Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2003, 22:55   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Events

What events stick in your mind from your younger days? Either for good reasons or bad?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2003, 11:18   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Events

Remember the major fire at Howard & Bulloughs. when was that, about 1965 ???

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-08-2003, 12:33   #3

'66. Remember walking along Brown Street with my mum and dad to watch it.

A memory of mine is my first ever "live gig" - Sooty & Sweep at the town hall in 1956! Afterwards they were selling photographs signed by Harry Corbett at 2/6 a go. My gran thought that was too much, and I have a clear recollection of standing at the Moscow Mill bus stop, feeling somewhat disappointed that I hadn't got one!
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 13:04   #4
Resting in Peace

could be worth a bit now if you did get one
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 13:10   #5

Yeah, I'd have it up on e-bay by now!
Old 06-08-2003, 18:00   #6
Caz
God Member

I remember the hysteria when Davy Jones of the Monkees came to see his sister in Church, just after they became famous. My friend told me he was there, but my mum wouldn't let me go! cried all night!

Believe he goes in the Greyhound pub when he's over here. Wonder how many customers realise who he is!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 07-08-2003, 12:07   #7

I remember going to the circus on the Rec. the spare ground adjacent to Hynburn Park school.
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 16:03   #8
Caz
God Member

I used to play on the rec a lot Droo! Never got to go to the circus though.  

- Oscar Wilde
Old 07-08-2003, 16:12   #9
Caz
God Member

Anyone remember the big polio scare? Must have been about 1960. Can rember people queuing at Ossie clinic for injections. They were lined up for hours in the street waiting their turn, right round the block.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2003, 01:28   #10
Caz
God Member

Anyone got any memories of when the bomb dropped in Clayton?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2003, 07:06   #11

I remember the Queen visiting Accy, circa 1956. We stood for what seemed like hours outside the old Grammar School waiting for her. When the royal entourage swept by all I saw was a hand waving from the back of a car. Bit of an anti-climax!
Old 08-08-2003, 19:14   #12

I remember Paul Simon playing at the Stanley Jazz Club during the folk era when Wednesdays were "Folk Nights".

I was in the supporting folk group called the "Dalesiders"
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 13:46   #13
Senior Member+

cazzer i remember the polio scare i caught it in 1954 when i was a baby i lived in huncoat at the time my brother also got it
Old 08-09-2003, 07:51   #14
Senior Member+

Worst event for me was when a good mate of mine was run over up near the Martholme Grange.I believe they are still looking for the guy who did it.Mate was called Stuart Wilde.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:15   #15

I remember when Gary Robinson was killed by lightning on Moorhead, he was a friend of mine at the time, would have been 1980 if memory serves me right.
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..