Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   The Deck (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/the-deck-5355.html)

jambutty 29-06-2006 14:31

Re: The Deck

A few weeks ago in an idle moment I decided that a nostalgia trip to Accrington was on the cards. Actually I was hoping to find a large flag with Accrington Stanley on it on the market but none were to be found.

I managed to find a parking spot close to the deck and took a slow stroll round to lean on the railings and ponder life in general.

I fell flat on my face!

Who removed the railings?

steeljack 29-06-2006 16:48

just came across this thread and it's like going back in a time machine to the late 60s ......just some of the names and places mentioned ...vito, isacc, the deck ,the backroom at the Derby, the little Bull and St. Johns Tavern pubs in Blackburn, (I allways like the original Yates wine lodge near the Burtons shop)
Two of the best/hottest looking girls who used to hang out downtown Accy at that time were from the west-end of Ossie , Jackie Taylor a tall gal near to 6ft and her mate Vanda/Wanda ? , Think I heard somewhere Jackie had married a dentist and emigrated to Canada. other names I remember from that time are Tony Palmer, Dave Bickerstaff, all regulars at the Blue Dahlia .

cashman 29-06-2006 23:17

tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?

Alan Gilmartin 30-06-2006 00:02

Went out with Vonda a couple of times, Talk about take your breath away. Jackie & Vonda were always together, like twins.

steeljack 30-06-2006 00:19

Alan Gilmartin wrote .........."Talk about take your breath away"

yep , bet they are both Grandmas by now ........if Jackie took after her mother she is still a crackerjack, her Mom and mine were friends from their teenage years , for some reason mine allways got misty eyed whenever they showed the movie "Yanks" on TV ..................

steeljack 30-06-2006 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
tony palmer - steeljack thats a real blast from the past, aint seen him since very early 70s,wonder where he is now?

Last time I saw Tony was about 1975/6 in the Catholic club in Gt. Harwood he had married an Arrod lass called Pauline Starkie/Starky ........we had both done a Further Education teachers certificate at Accy tech and I think he had a govt. job retraining laid off workers

cashman 16-07-2006 21:11

had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it.:D was just sorry had no fags on me.

steeljack 16-07-2006 21:16

got to be either Vito or Isacc .........I'll say Vito

Wynonie Harris 16-07-2006 21:17

Ain't gonna answer this one, Mr C, as you've told me already. Can't believe he hasn't changed, though...40 years on and he STILL hasn't got round to buying a packet of fags! :D

cashman 16-07-2006 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack

wrong one steeljack,but my lips are sealed.:D

Atarah 17-07-2006 14:51

Memories of The Deck

I know who it was, it MUST HAVE BEEN ISSAC aka Jeffrey Heyes.

JEFF 17-07-2006 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
had to mention was walking on the deck end of last week,going to the chemist on peel st, who did i bump into with a bandana round his head,beard,torn trolleys, wheeling a pushbike, i was with clayton dave (the taxman lol), and this guy says hi have you got a fag, i cracked up laughing just reminded me of him in the 60s, come on you older gits WHO was it.:D was just sorry had no fags on me.

Quote:

I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.

Wynonie Harris 17-07-2006 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF
I don't think Vito will be very pleased with that. I'll show it to him when I see him.

As Steeljack currently resides in 'Frisco (the lucky sod!), I don't suppose he'll be too bothered!

Alan Gilmartin 18-07-2006 23:57

Which school did Vito & Isacc go to.?

Alan Gilmartin 19-07-2006 00:00

Come on Cash let me in on the secret.