Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2007, 06:01   #1
God Member

cream on top of the milk

guess most of the users of Accyweb now buy their milk at supermarkets and other outlets , I buy mine by the gallon (1 us gallon = 6.66 British pints) sorry but i think its easier for most Accy web users to visulize what an imperial pint looks like than a liter , anyway ......I got to thinking how many of you miss the pint bottles with the cream at the top ..........I'm at the age now where I am supposed to drink/use "low fat' products so I buy the 2% fat milk and it's crap.....but looking at the stuff on display in the dairy case I wonder how many kids today have never enjoyed the joy of pressing down the tin foil cap on the milk bottle and slurping up the cream on the top of the milk and then getting into bother by your Mum because the milk is 'wazzy" because you had supped the top of the milk .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2007, 06:30   #2
God Member

Re: cream on top of the milk

I have just worked out that I use that much per week for just me -seems like a lot but I love the stuff. I buy all my food in bulk once a fortnight in order to get free delivery, so my milk has to be UHT. I dont scrimp on the flavour - has to be 'full fat' - I just cut back on other fats in my diet to compensate.

There is nothing to compare with 'gold top jersey' we had as a 'little treat for the weekend' -yummy

I make my own probiotic (yogurt type) drink with milk. Just at the moment I am trying it with UHT goats milk.
The main drawback with the old bottle/doorstep deliveries was keeping the birds from pecking the tinfoil tops to get at the cream.
Before that (1940s) I remember deliveries by horse and cart and the milk being ladeled from a churn into the jugs on doorsteps and having little squares of cloth weighted with beads sewn on the corners to keep the dust and birds off.
Milk is more hygenically sold nowadays and that is a good thing about modern food processing. My brother suffered from a TB infection of the gland in his neck for a long spell of his childhood, which was due to consuming 'raw' milk -ie. in the days before herds were inoculated.
We have at least one ex dairy farmer who posts here - we may get some more interesting old info from him

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 06:53   #3
God Member

thanks for the post Margaret , now I'm a bit confused , I allways thought pasturization involved boiling the milk to kill any 'bugs' and therefore mixing/combining the cream with the milk (no cream on top) hopefully the farmer/milkman can tell us if its possible to get pasturized milk with the cream on top.
Old 23-08-2007, 07:28   #4
Give, give, give member

Poor little Tits.

I used to enjoy watching them pecking through the foil lids, and stealing the cream of mext door's milk bottles, once I'd brought our's safely in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 07:30   #5
God Member

The milk that caused my brother's illness was unpasteurised 'raw' milk
Defra, UK - Animal health & welfare - TB in cattle
fact file bovine TB
I recall that in the early 50s herds began to be vaccinated and farmers declared their herds to be TT (tuberculine tested)
I haven't tried to buy raw milk for 'donkeys years' -dont know whether you can still buy it. Like you I miss the cream top - but perhaps its safer that way.

Old 23-08-2007, 07:36   #6
Resting in Peace

The wife insists we have skimmed milk its like coloured water
do you remember the little bottles of milk we used to get at school (showing age now) silver top
also before we where married me and 3 friends used to go camping a lot and we allways went to the same farmer as in exchange for helping out a bit he would give us free eggs and milk the milk was that fresh it was still warm from the cow great.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 07:43   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
The wife insists we have skimmed milk its like coloured water
exactly, its wazzy , is this a lancashire term ?
Old 23-08-2007, 08:44   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i use skimmed milk!, whats wrong with it?....LoL...
i hate full fat milk its too creamy for me, eee i remember when you could get gold top, i dont see it now! is it still available?
Old 23-08-2007, 08:48   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
i use skimmed milk!, whats wrong with it?
ER no taste
but after drinking it for years i have got used to it
but miss the cream off the top of the milk
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 09:01   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
ER no taste
but after drinking it for years i have got used to it
same ere, thats probably why..lol but had a little sip of proper milk as some people say, and i didnt like it, hey well, at least im getting my calcium, more in skimmed than normal yer know
Old 23-08-2007, 09:08   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Poor little Tits.
You just can't stop talking about Tinks can you.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 09:20   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

in the same boat as mick here paris gets semi-skimmed n i have got used to it,lol its minging.
Old 23-08-2007, 11:24   #13
Senior Member+

we used to get bottles of steralised milk
with the metal caps
if you added water to it you got more for your money
so me mam said

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 11:28   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
we used to get bottles of steralised milk
with the metal caps
if you added water to it you got more for your money
so me mam said
My mum used to say that floating tea leaves were vitamins
It aint neccessarily so (Gershwin)

Old 23-08-2007, 11:40   #15
Senior Member+

it was at a time when we had to believe
what our parents told us

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..