Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:32   #1
I am Banned

60's uncovered time capsule

Got a great new toy of the moment, that makes stripping walls easier, but also gets wallpaper off cleaner without damaging the wall. Amazing what u can uncover hidden under wallpaper, they call youngsters of today, but u child of the moons were no different hehehe, my chimney breast resembles the back of a bog door or park bench - altho a lot cleaner in language!!

Were u children of the 60's allowed to graffiti on the walls as it was probably classed as self expressionism or was it fashionable?? Im rather curious, 60's was a fasinating decade [i wasn't a thought then]. These people [ yes Doug You will know them - Lousie J - spring any bells?] have made their mark in time - before the the thought of current time capsules. Earliest date is 1963 - 1968 are these graffiti sig time marks.

Facinating blip from the past
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: 60's uncovered time capsule

so all that wallpaper has been on for nearly 40 years?

i write on my walls before i decorate, with dates so when i come to strip again i know how long it was before i did it...lol, also measure me kids heights and they like to look to see how much they grown
Old 07-06-2007, 09:52   #3
Senior Member+

We had a renovation job several years ago & as the floorboards were up i decided to leave a time capsule thing in the space below.Couple of footy shirts newspaper,photos,bit of a letter.etc.Also graffited walls with black marker but when the paper went on it showed throughHad to cover it & re paper
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
decided to leave a time capsule thing in the space below.Couple of footy shirts
You've just given me a great and novel idea for the new wallpaper. I was wondering how to use several years worth of redundant football shirts
Old 07-06-2007, 10:21   #5
God Member

A bloke I once worked with found 7 foot paintings of laurel and Hardy under the wallpaper of his house when he stripped it back to plaster. They were so good he left them showing for a few months

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
so all that wallpaper has been on for nearly 40 years
Err yes there was 2 layers on top at most, havent found anymore yet, tho when i moved in my daughters room before i decorated it had i love wham & graffiti from the previous tenents daughter - i know they moved in in 70/71 because they had this house 31 years before i moved in, tho the chimney breast one is the previous tennant before that
Old 07-06-2007, 14:55   #7
Member.

Pictures Please…….

I remember Louise J very well “Where are you now Louise” any others Mel? Go on tell us what was being said 30 odd years ago.

If any one at number 21 wants to get the air vent off the wall in the little bedroom and fish around in the cavity you never know what you might find…….

Would also love to hear from Mandy or Lyn H. Fred S and Butch's little sister?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 15:00   #8
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Err yes there was 2 layers on top at most, havent found anymore yet, tho when i moved in my daughters room before i decorated it had i love wham & graffiti from the previous tenents daughter - i know they moved in in 70/71 because they had this house 31 years before i moved in, tho the chimney breast one is the previous tennant before that

Dare I ask if I can come over and have a look at your breast before you get it all covered again........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-06-2007, 16:32   #9
I am Banned

Cant find u mentioned Doug - but someone loved Dale a lot Gaz is mentioned, also Kath J dated 7/6/68, a lesley is mentioned

So go on whats in the vent so i can tell no 21 lol!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 16:37   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Dare I ask if I can come over and have a look at your breast before you get it all covered again........
LOL dont think Dave will be amused at you looking at my breast blimey not only is my big bush famous but u wanna come & look at me grafiti wall too if ya passing dont when its going to be papered so could be here a bit

May try pics tho may not be clear enough.
Old 07-06-2007, 16:39   #11
I am Banned

Stipped the rest of the walls & no more except previous tennent daughter who added her name.

One ponders the rest of the house now tho bathroom, kitchen & toilet room are down to original plaster & nowt there for what i can see.
Old 07-06-2007, 16:42   #12
I am Banned

So whats the people u know on my wall like way back then Doug ???
Old 07-06-2007, 16:49   #13
Member.

Quote:
Cant find u mentioned Doug - but someone loved Dale a lot Gaz is mentioned, also Kath J dated 7/6/68, a lesley is mentioned

So go on whats in the vent so i can tell no 21 lol!!!

I can't just remember if Louise had an older sister are not. Kath might have been Lou's mother? Not sure about Dale, but there was one round the corner and an older lad that live on Willows lane just across from Miller Fold. I remember a Gaz but can't remember a surname. Get some piccys. Ask Dave to take them then we can see them.

All sorts went down the cavity from tiny green toy solders, an Airfix model plane, Fags, a cigar or two, sweets and bars of Choclate. I also use to stash my money in there until some one pointed out that what went in fell down the cavity, so there's a few quid in coins down their.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-06-2007, 16:52   #14
I am Banned

just managed to discipher one of the messages

Kimbley is innocent!! in caps think is something to do with a lad pmsl hope its not murderous
Old 07-06-2007, 16:52   #15
Member.

Quote:
Stipped the rest of the walls & no more except previous tennent daughter who added her name.

One ponders the rest of the house now tho bathroom, kitchen & toilet room are down to original plaster & nowt there for what i can see.
The bog was a good place. I use to draw on the wall when we first moved up there. Never had an in side loo until then. I remember my dad writing on the bathroom, back bedroom and Kitchen walls when decorating

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..