Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Huncoat Youth Club (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/huncoat-youth-club-65880.html)

taddy 16-03-2014 15:40

Huncoat Youth Club

Hi all, I am a newcomer to the Accrington Web but an elderly gent of the village of Huncoat, I have lived in the village for sixty years this year.
A mate and I were reminiscing recently about the youth club that used to be held in huncoat junior school in the 1950/60s, the topic was the name of the leader, organizer, whatever they were called in those far of days.
All that we could remember was that he was a large approachable guy who I think came from Burnley, is anyone on this web blessed with a better memory than two elderly gentlemen of Huncoat.:):):)

ossy kid 17-03-2014 16:27

Re: Huncoat Youth Club

Careful Taddy, I used to go to Huncoat youth club in the late 50s and I don't consider myself ELDERLY. Now what was your question?

Bob Dobson 17-03-2014 16:41

I have sent one off to Ralph & Amy Bracewell, who probably attended HYC

taddy 17-03-2014 20:13

Hi Bob, would you by any chance be related to Charlie Dobson who lived in the so called Russel houses on Burnley road?, he had a son who was a mate of mine at Woodnook school; name of Brian.
Yours Taddy

taddy 30-03-2014 20:41

Come on people, surely i'm not the only one on this web site who went to Huncoat youth club in the late 50s, early 60s,Who was the big guy who used to run the club ? :punsure:

Bob Dobson 30-03-2014 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1098264)
Hi Bob, would you by any chance be related to Charlie Dobson who lived in the so called Russel houses on Burnley road?, he had a son who was a mate of mine at Woodnook school; name of Brian.
Yours Taddy

Not one of my family so far as I am aware,

Margaret Pilkington 30-03-2014 21:28

Teddy, were you at Woodnook school at the same time as Roy Wallace and Patrick Varley?

ossy kid 31-03-2014 04:00

Taddy, the only "old" person I can remember at the youth club was Ronnie Howland who was also a teacher at the tech up Ossy. There are some photo's on here if you search back through the archives. Incidentally we had a great football team there in the late 50s.

cashman 31-03-2014 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1100556)
Teddy, were you at Woodnook school at the same time as Roy Wallace and Patrick Varley?

There was 2 geezers i supped wi fer years in 60s.;) Sadly Pats long gone, n Roys in a electric buggy.:(

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2014 19:07

I used to see Patrick on the bus to Blackburn sometimes. Not sure if he recognised me in uniform though.

cashman 31-03-2014 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1100655)
I used to see Patrick on the bus to Blackburn sometimes. Not sure if he recognised me in uniform though.

If that was when he was going down rovers,i was usually wi him.;)

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2014 19:49

No Cashy, it was on the early morning bus....ten minutes to six....I was going on duty.....and it was the bus from Burnley(though he could have hopped on at the Load of Mischief).

Margaret Pilkington 31-03-2014 19:52

I can remember the name 'taddy'.....not sure if taddy would know my brothers....Mick and Peter.....strange though I can't put a face to the name. Not like me at all. Have a good memory for names and faces.

taddy 01-04-2014 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1100556)

Yes Margaret, I remember Roy and Patrick well, in fact Patrick and I both played football for Woodnook school, Pat Varley was the Captain.
It's only the other day I was looking at the Woodnook football team photograph and I have said many times that I must take it down to the Accy Observer office and get them to print it in their paper.

I am presuming rightly or wrongly that Pilkington is your married name, if so what is the surname of your brothers Mick and Peter?
Yours, Taddy, 67 years old white haired on the outside but 21 and pure gold on the inside.

taddy 01-04-2014 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1100575)
Taddy, the only "old" person I can remember at the youth club was Ronnie Howland who was also a teacher at the tech up Ossy. There are some photo's on here if you search back through the archives. Incidentally we had a great football team there in the late 50s.

Thanks for that, if I can figure out how to access the archives I'll have a look.
Cannot remember a Ronnie Howland unfortunately