Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Cobbled streets (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/cobbled-streets-56841.html)

talentedbutslow 15-02-2011 19:30

Cobbled streets

When I was a kid, my own street and heaps of surrounding streets were all cobbled.Some recent pictures I have seen have my own street all tarmac....I wonder when this change took place and whether there are still any cobbled streets around?

heth 15-02-2011 19:37

Re: Cobbled streets

My street was cobbled and flagged when I were a kid, I think approx 20years ago as I can remember it!

It used to be murder on your bike going up and down!! ;)

Romps 15-02-2011 19:40

Our street is cobbled, the tarmac has only recently been removed, it looks so much better, we live in a conservation area I can't believe they ever put tarmac on it! It's Rhyddings Street in Oswaldtwistle.

lancsdave 15-02-2011 19:40

The bottom of Carter St is still cobbled

wadey 15-02-2011 20:13

I think they are "setts"

walkinman221 15-02-2011 20:32

Thats correct cobbles are stone washed stones from river for example.

garinda 15-02-2011 20:38

Most are still there, under the tarmac.

You can see them, through the potholes.

accyman 15-02-2011 20:42

the council tore up the cobbles on my back alley a few years ago and sold them to god knows who.They must have got lots of money for them though if it covered the cost of tearing up a back alley and tarmacing it.

talentedbutslow 15-02-2011 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 883786)
The bottom of Carter St is still cobbled

I used to go down that steep bit past the Old Band Club on a sledge after it snowed (bloody dangerous with Victoria St at the bottom there) Council used to spoil our fun higher up Carter St by shovelling cinders everywhere:mad:....

wallop79 15-02-2011 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by talentedbutslow (Post 883777)
When I was a kid, my own street and heaps of surrounding streets were all cobbled.Some recent pictures I have seen have my own street all tarmac....I wonder when this change took place and whether there are still any cobbled streets around?

It was great fun as a kid getting yer magnifying glass out & melting the tar between the stones, well it was until I got home & got shouted at off ma & pa for being filthy ! Thats probably why they got rid of the cobbled streets too many kids getting smacked & shouted at for going home dirty after spending hours melting tar !! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

walkinman221 15-02-2011 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 883856)
Most are still there, under the tarmac.

You can see them, through the potholes.

Should be able to see plenty then:rolleyes::D

accyman 15-02-2011 20:52

the good thing about cobled streets is that boy racers have to go slow in their lowered corsas etc or their front spoliers get torn off or their oversized rear end exhausts :D

walkinman221 15-02-2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 883879)
the good thing about cobled streets is that boy racers have to go slow in their lowered corsas etc or their front spoliers get torn off or their oversized rear end exhausts :D

You forgot the word noisy, it would slow them down that would be good :)

Gordon Booth 15-02-2011 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 883862)
tThey must have got lots of money for them though if it covered the cost of tearing up a back alley and tarmacing it.

If you have cobbles(or setts) keep an eye on them, yes they're worth a fortune. So are real 'flags', try buying second hand flags. There have been cases of setts and flags dug up and disappeared, even from back yards.

heth 15-02-2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 883889)
If you have cobbles(or setts) keep an eye on them, yes they're worth a fortune. So are real 'flags', try buying second hand flags. There have been cases of setts and flags dug up and disappeared, even from back yards.

Right who's coming out with me 2moro digging up the tarmac,:eek: sod working!!! ;)