Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2006, 02:16   #1
God Member

60s Icons and getting older

read recently that singer/chanteuse Marianne Faithfull has been diagnosed with breast cancer , God willing ,hopefully she will respond to treatment and be okay. whatever the ups and downs in her personal life she has in my opinion allways been the consumate artist , from her "dolly bird" days in the 60s thru "Broken English" one of the best comeback albums ever in the late 70s thru the latest "Berlin Diaries" she has recored some great work.
Anyway without wanting to sound too maudlin and without putting her in her grave, I wonder which other 60s figures/icons members of this forum have a deep affection for ? and for what reason .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2006, 08:36   #2
mez
God Member

Re: 60s Icons and getting older

mine has to be billy fury .....i loved his songs (mabe had a yen for him too) being a great fan of his in the 50's 60's best era to have been a teenager .....pity he died so young ...but i have many many more ....& just aquired a record deck ...guess what ? im back there again .....heaven .
Old 17-09-2006, 08:56   #3
Resident Waffler

OOOOh - PJ Proby!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 11:21   #4
I am Banned

Mine has to be ooooo how ironic to thread starter is 'The Rolling Stones' without them im sure Mariannes career wouldn't of kicked off & they should of released tears go by as theirs a better version but hey ho its opinion lol. How long is Keith Richards gonna rock ? They've done a tour this year a friend of mine went to Berlin to see them & they are apparently still going strong despite certainly Keiths rock n roll 60's living lifestyle.

Hope they rock on for some time yet, they're music is timeless & ive have their back catalogue & im near half their age
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 13:56   #5
Resident Waffler

Keith Richards is going to feature in the next Pirates of the Caribbean as Johnny Depp's Dad.

Old 17-09-2006, 14:08   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Keith Richards is going to feature in the next Pirates of the Caribbean as Johnny Depp's Dad.
Sure that he aint going to be his grandad
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 14:15   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Sure that he aint going to be his grandad
Ah but the sea air weathers yer skin like, so can get away with it

I'm with Mez on Billy Fury .. only one I fancied :e29: 'Be Mine Tonight' :e29: Yeh, bring it on Billy
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 14:31   #8
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
mine has to be billy fury .....i loved his songs (mabe had a yen for him too) being a great fan of his in the 50's 60's best era to have been a teenager .....pity.
Oh mez me too,He could have knocked upon my door anytime.and typed a letter,and I would willingly have done the hippy hippy shake ,but then thats love..........SORRY for confusing people who dont know who he was..
Then there was The King Elvis,,,and going back even further i loved Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray........
Old 17-09-2006, 21:20   #9
Accy Goddess

For me it's got to be the Peter Pan of pop - Cliff Richard and The King both would make me go weak at the knees.
I used to think Peter Noon was quite dishy too.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 21:21   #10
Resident Waffler

Aw he was sweet wasn't he? All teeth and smiles.

Old 17-09-2006, 22:53   #11
white rabbits

was he into something good? Ena sharples tele grandson,
Old 17-09-2006, 23:11   #12
God Member

Grannyclaret, ....I allway thought it was Davy Jones out of the Monkees who played the grandson. but I know better than to argue
Old 17-09-2006, 23:42   #13
Senior Member+

I'm not too sure there, John, Herman was in Corrie at one point. My memory isn't as good as it was, lol. I remember the pics I had on my bedroom wall up Holland Street though. Cliff, loads of them, Herman, The Four Pennies, Sonny and Cher and the Small Faces............now I look at scenes from Weymouth.............flippin' heck!!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 00:54   #14
God Member

oh yea of little faith ....
http://www.marstalent.com/bio_davy_jones.htm
Old 18-09-2006, 00:59   #15
God Member

Peter Noone played Len Faircloughs son , Stanley (wonder how many lads have been christened Stanley in recent years)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Noone

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..