Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2003, 17:12   #1
God Member

Post Council Corporate Crimes

Just on about Accy baths earlier and it got me thinking about various acts of municiple vandalism committed by Hyndburn  Council and previously Accy Church,Ozzy etc.

I rate the demolition of the old Accy Baths as being the greatest of these, although the demolition of the old railway station comes close (strictly speaking, not the council)

They do things indirectly as well; Why is'nt something being done about the Commercial pub at Church and the old warehouse next door, both buildings of immense industrial archaeological significance. How long before they're deemed an unsuitable eyesore and safety risk and pulled down. Not long, I think.

Anybody got other favouites of the councils "faux pas" (Sorry Roy, thats French for cock-up)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2003, 17:28   #2

Post Re: Council Corporate Crimes

Yes, Tealeaf I agree, I'm glad I reminded you of Accy baths. I came to Accrington this summer for the first time in ten years. Boy what a shock I had. Sorry to see some of the things that have happened to my home town. I wish I was there to march on the town hall with you don't ever let them touch that. What happen to that grand hall in Oak Hill Park did they ever restore it or is it still in ruins. I remember many a good cuppa there.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 18:08   #3
Senior Member+

The house in oak hill park was sold for £1 so i believe and was fully refurbished it was developed into flats for the elderly
Old 03-10-2003, 18:27   #4

Great news. Wonderful place to spend your retirement.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 17:09   #5
God Member

And then there was the old 'Odeon'.....classic 1930's s art deco......whats on the site now? A souped up portakabin containing yet another "everything for a quid" store
Old 06-10-2003, 17:11   #6
God Member

And not to forget the "Black Bull"......the oldest pub in Accy....pulled it down for a second rate shopping centre with a third rate tacky clock that ain't worked in years. Outrageous.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:28   #7
God Member

Re: Council Corporate Crimes

Accrington doesn't seem to have much luck with public clocks. The one on the tower of St. James's church has shown three different times for as long as I have known it and the one on the bus station, the clock on stilts, never showed the right time. now the arndale clock has gone too. Is there something mysterious in this?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:01   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just on about Accy baths earlier and it got me thinking about various acts of municiple vandalism committed by Hyndburn  Council and previously Accy Church,Ozzy etc.

I rate the demolition of the old Accy Baths as being the greatest of these, although the demolition of the old railway station comes close (strictly speaking, not the council)

They do things indirectly as well; Why is'nt something being done about the Commercial pub at Church and the old warehouse next door, both buildings of immense industrial archaeological significance. How long before they're deemed an unsuitable eyesore and safety risk and pulled down. Not long, I think.

Anybody got other favouites of the councils "faux pas" (Sorry Roy, thats French for cock-up)
Yep, totally agree with you about councils. (Love your flag by the way) Sadly while most good folk are too busy keeping body and soul together, a certain type of thrusting, over-confident person is active seeking power. These people who are completely mediocre in thought and imagination every where fill positions in management and public office. This is one reason why minorities and supporters of unpopular policies can get them made law. Sadly we who do nothing allow these things to happen.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:05   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
Yep, totally agree with you about councils. (Love your flag by the way) Sadly while most good folk are too busy keeping body and soul together, a certain type of thrusting, over-confident person is active seeking power. These people who are completely mediocre in thought and imagination every where fill positions in management and public office. This is one reason why minorities and supporters of unpopular policies can get them made law. Sadly we who do nothing allow these things to happen.
This thread is 9 years old
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:09   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
This thread is 9 years old
Nine years on and councils the length and breadth of the land are still at it. If you have a few idle hours to spare take a look at council advertised jobs and try and work out just what the 'job' is.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:31   #11
I am Banned

I'm not saying these will give a great belly laugh but I found them in only a couple of minutes:
bip-family-support-worker
assistant-team-manager-cmht
community-safety-troubled-families-support-officer
street-environment-officer-night-shift
principal-lead-officer-private-sector-safety-team
movers-shakers-co-ordinator-part-time-temporary-contract
risk-and-resilience-officer

There are loads more out there. Now its our Council Tax that funds these salaries, but what the hell do they do. I wonder, if we actually knew what they do, would we think we were getting value for money? Should the council, anybody in fact be doing the things that these jobs imply? Should we the public be paying for it? Surely nobody can disagree (I'm sure they can) that government, local and national is too intrusive and as such is actively chipping away at individual freedom.
Old 27-02-2013, 09:05   #12
I am Banned

Angry Re: Council Corporate Crimes

Here are some more I found:

service-manager-permanence-and-reunification
head-of-poverty-and-prevention (55 - 70 grand p.a.)
community-physical-activity-development-officer
service-manager-strengthening-and-supporting-families (50 grand p.a.)
service-manager-early-response-and-contact
director-of-place: 'We need someone who can knit together the different strands of what makes --------- a great place' (65 - 76 grand p.a.)
head-of-safeguarding
financial-inclusion-officer-employability-worklessness-housing
audience-inclusion-officer-part-time
programme-and-development-adviser-diversity-and-inclusion

Its no longer the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker but: 'Please mammy can I be a diversity and inclusion officer when I grow up?' If only we knew what they do. I for one resent the year on year increas in local taxes for all this kind of thing.

Last edited by Neil; 27-02-2013 at 15:13. Reason: *'s
Old 27-02-2013, 10:52   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Surely nobody can disagree (I'm sure they can) that government, local and national is too intrusive and as such is actively chipping away at individual freedom.
Speak for yourself.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:20   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Here are some more I found:

service-manager-permanence-and-reunification
head-of-poverty-and-prevention (55 - 70 grand p.a.)
community-physical-activity-development-officer
service-manager-strengthening-and-supporting-families (50 grand p.a.)
service-manager-early-response-and-contact
director-of-place: 'We need someone who can knit together the different strands of what makes --------- a great place' (65 - 76 grand p.a.)
head-of-safeguarding
financial-inclusion-officer-employability-worklessness-housing
audience-inclusion-officer-part-time
programme-and-development-adviser-diversity-and-inclusion
The Court of King Caractacus as Mrs Harris's son sings.

Last edited by Neil; 28-02-2013 at 14:23. Reason: fix quote
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 18:06   #15
I am Banned

Where were we? Oh yes job adverts I'll have to wander off thread
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..