Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2010, 15:04   #1
Resting in Peace

Accrington Pipe Band

The daughter came round today and brought an observer with her, there is a great article in about the Accrington Pipe Bad, recognised quite a few names quoted in the piece. Roger Colbridged lived at the top of Monarch Street where I grew up, its now the civic society's place, he was also a partner in T & E Harrisons Joiners down the Straits, my Father served his time there and worked there until the late fifties, others I recognised Syd Stokes was storeman at Shopfitters Jack Wilcox is another familiar name. This article is one of the best I've seen in the Obs for a while worth reading
Old 19-03-2010, 16:13   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington Pipe Band

They practice at the St Johns ambulance place on Eagle Street John. Can often be heard in the summer as they are outside in the nice weather.
Old 19-03-2010, 16:53   #3

Trevor Stokes, (the now pipe major) used to be my step dad, YEARS ago.

I used to absolutely LOVE going to their practices and going along with them when they were in the carnivals, functions etc,,, Whilst with them, I learned to play Scotland The Brave on the bagpipes, and also became their Highland Dancer for functions. (I was a mere teenager then though ). Roger Colbridged was the Drum Major back then. The Fletcher family were all in it too, Eric playing the sneer Drum, and Terry and Jason on the pipes! I can remember lots of them! xx

It was such a shame their marriage didn't work out, I gave it all up out of respect for my mother. If I could turn back time, who knows, Maybe I'd actually have made it into the band by now!! (women weren't allowed back then for some unknown reason)

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 16:57   #4

There is a Facebook page for them if you're on there!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/accrington.pipeband?ref=ts

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..