Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2006, 15:24   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Communities

When I was a child in West End (admittedly a smaller place than it is now) I knew just about everyone who lived there. Some I didn't know as well as others but I could put a name to most faces. And almost everyone knew me and my family.

Within our community there were "sub groups". There were the "Wesleyans", who went to the Methodist chapel, and the C of Es from St Thomas'. I went under another, wider, sub group which took in most of Oswaldtwistle, I was "One of St Mary's". There was also the Spread Eagle Lot, who lived in and around Spread Eagle St., the Thwaites Rd. Lot and "Them from th'Hare" who patronised the local tavern.

To our (my mother's) family there was a group known as "The Co-oppers". They were neighbours who shopped at the local Co-op. In the late 1920s my maternal grandfather, who was a local councillor and owned my aunt's baker's shop in West End, had fought against the opening of the Co-op - purely on the grounds of his own self-interest as he didn't want his trade damaged - and he and my aunts looked on Co-op shoppers as traitors.

School catagorised you too. I was a Paddock Houser, from age 11, and then became one of a new sub group - a teenager - but I still was a West Ender.

The point was everyone knew each other, knew other families' histories, knew each other's business and would rally together in times of trouble or celebration. There was a real feeling of community and of belonging. I don't think you find it so much now and I think we're the poorer for that.
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2006, 17:28   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Communities

I've only just realised my Mum lived over the West End, on Thwaites Road, in the flats next to Dr. Stewart's(?)

She's a year younger than you, perhaps you knew her, although she was a Wesleyan.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 18:56   #3
God Member

My Mother was raised in/at West End , I seem to remember family talk that the wedding was at Immanuel/Emmanuel ? Where in Ossy is that ? and what type of Church ?
thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 19:59   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

If I remember correctly, Emmanuel church is/was on New Lane in Ossy. C of E as far as I know.

When did your mother live in West End, Steeljack?
Old 29-12-2006, 23:34   #5
Give, give, give member

Westender's right, Immanuel (strange but correct spelling) is C of E, and is on New Lane, and is the only church in Oswaldtwistle with a church yard where you can still purchase your burial plot.

Old 29-12-2006, 23:47   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Westender's right, Immanuel (strange but correct spelling) is C of E, and is on New Lane, and is the only church in Oswaldtwistle with a church yard where you can still purchase your burial plot.
bet theres not a big queue for that.
Old 29-12-2006, 23:55   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
bet theres not a big queue for that.
Lol, no, well not exactly.

There are only as very few places left.

Roll up, roll up...or rather roll in.

Old 30-12-2006, 00:36   #8
Senior Member+

How can you say there isn,t a big queue for graves at Immanuel, people are dying to get in there! That was where part of our wedding took place a long time ago.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 00:41   #9
God Member

The name seems odd somehow , I allways thought C of E and Catholic Churchs were allways named after/dedicated to a Saint
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 00:55   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
How can you say there isn,t a big queue for graves at Immanuel, people are dying to get in there! That was where part of our wedding took place a long time ago.
people who purchase burial plots aint usually dead,
Old 30-12-2006, 10:07   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
The name seems odd somehow , I allways thought C of E and Catholic Churchs were allways named after/dedicated to a Saint
Nearly all Catholic churches are named after Saints, the only C of E ones that are, seem to be pre Reformation, when all churches in the country were connected to Rome.

I found this out the other week when I went to a concert at this church.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...t=church+opera

Last edited by garinda; 30-12-2006 at 10:10.
Old 30-12-2006, 12:15   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

Isn't Emmanuel (Immanuel) another name for Jesus? Well, if he's not a saint..............
Old 30-12-2006, 13:50   #13
Give, give, give member

Instead of pm'ing again I'll post it here.

My grandfathers cousin Kathleen (married name Howarth, can't remember her maiden name,) had a bakers shop over in the West End. I think that would have been in the 50's though. Wonder if it was the same one, they're weren't many over there?

Old 30-12-2006, 15:27   #14
Passed away 25-11-09

Can't remember who bought my auntie Elsie's shop (429 Blackburn Rd), which she sold about 1951. She had been there since about 1928. There was only one other baker, Mrs Smithy, and she was still there until the 60s.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..