

jaysay 07-07-2010 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 826908)
Thought that was rather obvious- I was a gentleman, you were a Drunkard.:D

:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger:thefinger Up yours:D:D:D

Alan Gilmartin 08-07-2010 23:52

Used to drink in the Kierby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

jaysay 09-07-2010 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827293)
Used to drink in the Keirby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

You could well be right about Cranberry Alan, think the world an his wife appeared there at one time or another, maybe that's where Gs aunt saw her

garinda 09-07-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 827331)
You could well be right about Cranberry Alan, think the world an his wife appeared there at one time or another, maybe that's where Gs aunt saw her

Could be.

I've joined a couple of forums for Dustettes, and asked if she ever played Accy, or in the close vicinity, in the hope a fanatic has a list of all the venues she toured at.

Nothing so far.

jaysay 09-07-2010 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 827338)
Could be.

I've joined a couple of forums for Dustettes, and asked if she ever played Accy, or in the close vicinity, in the hope a fanatic has a list of all the venues she toured at.

Nothing so far.

She could have done Nelson Imp, or Rawtenstall Astoria, but if anywhere Cranberry would be favourite

Wynonie Harris 09-07-2010 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827293)
Used to drink in the Kierby in Burnley, but cant remember any dances for Mods, the place to be was the Mecca across the road, better than Blackburn, it was great, monday nights, it was a toss up Accy Con or Burnley mecca. We might have looked like prats now Wyn, but not then. Cant recall Dusty playing Accy at any time, she might have played Cranberry Fold in Darren.

No, I don't remember owt in the Kierby, Al. Burnley Mecca was the place to be, or Accy Con if they had a good band on like the Richard Kent Style.

Barrie Yates 09-07-2010 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 827363)
No, I don't remember owt in the Kierby, Al. Burnley Mecca was the place to be, or Accy Con if they had a good band on like the Richard Kent Style.

I think it was the Empress in Burnley and the Imperial in Nelson, Astoria in Rawtenstall in my day - and it was Eddie McGuire up the Con

Alan Gilmartin 10-07-2010 06:47

I think it was Eddie McGarry Barrie.

jaysay 10-07-2010 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827581)

I was going to correct Barrie but thought better of it Alan;):D was also going to throw in Bob Whatmouth Too:rolleyes:

Barrie Yates 10-07-2010 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 827581)

Quite right Wyn, lost a few more grey cells yesterday. Do remember Watmough, thought he started playing when he was still at AGS - Bob can probably advise on that.

MoreJoe 30-11-2010 20:02

Garinda was correct.
I can confirm seeing Dusty Springfield at the Accrington Con.
I saw her up close and was fairly shocked at the amount of makeup used to cover complexion issues.
I also saw the Lionel Morton Four +1
The piano was not amplified and no matter how hard the poor SOB hit the keys, no one could hear him over the accompanying chords from the electric guitars.

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by More Joe (Post 865848)
Garinda was correct.
I saw her up close and was fairly shocked at the amount of makeup used to cover complexion issues.
The piano was not amplified and no matter how hard the poor SOB hit the keys, no one could hear him over the accompanying chords from the electric guitars.

I was a regular every Saturday and Monday (Bernard Presents) nights from 62 to 68 and I can't remember Dusty appearing, Lionel Morton four were resident for a time on Mondays, remember the +1 pianist can still picture him, nearly sure he was an Accy Lad and lived in the Willows Lane area, but can't remember his name for the live in me.

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865918)
I was a regular every Saturday and Monday (Bernard Presents) nights from 62 to 68 and I can't remember Dusty appearing, Lionel Morton four were resident for a time on Mondays, remember the +1 pianist can still picture him, nearly sure he was an Accy Lad and lived in the Willows Lane area, but can't remember his name for the live in me.

Just looked on wikipedia and there's no mention of a pianist what-so-ever

MoreJoe 01-12-2010 18:15

The +1 piano player was definitely a pupil at the Grammar School. I think Lionel used him as an experiment for some piano based hits of the time. I think that ended quite quickly and they became the Four Pennies.

jaysay 01-12-2010 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 866048)
The +1 piano player was definitely a pupil at the Grammar School. I think Lionel used him as an experiment for some piano based hits of the time. I think that ended quite quickly and they became the Four Pennies.

I know he didn't last long, but seem to remember him going on to write lots of music

garinda 29-11-2011 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 865848)
Garinda was correct.

Wow.

Thank you!

My Aunt Ros, was right, and so was my memory, because I was sure she said it was at the Accy Con.

I was away when you posted this, and only saw it whilst noseying through your old posts, after Eric said he'd been talking to you.

Thank you so much.

:)

cashman 29-11-2011 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreJoe (Post 866048)

Nah then,me memorys not great,but which came first? 1.The Lionel Morton 4 or 2. The Four Pennies? i think its the order i printed,but wouldn't stake me life on it.

jaysay 29-11-2011 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 952825)
Nah then,me memorys not great,but which came first? 1.The Lionel Morton 4 or 2. The Four Pennies? i think its the order i printed,but wouldn't stake me life on it.

Lionel Morton Four definately cashy, then Lional Morton 4 + 1, then the Four Pennies

jaysay 29-11-2011 18:56

Reading this thread has reminded me of somat, cashy mention Bill Haley next time I see you I've an album I want to show you

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 07-02-2012 17:59

It was the Ritz & the police had dogs on guard in case we "rioted"

Stephanie Wallace 11-02-2012 04:09

I danced to Duke Ellington in Burnley - missed the last bus home so got a ride on the back of a truck. Don't know who ownd the truck. - Great night!

jaysay 11-02-2012 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace (Post 969623)
I danced to Duke Ellington in Burnley - missed the last bus home so got a ride on the back of a truck. Don't know who ownd the truck. - Great night!

Did your mum not tell you about excepting a lift from strangers:D

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 11-02-2012 13:42

It was definitely the RITZ, I remember the police dogs.:cool::cool::cool:

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 02-06-2013 16:39

It was at the Ritz & there were police dogs at the back near the exit

umpire 20-08-2013 09:27

Sure it was before then, I used to help out at the Paladium and we took out the first four rows from the stalls to allow dancing, that was the only way the licencing comittee would allow us to show it. (fire regs and suchlike) saved the place from bingo for a while.