Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 10:51   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Beyond The Lamp

OK! All you Golden Oldies or Silver Surfers if you like – us kids of the day (‘45 – ‘54) all knew Ossy as Gobbinland or Beyond The Lamp. So just exactly where did Gobbinland start and which lamp was it? Cor! I can almost hear the old brain cells creaking into action.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:17   #2

We've had this thread on here before. OK; at Ossy Library and beyond, was glorious Gobbin land.

Kids of the day 45---etc. Come on mi old Jambutty you must have been born in 37 or before the war (WW2), I bet you ran round Ossy waving the Union Jack in 45

Last edited by Darby; 04-02-2004 at 11:21.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:31   #3
Senior Member+

Why do they call it Gobbinland?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:44   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

I was born in April ’37 Darby but as my dad was a textile fitter for Howard and Bulloughs I was born in Estonia where he was fitting the new textile machines in a local factory. Come the war I bravely fought off the Germans but there were just too many for me (I mean what can a two and a half year old do?) and we were all captured and sent to a Concentration Camp for my dad, a prison for my mum and a Kindergarten for my brother and me. My mum, brother and me were repatriated to England in ’40 and after being bombed out of London and Manchester we ended up in Blackpool for the duration and shortly after got to Accrington where my dad took up his old job at H & B.

I’ve often wondered that too janet. Why did/do they call it Gobbinland?
Old 04-02-2004, 13:29   #5
God Member

Gobbinland

A "Gobbin" is an old Lancashire Dialect term roughly translated as "Village Idiot"...I think in these days of political correctness it would be unwise to refer to our friends from the other side of Ozzy Libary as a collection of idiots.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 14:13   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Thanks for your explanation tealeaf. Now I know why on occasion someone would say to me, “Don’t be a gobbin.” I suspected that it meant something like fool or numbskull but couldn’t ask in case someone called me a right gobbin.

But if we called those who lived beyond the lamp Gobbins, I wonder what they called us?
Old 04-02-2004, 14:34   #7
God Member

Probably unrepeatable on a clean, family website such as this
Old 05-02-2004, 02:59   #8
I am Band

Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
A "Gobbin" is an old Lancashire Dialect term roughly translated as "Village Idiot"...I think in these days of political correctness it would be unwise to refer to our friends from the other side of Ozzy Libary as a collection of idiots.
Aww, you've sussed me. Village idiot is gratuitously offensive, in these days of political correctness, intellectual pygmy is far easier on the ego
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52   #9

Quote:
Oh I'm not so sure. Have you been t'other side of Library lately??
Old 05-02-2004, 13:07   #10
God Member

In my regular forays back to Church I habitually pop up to the Rose & Crown, Black Dog and other establishments on the Ozzy frontier....actually, you could be right...In fact, I think you are right
Old 05-02-2004, 13:43   #11

Quote:
In my regular forays back to Church I habitually pop up to the Rose & Crown, Black Dog and other establishments on the Ozzy frontier....actually, you could be right...In fact, I think you are right
Yeah, my regular when I'm over...Rose & Crown...great pub...well during the day, and the snug at night. Pity Angie and Bob moved on, but it still seems OK without them. It's the clientel...and a good pint too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..