Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Enid Blyton!!!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/enid-blyton-8604.html)

fibi 17-03-2005 17:53

Enid Blyton!!!!

After a discussion today at work about my colleagues child who is currently reading Enid Blyton's The Wishing Chair. I wondered how many Accy Webbers had been brought up on Enid Blyton and what their favorite book or books were.

Mine were The Magic Far Away Tree/Enchanted Wood - I always wished I could go to one of the lands at the top of the tree. I wanted friends like Moonface and Silky.
Other faves were Mallory Towers and St Clares and The Naughtiest Girl In the School...

So anyone else out there have any favorites

wayneyboy1942 17-03-2005 19:56

Re: Enid Blyton!!!!

Grannyclaret(my Mum) used to read us Enid Blyton stories when we was young Fibi, Noddy was a fav (it's got a pc makeover now!) famous five secret seven,they were good stories and even if she is now demonised by some I still like her work.

fibi 17-03-2005 20:00

A few of the Blyton books have had a PC makeover...alas no more fannie and dick

grannyclaret 17-03-2005 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibi
After a discussion today at work about my colleagues child who is currently reading Enid Blyton's The Wishing Chair. I wondered how many Accy Webbers had been brought up on Enid Blyton and what their favorite book or books were.

Mine were The Magic Far Away Tree/Enchanted Wood - I always wished I could go to one of the lands at the top of the tree. I wanted friends like Moonface and Silky.
Other faves were Mallory Towers and St Clares and The Naughtiest Girl In the School...

So anyone else out there have any favorites

oh my god i loved enid blyton ;;;;when i was a kid i thrived on any of her books ,,mallory towers and.st clares ,(midnight feasts and madomasell,the french teacher ,,,,,
secret seven ,,the mystery books ,with fatty ,,the adventure books with the parrot kiki,,,
the very first enid blyton i read was called ,the secret island ,,i can still remember the opening lines to this day and i am now 63 ,,,i agree some of her stuff would not be politicly corect today ,but i loved it ,,,,,

WillowTheWhisp 17-03-2005 23:07

I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven. I always used to wish I could find mysteries to solve like they did.

mez 18-03-2005 10:54

so was mine willow THE FAMOUS FIVE, SECRET SEVEN best books out for me then, i even watched them on telly when they did a series of them.

fibi 18-03-2005 11:01

I was more Secret Seven than famous five although I did watch the series of the FF on TV

pendy 18-03-2005 17:28

I had all the Famous Five books, and most of the Secret Seven. Mind you, if you let your children carry on like that today, Social Services would have a field day!

pendy 18-03-2005 17:28

P.S. I always thought Anne was soppy, though, and Julian was a bit iffy!

lindsay ormerod 18-03-2005 17:38

We weren't allowed Enid Blyton books;both my parents had been librarians and thought her work abhorrent.My Dad went off his rocker when he discovered that my primary school teacher was reading "the Wishing Chair" to us!I don't think I suffered from EB withdrawal though,but I won't encourage my little 'un to read them either!

yerself 18-03-2005 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibi
I was more Secret Seven

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy
I had all the Famous Five books, and most of the Secret Seven.

I bet you all had a secret crush on Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

ANNE 18-03-2005 22:27

I loved Enid Blyton when I was a child.
I liked the famous five best.
MUMMIBOO also enjoyed her bed time stories.

-pixie 19-03-2005 08:36

I have pretty much every Enid Blyton book ever stored at my parents house - they can't clear out my room because I just cannot bear to get rid of them. I honestly couldn't pick a favourite if I tried - I loved them all.:)