Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44   #61
God Member

Re: cinemas

i want to go and see that 'run fatboy run' someone said the other day that its naff, has anyone else seen it?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21   #62
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: cinemas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
Prior to that even It was the coop which was was in it's heyday at that time and owned several properties in the area.the property across oxford st up to the doctors was all coop down to blake st.
happy times?
That is correct.

I used to live at 148 a house with a bay window between the Co-op plumbers and painters & decorators and the Co-op clothes store up to 1955 or so.
Old 13-09-2007, 18:29   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I have a question about The Saturday Morning Club at the Odeon.... did I dream this, or was there a serial shown about a Native American head that was kept in a bag and could work magic? I seem to remember it being called Chico Rainbow, or something like that. Does anyone remember that, or have a made it all up?
I remember it well, used to be on Saturday mornings in the late 70s.

Check this link to bring back memories!

PS I remember it being 10p entry. I lost mine one day & my mum wouldn't let me go! 10p for goodness sake. Probably why I'm careful with money now (tight as a gnats chuff).

ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 21:07   #64
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That is correct.

I used to live at 148 a house with a bay window between the Co-op plumbers and painters & decorators and the Co-op clothes store up to 1955 or so.

I thought the Co-op was on the right as you come up Oxford Street.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 21:13   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I thought the Co-op was on the right as you come up Oxford Street.
148 must have been between the coop (now bingo) and the docs Myrtle house.
There are a few obscure shops there now, always changing use- ballet/dance shop - once was a 2nd hand shop there

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 21:41   #66
Apprentice Geriatric

In the late forties and early fifties as you came up Oxford Street to join Blackburn Road, on the left corner was the Co-op furniture department and on the right corner the Co-op clothes department.

Myrtle house was Doctor Devlin’s surgery and next to that towards the town centre was the Co-op plumber and painters. Then came our house (148) rented from the Co-op and we shared the back yard with the plumbers and painters. Next to our house was the Co-op clothes department. Then came the top of Oxford Street.

Years later the plumbers and painters shops and our house became an amusement arcade.

The picture is of my brother (in shirt sleeves) with Jim Laycock sat on the wall in front of our house - 148.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0090.jpg (156.2 KB, 12 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..