Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2006, 15:47   #1
Resting in Peace

Dangerous Toys !!

When you think about some of the children's toys that were readily available, makes we wonder how we survived ... sure was one or two accidents here and there.
For instance, catapults, bow and arrows you whittled away to a sharp point. Pea-shooters if you didn't swalllow the pea before you shot it down the tube. Anymore ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2006, 17:02   #2
Member.

Re: Dangerous Toys !!

Oh I can think of a few accidents we had as kids. Back then we had less to do indoors so the great outdoors was our playground. Toys we didn’t have a lot of, but we did make many of our own Bow’s, arrows, catapults etc and often used them to effect.

I seem to remember that most of our accidents didn’t result from toys; we had the odd drowning from swimming in the lodges or worse “clay pits”.

Falling through holes in floors or trap door in old disused railway buildings, warehouses and mills cost the odd limb as did falling from bridges, trees, walls and barns and the like. Barbed wire was rare but I managed to get myself a three inch scar on the back of my right leg after running into it whilst evading an enraged farmer in my youth.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 18:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Barbed wire was rare but I managed to get myself a three inch scar on the back of my right leg after running into it whilst evading an enraged farmer in my youth.
And they say the kids of today are wild.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 18:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Sorry should have added lol.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 19:06   #5
Len
God Member

I don’t think you can buy chemistry sets these days.
As a young lad I had about three chemistry sets bought for me back in the early 70’s.
They contained things like glass test tubes, beakers, mentholated spirit burners and acid’s and alkalises.
I spent many enjoyable hours experimenting with all my chemicals etc. Good fun.
I think these days they would be classed as to dangerous for young kids.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 20:10   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Wild we may have been, but we knew where the line was........

Just you wait till play time Sara.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-01-2006, 20:15   #7
Member.

Cheers Len, I love it when someone post something that awakens memories.

I never got a Chemistry Set, it probably had something to do with the fact that I was given a Tools Set when I was Five or Six. Must have been then because we where still at Church.

Anyway the Tools Set had miniature, but real Tools including a little saw, the rest they say is History…

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-01-2006, 20:28   #8
Accy Goddess

Klackers.
Wooden balls on string. Loads of fun,but oh,the pain.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 20:35   #9
Member.

There was a pair wrapped around the Telephone Lines across Miller Fold for years. I think they where Linda Balls.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-01-2006, 21:36   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
I .
They contained things like glass test tubes, beakers, mentholated spirit burners and acid’s and alkalises.
I spent many enjoyable hours experimenting with all my chemicals etc. Good fun.kids.
Oh yeh Len, remember my bros. getting one, he played with the above, I just loved to make the crystallized garden in a fish bowl. Used to get a little too excited though and ruined it by putting too much in there. Probably a little like Mez's fishtank
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:15   #11
Len
God Member

I too once had a chemical garden.
Was interesting seeing how those crystals grew in glycerine.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 22:34   #12
Accy Goddess

I had a plastic sewing machine. The first time I used it I put the needle through my finger and hurled it at a wall.
Put me off sewing for life.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 09:27   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ooooh, Clackers..... I always wanted some but never got any. A girl at my junior school broke two fingers using them so I wasn't allowed any. I also wanted a chemistry set but never got one of those either. I was good at chemistry at school and I think my dad was afraid that I would blow up the house. My neighbour had a cap gun when he was a kid and we had hours of fun with that. I used to love the smell of the caps after they'd been fired and used to sniff them. I once burnt the end of my nose sniffing caps

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:22   #14
Resting in Peace

I started off with a small chemistry set and ended up taking over the shed white coat and all hehe .
but the explosives you could make were great we used to make rockets and shoot them over the river i was good friends with a local chemist and he would let me by most chemicals from him includind potassium feracyanide.!!used in bleaching pics
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 10:27   #15
Senior Member+

I would say any toy is dangerous if thrown hard enough!!!!lol
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..