Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2005, 17:53   #1

Talking Enid Blyton!!!!

After a discussion today at work about my colleagues child who is currently reading Enid Blyton's The Wishing Chair. I wondered how many Accy Webbers had been brought up on Enid Blyton and what their favorite book or books were.

Mine were The Magic Far Away Tree/Enchanted Wood - I always wished I could go to one of the lands at the top of the tree. I wanted friends like Moonface and Silky.
Other faves were Mallory Towers and St Clares and The Naughtiest Girl In the School...

So anyone else out there have any favorites

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2005, 19:56   #2

Re: Enid Blyton!!!!

Grannyclaret(my Mum) used to read us Enid Blyton stories when we was young Fibi, Noddy was a fav (it's got a pc makeover now!) famous five secret seven,they were good stories and even if she is now demonised by some I still like her work.

Last edited by wayneyboy1942; 17-03-2005 at 19:58.
wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 20:00   #3

A few of the Blyton books have had a PC makeover...alas no more fannie and dick

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
Old 17-03-2005, 22:01   #4
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibi
After a discussion today at work about my colleagues child who is currently reading Enid Blyton's The Wishing Chair. I wondered how many Accy Webbers had been brought up on Enid Blyton and what their favorite book or books were.

Mine were The Magic Far Away Tree/Enchanted Wood - I always wished I could go to one of the lands at the top of the tree. I wanted friends like Moonface and Silky.
Other faves were Mallory Towers and St Clares and The Naughtiest Girl In the School...

So anyone else out there have any favorites
oh my god i loved enid blyton ;;;;when i was a kid i thrived on any of her books ,,mallory towers and.st clares ,(midnight feasts and madomasell,the french teacher ,,,,,
secret seven ,,the mystery books ,with fatty ,,the adventure books with the parrot kiki,,,
the very first enid blyton i read was called ,the secret island ,,i can still remember the opening lines to this day and i am now 63 ,,,i agree some of her stuff would not be politicly corect today ,but i loved it ,,,,,
Old 17-03-2005, 23:07   #5
Resident Waffler

I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven. I always used to wish I could find mysteries to solve like they did.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 10:54   #6
mez
God Member

so was mine willow THE FAMOUS FIVE, SECRET SEVEN best books out for me then, i even watched them on telly when they did a series of them.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:01   #7

I was more Secret Seven than famous five although I did watch the series of the FF on TV

Old 18-03-2005, 17:28   #8
Resting in peace

I had all the Famous Five books, and most of the Secret Seven. Mind you, if you let your children carry on like that today, Social Services would have a field day!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 17:28   #9
Resting in peace

P.S. I always thought Anne was soppy, though, and Julian was a bit iffy!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 17:38   #10
Senior Member+

We weren't allowed Enid Blyton books;both my parents had been librarians and thought her work abhorrent.My Dad went off his rocker when he discovered that my primary school teacher was reading "the Wishing Chair" to us!I don't think I suffered from EB withdrawal though,but I won't encourage my little 'un to read them either!
Old 18-03-2005, 18:25   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I loved The Famous Five and The Secret Seven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibi
I was more Secret Seven
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I had all the Famous Five books, and most of the Secret Seven.
I bet you all had a secret crush on Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 22:27   #12
Accy Goddess

I loved Enid Blyton when I was a child.
I liked the famous five best.
MUMMIBOO also enjoyed her bed time stories.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 08:36   #13

I have pretty much every Enid Blyton book ever stored at my parents house - they can't clear out my room because I just cannot bear to get rid of them. I honestly couldn't pick a favourite if I tried - I loved them all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..