Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   The Deck (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-deck-5355.html)

Wynonie Harris 24-03-2005 10:19

Re: The Deck

Yeah, Al, just a wooden hut, but what a wooden hut! And don't forget, apart from the jazz nights, the club also hosted folk, blues and rock bands. One night in 1969 I saw a black American guy called Champion Jack Dupree give a stunning recital of piano blues...one of the best performances I've ever seen in my life.

jelly baby 24-03-2005 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
reading the replys,noticed nobody remembers the no1 stall,as a popular meeting place in the 60s,people used to come round from the deck for the crack.anyone else remember or what?

I remember it well. It was a meeting place/hanging out place for us girls. Also the sunspot on Church St. Never played the machines much, just hung around there.

cashman 24-03-2005 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly baby
I remember it well. It was a meeting place/hanging out place for us girls. Also the sunspot on Church St. Never played the machines much, just hung around there.

dont remember the sunspot,was that the 60s or later,old age is a terrible thing.

Bazf 24-03-2005 21:21

Quote:

dont remember the sunspot,was that the 60s or later,old age is a terrible thing.

It was late sixtys, I remember when they opened the Wimpy across from the market hall/Town hall and gave everyone free tickets for Hamburgers, it was great sport trying to get as many as you could :)

cashman 24-03-2005 23:42

remember the wimpy,still cant remember the sunspot from the 60s.

Bazf 25-03-2005 00:12

The sunspot was an amusment arcade and electric bingo, I think.......

cashman 03-04-2005 16:24

just a thought,who remembers the bridge cafe on blackburn rd,before the imperial-it was down the stairs with a great jukebox,the owner could be a bit ratty though-any memories?

fireman 03-04-2005 20:05

No but what about the Blue Dalia.

cashman 03-04-2005 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman
No but what about the Blue Dalia.

check out the thread buddy.

Alan Gilmartin 28-03-2006 23:03

Hope Darren Woodhead & Garth Dawson, can find some photos from the 60s, of Mods hanging around the Deck. there must be quite a few as Mods were quite a phenomenon in those day's. Hope you can oblige Darren.

Alan Gilmartin 28-03-2006 23:07

After all, Wynonie, Cashman, myself & lots of others served there time there.

West Ender 29-03-2006 20:06

I've just read through this thread which I had somehow missed. Going back to nearly the beginning - someone mentioned Ollie Rowley. Would this be Oliver Rowley who had a brother called John and a sister Angela? Would he now be in his 60s? If so, he went to St Marys school when I did and - well, it was a shame, poor lad! If it's the right one, he would have been in a special school today.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the Wayside café, which was opposite Joe Mort's in the 1950s. It was a tiny place but it had a juke box and served the obligatory froffy coffy. It was owned by Stan (call me Stan) Forber, who had eyes a bit like Marty Feldman, and his wife Marjorie (call me Mrs Forber) Forber. Stan was a great guy and very fatherly.

And yes, the deck had railings when I used to meet friends there. I always assumed that was why it was called the deck - like a ship's deck, with railings.

Tybow 29-03-2006 20:50

Does anyone remember the cafe across from Morts. You went downstairs to it, and they made really good pies. I also went in the Spiders Web on Sunday afternoons, it was the "in" place for teenagers.

Alan Gilmartin 29-03-2006 21:43

I wonder what ever happened to, Isaac, Florrie, vito, Jimmy Lightbown, king swingers of there day, they were full of it, always had girls around them, I bet Cashman has a few stories and some answers, he was one of them.

Wynonie Harris 30-03-2006 07:28

Yeah, Al, I'd love to see some pictures of the Deck inhabitants in the 60's but I doubt that many exist. We were too busy enjoying ourselves to bother taking photos at the time! Isaac, Florrie and Vito were legendary characters in their day...kings of the Deck. Still occasionally see Florrie walking around town.

Pheonixx 31-03-2006 10:48

Does anyone remember Sudders cafe on Blackburn road it was a meeting place for bikers and greasers we used to sneak up knock a bike over then run like mad when they came out...ohh the shame of it all and did anyone go to the Northen Soul nights at the British Legion in the centre of Accy or the New Area youth club when it was run by a very strict chap I think he was called Bennet could be Jack Bennet but I may be wrong..Phe

cashman 11-04-2006 23:23

[QUOTE=West Ender]I've just read through this thread which I had somehow missed. Going back to nearly the beginning - someone mentioned Ollie Rowley. Would this be Oliver Rowley ( he died a few years ago now)

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the Wayside café, which was opposite Joe Mort's in the 1950s. It was a tiny place but it had a juke box and served the obligatory froffy coffy. It was owned by Stan (call me Stan) Forber, who had eyes a bit like Marty Feldman, and his wife Marjorie (call me Mrs Forber) Forber.= the cafe opposite joe morts (wayside) must have become ciros cafe was owned by ciro polvani in my day,his daughter used to work their sometimes, it was a great little place, some real caracters went in.:)

cashman 11-04-2006 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
I wonder what ever happened to, Isaac, Florrie, vito, Jimmy Lightbown, king swingers of there day, they were full of it, always had girls around them, I bet Cashman has a few stories and some answers, he was one of them.

isacc, vito and florrie are still about, run in to them occasionaly, don,t know what happened to jimmy? i know kev florrie still goes to the blues festival over burnley/colne way, he invited me last year but was going to spain.

Tunny 16-04-2006 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Isaac, Florrie and Vito were all real characters and permanent fixtures on the deck, or so it seemed at the time. There were actually two Tunnys who were brothers - "big" Tunny and "little" Tunny. "Little" Tunny lives down South and runs a successful mug manufacturing business. He occasionally posts on the Stanley forum on this site.

'Here I am' . . . . Little Tunny has just spotted this and has signed up on the forum. Hi Folks. There are lots of weird and wonderful memories on here for me. I probably need a week to look through the postings. I have sold my mug business and am now setting up a new business www.freelocal.co.uk www.seeitlocal.co.uk
If any body remembers me post a reply.

I can't believe that Stanley are back, I was palling around with Jimmy Harrower Junior when they lost their league status. His dad had been the manager, just prior to the end days . . . 44 years and I still have hair [ not much]

'Little Tunny'

katex 16-04-2006 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybow
I knew Jimmy Crawshaw, Mick Absolam, Stan Ridehalgh , Les Gibson, and probably most of those who went up Morts. I thought Jimmy was good when he was entertaining.

Just had an enjoyable half hour reading all these, didn't remember it being called the deck as such and didn't particularly hang out in the Blue Dahlia, however, remember all the other pubs, clubs mentioned in the early sixites.

Also remember the people above very well ... even Mick Pettifer (your husband Tybow) .. now he was a 'right' teddy boy :)

Jimmy Crow !! Well, what can you say .. a right Lothario if ever there was one. Seen me home a couple of ... had a mattress in the back of his van, living in hopes I suspect !!
Once 'snogged' me in the doorway of Catlows fruit and veg. place... took my face in his hands and declared "It was like a pomegranate ! (hmph, never had acne by the way!!). Each part is like a little seed that blossoms". Had many a laugh about this with me mates.

Used to see him later up Martholme Grange, again, not sure where he has finished up now.

Had to laugh at the remark earlier on re. women looking like women.
Even I used to go into Accrington on Saturday wearing curlers with head scarf on so that I could preen my curls into a Diane Dors hairstyle at night.
Can you imagine that now >>>>> goin' out in curlers. Aaaagh !!:eek:

jambutty 29-06-2006 14:31

A few weeks ago in an idle moment I decided that a nostalgia trip to Accrington was on the cards. Actually I was hoping to find a large flag with Accrington Stanley on it on the market but none were to be found.

I managed to find a parking spot close to the deck and took a slow stroll round to lean on the railings and ponder life in general.

I fell flat on my face!

Who removed the railings?

steeljack 29-06-2006 16:48

just came across this thread and it's like going back in a time machine to the late 60s ......just some of the names and places mentioned ...vito, isacc, the deck ,the backroom at the Derby, the little Bull and St. Johns Tavern pubs in Blackburn, (I allways like the original Yates wine lodge near the Burtons shop)
Two of the best/hottest looking girls who used to hang out downtown Accy at that time were from the west-end of Ossie , Jackie Taylor a tall gal near to 6ft and her mate Vanda/Wanda ? , Think I heard somewhere Jackie had married a dentist and emigrated to Canada. other names I remember from that time are Tony Palmer, Dave Bickerstaff, all regulars at the Blue Dahlia .

cashman 29-06-2006 23:17

tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?

Alan Gilmartin 30-06-2006 00:02

Went out with Vonda a couple of times, Talk about take your breath away. Jackie & Vonda were always together, like twins.

steeljack 30-06-2006 00:19

Alan Gilmartin wrote .........."Talk about take your breath away"

yep , bet they are both Grandmas by now ........if Jackie took after her mother she is still a crackerjack, her Mom and mine were friends from their teenage years , for some reason mine allways got misty eyed whenever they showed the movie "Yanks" on TV ..................

steeljack 30-06-2006 00:28

Quote:

tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?

Last time I saw Tony was about 1975/6 in the Catholic club in Gt. Harwood he had married an Arrod lass called Pauline Starkie/Starky ........we had both done a Further Education teachers certificate at Accy tech and I think he had a govt. job retraining laid off workers

cashman 16-07-2006 21:11

had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it.:D was just sorry had no fags on me.

steeljack 16-07-2006 21:16

got to be either Vito or Isacc .........I'll say Vito

Wynonie Harris 16-07-2006 21:17

Ain't gonna answer this one, Mr C, as you've told me already. Can't believe he hasn't changed, though...40 years on and he STILL hasn't got round to buying a packet of fags! :D

cashman 16-07-2006 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack

wrong one steeljack,but my lips are sealed.:D

Atarah 17-07-2006 14:51

Memories of The Deck

I know who it was, it MUST HAVE BEEN ISSAC aka Jeffrey Heyes.

JEFF 17-07-2006 16:12

Quote:

had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it.:D was just sorry had no fags on me.

Quote:

I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.

Wynonie Harris 17-07-2006 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF
I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.

As Steeljack currently resides in 'Frisco (the lucky sod!), I don't suppose he'll be too bothered!

Alan Gilmartin 18-07-2006 23:57

Which school did Vito & Isacc go to.?

Alan Gilmartin 19-07-2006 00:00

Come on Cash let me in on the secret.

cashman 19-07-2006 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin
Which school did Vito & Isacc go to.?

cant remember al it wasnt mine, but kev went to holy family, ;) hes one i can remember even though i didnt.

steeljack 19-07-2006 20:57

just had a flashback , must early onset of Alziemhers .....no idea where it came from , names of another couple of girls who used to hang out on the deck and Blue Dahlia during the late 60's , Betty Hope and Pat Cornwall ...........

cashman 19-07-2006 22:57

Quote:

just had a flashback , must early onset of Alziemhers .....no idea where it came from , names of another couple of girls who used to hang out on the deck and Blue Dahlia during the late 60's , Betty Hope and Pat Cornwall ...........

she was brought up on newark street if i remember correctly slim with black hair - i never knew her lol;) dont remember betty though.

steeljack 20-07-2006 02:06

Cashman ....... sounds like we were around at the same time , in that case you might remember Tommy Allen , lived on Pearl st. rode a Vespa and also a pair of sisters who lived on Barnes st. in Church ,

Wynonie Harris 20-07-2006 06:54

Quote:

and also a pair of sisters who lived on Barnes st. in Church ,

Go on, tell him, Mr C.

MITZY 20-07-2006 12:21

Tony Palmer is still in Great Harwood. (If it isn't Tony it is his brother David.)I know his daughter and son-in-law, his daughter has not long since had her 2nd child.

katex 03-12-2006 15:52

This reminded me of the places where my Mum told me she used to hang out in the early 1920's. The favourite place was similar .. everybody used to walk up and down Blackburn Road then.. that's where she met my Dad.
One long parade of young people.

Wasn't a Calder or Blue Dahlia in those days, so 'cept for the Sunday Schools, local dances, where else could you go to meet a future spouse ?

steeljack 30-04-2007 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 293462)
Go on, tell him, Mr C.

allways been a bit nervous about asking for an answer about this post ,so waited for a while, but what the hell, I think over time .........well were talking nearly 40 years ago .
no offense meant or intended for anyone

Alan Gilmartin 30-04-2007 07:58

Me too, whats the answer.

mez 30-04-2007 08:01

oh just realized alan ......yes it will be about 40yrs ago girls used to meet their dates at redmans too with lads hanging on railings on "deck"

cashman 01-05-2007 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez (Post 417643)
oh just realized alan ......yes it will be about 40yrs ago girls used to meet their dates at redmans too with lads hanging on railings on "deck"

i didnt mez - always arranged to meet em outside Copper Kettle,cos you could see what they looked like from peeping through the window of the Market Room of the Commercial;) also if they stood you up,it never interfered with drinking time.:D

Wynonie Harris 02-05-2007 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 417625)
allways been a bit nervous about asking for an answer about this post ,so waited for a while, but what the hell, I think over time .........well were talking nearly 40 years ago .
no offense meant or intended for anyone

Sorry, it was just the Alzheimer's kicking in. I was getting my streets in Church mixed up. I realised after I'd made the post that the sisters Cashy knows lived on a completely different street to the one you're talking about, so it's a case of mistaken identity. Anyway, nurse is coming round with my pills now...

cashman 02-05-2007 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 418343)
Sorry, it was just the Alzheimer's kicking in. I was getting my streets in Church mixed up. I realised after I'd made the post that the sisters Cashy knows lived on a completely different street to the one you're talking about, so it's a case of mistaken identity. Anyway, nurse is coming round with my pills now...

Thank god for that thought it was ME with alzheimers, so i kept a discreet silence on the subject.:rofl38: :rofl38:

cashman 02-05-2007 14:17

i also wondered if steeljack was on the wrong street? i knew sisters who lived just around the corner from the far end of barnes street= france street,so that could be an easy error after all these years.:)

Wynonie Harris 30-07-2007 13:15

Just realised that it's exactly 40 years since I began my apprenticeship on the Deck. Start of the school holidays, 1967, and I, as a callow 16-year old, park myself on the bench by the town hall with my more worldly-wise mate, Max. Feeling pretty cool in my new Levi 501's, bought from Milletts (next door to the Commercial) and worn in the bath to shrink, along with a new pair of Clarks desert boots. Still very much in awe of the older chaps like Isaac, Florrie and Vito, but the atmosphere is laid back and mellow and I soon feel at home. Little did I know that the next few years were going to be some of the most memorable of my life...

beechy 30-07-2007 14:47

isaac has not moved far
he can still be seen around town
unchanged in all aspects

Wynonie Harris 30-07-2007 15:09

I believe so, sightings have been reported from Cashy.

cashman 30-07-2007 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 454723)
I believe so, sightings have been reported from Cashy.

yep saw him again last week- sat on his doorstep it was Pi$$in down lol nowt ever changes.:D

beechy 30-07-2007 15:33

got me thinking now
i know i shouldnt
who was the guy around town always wore
a poncho and had a gunbelt type full of
different colored pens
and the chappie who stopped buses whilst
he put his hand under the wheels
or am i just rambling

cashman 30-07-2007 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 454727)
got me thinking now
i know i shouldnt
who was the guy around town always wore
a poncho and had a gunbelt type full of
different colored pens
and the chappie who stopped buses whilst
he put his hand under the wheels
or am i just rambling

the guy who stopped the buses was "Joseph" a polish guy who lived down clayton, a few stories relate to his manner,was something during the war i believe, the guy with the pens etc, i remember - but forget his name.;)

Wynonie Harris 30-07-2007 18:27

Polish Joseph seemed to have a death wish; he would suddenly jump into the road in front of cars and buses, then jump back onto the pavement, giving a little bow of thanks as he did. I'm sure the bandoliero wearer called himself Captain something-or-other. Can't remember what, though.

beechy 30-07-2007 18:55

once employed issac to paint a
house front for me
only to return to find his pregnant lady
doing the job with jeff at the bottom of the ladder
can in hand
thats ma boy

cashman 30-07-2007 19:08

a thing i remember about "Polish Joseph" he always carried a brown leather shopping bag, n after he had stopped a bus in the middle of blackburn rd,he would return to the pavement, wave n smile at the driver,then walk a few paces and pull a wine bottle out of his bag n have a kinda celebratory slug, no idea if it was wine? often wondered. never ever saw the guy in a pub though,wonder did anyone?

beechy 30-07-2007 19:38

urban legend once told that joseph
had been a pilot in ww2 ??
never saw him in a pub
but so plenty of him in my bus driving days

cashman 30-07-2007 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 454763)
urban legend once told that joseph
had been a pilot in ww2 ??
never saw him in a pub
but so plenty of him in my bus driving days

another was he was a doctor who was brainwashed, theres a few differant myths- who knows.

MITZY 31-07-2007 07:42

The guy with the coloured pens died several years ago, I believe he choked on his vomit, don't know his name or anything, just know this because he used to live across from a mate of mine.(That's if it was the person you are on about)

shazfury1 04-08-2007 00:08

is there anyone remembers a guy named duffy who used to hang out in the blue dahlia maybe in the late sixties. In the same crowd there was a guy called Steve. Used to meet in the Dahlia every weekday untill Chris banned them for sitting too long over a couple of drinks?

cashman 04-08-2007 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazfury1 (Post 455945)
is there anyone remembers a guy named duffy who used to hang out in the blue dahlia maybe in the late sixties. In the same crowd there was a guy called Steve. Used to meet in the Dahlia every weekday untill Chris banned them for sitting too long over a couple of drinks?

yep know a few duffys shazfury, Alan,Charlie,George, all went in the dahlia at differant times they were brothers, also 2 more brothers Pat,Liam, pat occasionally went in with me.;)

steeljack 04-08-2007 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 455948)
yep know a few duffys shazfury, Alan,Charlie,George, all went in the dahlia at differant times they were brothers, also 2 more brothers Pat,Liam, pat occasionally went in with me.;)

I'm thinking Alan Duffy would be about 61 or 62 now, a couple of years older than me , seem to remember he spent more time in the Derby than the Blue Dahlia ;)

cashman 04-08-2007 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 455950)
I'm thinking Alan Duffy would be about 61 or 62 now, a couple of years older than me , seem to remember he spent more time in the Derby than the Blue Dahlia ;)

think hes my age steeljack - pushin 60, has a building firm locally,aint seen him for yonks.

cashman 04-08-2007 10:56

the guy called steve, shaz, could well be an old mate of mine,who died recently.

Wynonie Harris 04-08-2007 19:49

He was a pretty stylish mod back in the 60's. Remember chatting to him on the Deck and admiring his full-length leather coat...a very desirable item back then.

steeljack 04-08-2007 20:20

I'm remembering there was "sub-group" amongst the folks who used to hang out on the deck , and they were the lads who went to the Grammer school on Blackburn rd. think one was Ian Alveston? , Graham Greenhalgh and others whose names I forget
I remember one year (67 or 68) meeting up with a bunch of them on a camp site near Dunkirk Belgium , me and a mate were 'hitching' to Spain but made a wrong turn at Calais , and ended up living on mussels and chips for a week,
:cool:

Wynonie Harris 04-08-2007 21:54

Don't recall Ian Alveston ever going to the Grammar School. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Tunny or Ernie Lee?

steeljack 04-08-2007 22:07

Probably am , just thought he was one of that bunch , as you said in another post its 40 years ago now, there is no chance I would put money down on being able to pick out anyone from a line-up

:cool:

beechy 05-08-2007 07:25

seem to remember ernie lee playing a good blues guitar
along with alveston back in the sixties ?

katex 05-08-2007 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 454738)
the guy who stopped the buses was "Joseph" a polish guy who lived down clayton, a few stories relate to his manner,was something during the war i believe, the guy with the pens etc, i remember - but forget his name.;)

Don't think this is the same guy Cashman, but do you ever remember a man who used to go up Accy Con .. looked polish and possibly called 'Jo' ? Don't think he ever spoke. Can see him in a grey suit and always leant against the windowsill bottom left of the ballroom. Was older than most of the punters ..mainly danced on his own all night, but would suddenly come up to you and dance without asking.

Was always there. Perhaps you're too young .. bet Mez remembers him. Dark straight greasy hair with a beak nose.

Wynonie Harris 05-08-2007 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 456422)
seem to remember ernie lee playing a good blues guitar
along with alveston back in the sixties ?

Yep, Ernie was one mean axeman and formed his own blues band in the 70's. Don't think they ever got very far.

As for Ian Alveston, arguably the best guitar player ever to come out of the Accrington area. Apparently, he still plays in a folk club up Ossy.

katex 06-08-2007 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 456705)

As for Ian Alveston, arguably the best guitar player ever to come out of the Accrington area. Apparently, he still plays in a folk club up Ossy.

I work with Ian Alveston's sister-in-law and he went to St. Mary's College, he used to play once a month for St Mary's club in Ossy, but she thinks he still plays now and then over Sowerby Bridge way. He still has numerous guitars.

He is a retired Art Teacher, taught at St. Hilda's in Burnley and now lives in Ossy up Fielding Way area.

Wynonie Harris 06-08-2007 11:09

Thanks for the info, Kate. Nice to hear he's still playing.

cashman 06-08-2007 18:47

has been noted to jam occasionally up "Lock Street,with a couple of guys i know, never been -great guitarist no question, just cant stand him.;)

shazfury1 06-08-2007 18:56

Thanks Cashman, sorry about your old mate. Was there a John Duffy do you know?

MargaretR 06-08-2007 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 457007)
has been noted to jam occasionally up "Lock Street,with a couple of guys i know, never been -great guitarist no question, just cant stand him.;)

Cashy -do you think my son is better ? - (honest opinion required - no offence will result)
Rob Livesey Band
Snatchin It Back

Wynonie Harris 06-08-2007 21:40

Margaret, very taken with your lad's guitar-picking and his band in general. Difficult to compare him to Ian Alveston, as the two have different styles. Also, very impressed to see they're on at the Colne R&B Festival. You've gotta be the business to get on the bill there.

I know you asked Cashy his opinion...hope you don't mind me putting my two pen'th in!

katex 06-08-2007 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 457007)

Don't know him myself Cashy, but my friend does describe him as being a little eccentric .. I personally love eccentric people, maybe you could think of him this way .. :D

Live across the road from a George Duffy ('bout your age) who has been known to play drums in local bands, again not sure if the same person you have mentioned previously, as don't think has any brothers .. can go and ask if you are interested.

MargaretR 06-08-2007 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 457129)
Margaret, very taken with your lad's guitar-picking and his band in general. Difficult to compare him to Ian Alveston, as the two have different styles. Also, very impressed to see they're on at the Colne R&B Festival. You've gotta be the business to get on the bill there.

I know you asked Cashy his opinion...hope you don't mind me putting my two pen'th in!

I am glad you approve - I'm very proud (but then I would be wouldn't I ;))

cashman 06-08-2007 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazfury1 (Post 457010)
Thanks Cashman, sorry about your old mate. Was there a John Duffy do you know?

yep forgot him till you mentioned shaz, knew is probably a better word aint seen him for about 25/30 years.:)

cashman 06-08-2007 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 457137)
Don't know him myself Cashy, but my friend does describe him as being a little eccentric .. I personally love eccentric people, maybe you could think of him this way .. :D

i too have a fair few eccentric mates katex but they aint obnoxious with it.:D

cashman 07-08-2007 00:00

good music margaret, particularly liked the ramsbottom gig, as wyn said though cant really compare differant styles, grieves me to say it but alveston is the best blues guitarist i ever heard out of this area. would definatly go see yer lads group if opp arose.;)

Tunny 09-08-2007 20:35

Great thread this . . .

cashman 09-08-2007 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunny (Post 458330)
Great thread this . . .

hey tunny mate,come when you can stop a bit,lol i know you must have a few tales to add.;)

Wynonie Harris 10-08-2007 12:44

Yep, come on, Tunny, you must have some good tales to tell about your crew...Marsh Pickup, Jim Harrower and the rest of 'em!

Tunny 10-08-2007 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 458543)
Yep, come on, Tunny, you must have some good tales to tell about your crew...Marsh Pickup, Jim Harrower and the rest of 'em!

Told you it was a good thread . . . I reckon if random blood testing had taken place the Dahlia would have been blue . . . .

I'm going to place a poser on Nostalgia . . . see if you can answer it.

Alan Gilmartin 03-08-2008 08:39

Its been a year since we met on the deck. So Wynonie, Mr C, Steeljack, Jaysay, lets meet up and get the train up to Glasgow. And have a look at the Glasgow Mods. Glasgow Mods WebSite » Glasgow Mods - R&B, British Beat Music, Motown, Northern Soul Some interesting stuff on there.

steeljack 03-08-2008 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 614202)
Its been a year since we met on the deck. So Wynonie, Mr C, Steeljack, Jaysay, lets meet up and get the train up to Glasgow. And have a look at the Glasgow Mods. Glasgow Mods WebSite » Glasgow Mods - R&B, British Beat Music, Motown, Northern Soul Some interesting stuff on there.

Doesn't seem a year has passed since this thread was last addressed , "where has the time gone, apart from more nose and ear hair " ;) for some reason I allways remember Accrington 'wakes' weeks coinciding with the Glasgow'fair' when all the Glaswegian/Gorbals tongs (gangs)were in the same resorts as us , (Isle of Man/Blackpool) , beautiful lasses but nasty malefolk , allways looking for a battle .

cashman 03-08-2008 09:57

good site al, good footage on the mods n rockers t-party down clacton n brighton, just a shame the big one on the "Deck" was never filmed.:D

jaysay 03-08-2008 10:58

That brings back happy memories, "I'll meet thi on't Deck at 8 o'clock on Satdy neet" can't remember how man times I said that little line in my teens. Seem to remember also that in the late 70s the "mods" used to hang round the Copper Kettle Cafe on Peel Street, with all the scooters parked outside, grea big long arrials on them:cool:

Alan Gilmartin 04-08-2008 00:08

Yea Steely, I remember Glasgow Fair too, Blackpool etc, they used to take over, worked a season at Butlin's, in Wales. and they used to wreck the place, if we saw a mob coming towards us we'd walk the other way or run.

joaner3 04-08-2008 01:55

I used to meet on the Deck on Saturday nights, one of the guys we called John the hippie. I went to Rhyddings with him. We used to hang out at the Blue Dahlia when everyone was "popping pills". And I used to ride on some of the "Mods" scooters after the disco had finished. Those where the days. I think Accy has gone to pot. I will be over in the UK in Sept, so I will see what changes have been made.

Wynonie Harris 04-08-2008 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 614202)

Right, Al, well thanks for the trip up to Glasgow. Time to come back down South now to talk to some English mods www.modculture.co.uk

cashman 04-08-2008 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 614559)
Right, Al, well thanks for the trip up to Glasgow. Time to come back down South now to talk to some English mods www.modculture.co.uk

me mate used to speak to them on the deck, with a shillelagh.:D

Barrie Yates 30-05-2009 09:37

Thank you all, what wonderfull memories this thread has brought back. The "deck" was "the" meeting place in the early/mid 50's - the other side of the town Hall entrance was the Haslingden/Rawtenstall/Bacup bus stop.
My first date with my wife to be was an arrangement to meet on the deck on a Sunday evening. I waited in the Elite Snooker club to watch the deck, to make sure I knew whom I had arranged to meet :-))) We were married for almost 48 years, and together for over 50 years from that first meeting.
The "Melbo" was the only coffee bar in those days - the introduction of the juke box and frothy coffee.
Thank you fro re-kindling some wonderfull mmemories

jaysay 30-05-2009 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 717680)
Thank you all, what wonderfull memories this thread has brought back. The "deck" was "the" meeting place in the early/mid 50's - the other side of the town Hall entrance was the Haslingden/Rawtenstall/Bacup bus stop.
My first date with my wife to be was an arrangement to meet on the deck on a Sunday evening. I waited in the Elite Snooker club to watch the deck, to make sure I knew whom I had arranged to meet :-))) We were married for almost 48 years, and together for over 50 years from that first meeting.
The "Melbo" was the only coffee bar in those days - the introduction of the juke box and frothy coffee.
Thank you fro re-kindling some wonderfull mmemories

The Elite Snooker Club Barry, used to nick of school and spend the afternoon it the Elite, up the stairs, dark and dank, those were he days:D

keith higson 04-06-2009 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darby (Post 81197)
Pendy,

I'm sure it was the car...............Jensens were quite rare.
So it was you sat at the bar in the Astronaut......Do you remember a woman (not a girl you understand), quite attractive, petite etc., called Jean? She was almost a fixture in there.

Jimmy Crow, Mick Absolom, Ben Watson...they were the spivs of the day (60's and early 70's)...remember any of them?

Wynonie,
The only pub that I'd go into in the town centre is the Arden or the Warners....But not at night. Almost all pubs, anywhere, have been devastated and are normally full of the yob culture, they have to be so, just to make a living. But with a 33cl bottle of Bud costing £2.50 or more, they can stick 'em.

Naturally there are still a few good 'uns. Like the Stag, Rose & Crown, Heys Inn, but not many more.

Jimmy Crow and Mick Absolam (who at one time wasdin the Merchant Navy( used to drink in the "Nags Head".

bicky 22-07-2009 21:55

I was one of the mod dudes with my brother Tony and Jimmy Lightbown, also isaac, vito, Tom Robinson, Dave Tunnicliffe etc. spent many a happy hour watching the girls walking by.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...cons/icon7.gif