Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 12:36   #1

Accy Fair

Accy fair........the only time you could get black peas and candyfloss....and get to perv on the women on the whip,the waltzer and the big wheel... .my favourite though was the dodgem cars....always down the bottom of Ellisons Tenement...in those days the ride used to last about 2 mins....plenty of time to smash into anyone you wanted.... .one day I must have targetted someones girlfriend,cos I was chased all over the fair by 4 teddy boys and only escaped by running down the lane near the Hippodrome...where my Lambretta was parked......then quick getaway to Dutton St for a coffee.....forget the name of the place...but you looked outside and there were sunken toilets.....and always 10 scooters parked there....the view inside was usually more appealing cos some attractive birds got in there...and if you gauged it right...you could sit there and drool all night over 3 coffees .....then.......up the road to abbey st chippy for a fish supper before going home......ahhh.....the memories....

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2006, 14:04   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Accy Fair

Aahh - happy days. I remember the waltzer, my friends Frances and Hilary and me getting spun round so that we slid sideways and those hen's bottom underskirts we all wore in the early 60s flying over our heads - and pretending to object! With the lads hanging round checking out the legs .... we looked forward to fair week all year.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 19:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Aahh - happy days. I remember the waltzer, my friends Frances and Hilary and me getting spun round so that we slid sideways
Quote:
and those hen's bottom underskirts we all wore in the early 60s flying over our heads -
and pretending to object! With the lads hanging round checking out the legs .... we looked forward to fair week all year.

oh......so it was you I was perving on....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 23:42   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the wage in the 60s was thirty bob a day on the gaff and the gaff lads were never short of a young lady or two. but thats another story.
Old 15-04-2006, 06:27   #5

I was once standing under (what they called)the big wheel posing, kitted out in black crombie,ben shearman,two tone keks and the like when some silly cow on the wheel spewed all over me!.. street cred out the window!
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 23:19   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just reminded me this thread, Ellisons Tenement was where i first met "Tosh", though i was unconscious at the time. would be mid/late 60s i reckon n we been mates since.
Old 20-03-2009, 17:49   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just reminded me this thread, Ellisons Tenement was where i first met "Tosh", though i was unconscious at the time. would be mid/late 60s i reckon n we been mates since.
The mind boggles Cashy!!!LOL!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 18:29   #8
Senior Member+

Remember it well in mid-70's.Docs,levis,feather cuts,star jumpers etc.Had a great time with the lasses & a good few songs from back then bring back happy memories (the hustle,k.c & the sunshine band,maxine nightingale to name a few).Hated the speed way though,just used to pose round the side or have my tongue down some willing lasses throat.In fact beside the couple of times i did the speedway can't recall going on any other ride (opposite sex excluded).I've always been the same at the pleasure beach....just leave me in a bar,i'll meet you later.Soft arse.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..