Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2007, 00:50   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Death of tradition.

just got to thinking the Vault in pubs used to be the working mans escape,they seemed to be on the slide early 70s,when some pubs allowed women in the sanctuary, then seemed to die altogether later. can anyone be more specific? when was the last male only vault in accy? and where? do you think it was a good thing they died? personally i dont.
Old 28-02-2007, 01:01   #2
God Member

Re: Death of tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just got to thinking the Vault in pubs used to be the working mans escape,they seemed to be on the slide early 70s,when some pubs allowed women in the sanctuary, then seemed to die altogether later. can anyone be more specific? when was the last male only vault in accy? and where? do you think it was a good thing they died? personally i dont.
I remember folks talking about the Vault , but to my mind and them I grew up with it was allways called the Taproom , same place just a different name, wonder why ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 01:20   #3
God Member

my ex used to go out some 24 yrs ago every sat afternoon but wasnt accy , was blackburn in the kings arms me thinks and the vault was a men only room where they played cards/gambled etc and it was no good ringing up for them cus they were never in (if you get my drift) but yeah it was a good way for a bloke to get some space so long as they took their other half out on a sat night ... everyone was happy..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:46   #4
Resident Waffler

I think it was something to do with women's lib and equality and all that stuff.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:57   #5
God Member

and they called it progress...........

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 09:03   #6
God Member

Went upto Oban in Scotland about 10 years ago and my other half who is Scottish said that women weren't allowed in the pubs during the day. Anyway I thought he was joking until I walked into one before him and it was like the music stopped and everyone turned round to look at me, I couldn't believe it, he thought it was hilarious, I didn't and refused to go back in the evening too!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 10:48   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
my ex used to go out some 24 yrs ago every sat afternoon but wasnt accy , was blackburn in the kings arms me thinks and the vault was a men only room where they played cards/gambled etc and it was no good ringing up for them cus they were never in (if you get my drift) but yeah it was a good way for a bloke to get some space so long as they took their other half out on a sat night ... everyone was happy..
that just about sums it up cherokee, think it followed on as willow said from the womens lib thing, which i agreed with, but its were you draw the line where it went wrong.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:05   #8
Give, give, give member

I think places like this still exist...they are called gay bars!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 13:24   #9
Senior Member+

don't quote me but i believe in the burnley miners ther is still the men only room
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 15:43   #10
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Once went to a bar in some remote part of France, women only allowed in to buy lottery for their husbands and a jug of ale to take home, they made an exception for me and boy what a night we had (me and Hubby) but cause it was a man's only pub they had no loos as such, across the main square was a urinal stone in open view of all. I was priveledged and got to use the family's loo.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 16:53   #11
God Member

i used to work behind the bar at our local golf club and it had a mens room and a ladies lounge and i think the women were the ones that kicked up a fuss if the rules ever got broken ....used to make me laugh did that.... talk about moody birds lmao!!!!!
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34   #12

Cant remember if the snug was for women only , anybody know.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Cant remember if the snug was for women only , anybody know.

I'm too young to remember, but I do know in Coronation Street, Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell, and Martha Longhurst used to sit in the Snug to sup their Milk Stouts, so I think you're right.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:46   #14
Resting in peace

The Globe Inn had a snug when my grandmother had it 1927/1960 aprox, in the late 40s/50s it also served as grandma's downstairs lounge and was only open on certain evenings, as women would not dream of entering a public house unacompanied by a man in those days. No decent woman would even go in a tap room as this was also called the smoke room and women did not smoke in public either, the language and fights that developed would also put them off, this did not happen much in the Globe as grandma ran the pub as a widow and was respected for it. Drifting off thead a little women who did their washing on any other day except Monday was considered as 'common'.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 06-03-2007 at 11:49.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 14:16   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
No decent woman would even go in a tap room as this was also called the smoke room and women did not smoke in public either
I wonder what changed, and made it acceptable for women to smoke in public, World War II?

I watched Brief Encounter again the other day, and there was the lovely Celia Johnson puffing away like a good un, whilst sat in the buffet on Carnforth station, and that was filmed at the end of 1945.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..