Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 10:24   #31
Resting In Peace

Re: Australian Inn

Should be a picture here

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Gallery
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2011, 11:26   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post

I wonder if he subsequently went into further property development and built Melbourne St, Sydney St and Adelaide St? There's definatly a surplus of Aussie linked names around central Accy.
I've always wondered why the Streets off Atlas Street in Church were named after Ozzy Towns and Cities - Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide there too....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:31   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Interesting link that one -have enjoyed looking at some old photos of Accrington!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2011, 11:52   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

brilliant link jeff, picture 197 on what comes up when yeh put Australian inn in search,is a cracker of me owd boozer.
Old 12-09-2011, 14:50   #35
Senior Member+

I am still struggling to place the Australian Inn on the map.

Even after the photo I can't seem to make it out.
I know it was some where near Bull Bridge, was it on the left of Castle Street going down?

I remember the Chapel at the top of Castle street and the Bull and the Drill Hall at the bottom.
What is there now the pub has gone?
Old 12-09-2011, 14:59   #36
Senior Member+

Before the town got messed up with demolitions and re-building, you would go the the bopttom of Castloe Street and turn left as if to go up Kenyon St to the Methodist Chapel at the corner wioth Whalley Rd. It wass more or less opposite the weir inh the river before it entered the tunnel under bridge. You could see the Bull pub from the front door of the Australian. Somewhere at the back of it, Woodward's kept their flitting van. Technically, the Australian was in Weir St.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:01   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
brilliant link jeff, picture 197 on what comes up when yeh put Australian inn in search,is a cracker of me owd boozer.
You missed the "s" off "boozers"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:48   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Before the town got messed up with demolitions and re-building, you would go the the bopttom of Castloe Street and turn left as if to go up Kenyon St to the Methodist Chapel at the corner wioth Whalley Rd. It wass more or less opposite the weir inh the river before it entered the tunnel under bridge. You could see the Bull pub from the front door of the Australian. Somewhere at the back of it, Woodward's kept their flitting van. Technically, the Australian was in Weir St.
Thanks Bob, I think it would have been behind what is now a vets practice, am I right. The vets address is Kenyon street.
Old 12-09-2011, 19:18   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

bit lower down than that gremlin, go down Eastgate about the bottom corner of the tax office n it was just across the road, gable was bottom of castle st(now eastgate) n pub front was on what they called the "Pleck" weir st i think that was, which went up to Whalley Rd by the Methodist Church.
Old 13-09-2011, 05:53   #40

Atlas street, is in Clayton, not Church, with all the Aussie streets leading off,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 11:49   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Atlas street, is in Clayton, not Church, with all the Aussie streets leading off,
Sorry, you're quite right it's just over the border, Atlas Street runs down
off Church Lane which is the continuation af Dill Hall Lane...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 21-11-2011, 12:47   #42
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Doe's anyone know how the Australian Inn got its name is there a relationship with Accrington somewhere.
Does anybody know the name of the last landlord of this pub.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:29   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Does anybody know the name of the last landlord of this pub.
Can't remember Mog, but his wife was called Helen, who i saw about 5 yrs ago,
Old 23-11-2011, 12:49   #44
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Can't remember Mog, but his wife was called Helen, who i saw about 5 yrs ago,
The reason why I asked is because in about 1964 my mates were Bob Burnside and Gerald Moores. At this time Geralds dad had the Australian. Now I dont know if he had it just before it closed, but when he had a good night he used to treat us to a Chinese ( I think) at a place on Blackburn road inbetween Morts and The Railway. ( I think again). Memory aints so good now. Must have a touch of oldtimers.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:27   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
The reason why I asked is because in about 1964 my mates were Bob Burnside and Gerald Moores. At this time Geralds dad had the Australian. Now I dont know if he had it just before it closed, but when he had a good night he used to treat us to a Chinese ( I think) at a place on Blackburn road inbetween Morts and The Railway. ( I think again). Memory aints so good now. Must have a touch of oldtimers.
Yeh Gerald was the son,used to play football wi him on Broadway Carpark after school, n his dad used to give us a gill in back of pub after, hes living down church way last i heard. that would be 61/62 i think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..