Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2006, 00:42   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Front Parlour

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
oh i am glad that we were not the only ones....
did anyone else have an army coat on the bed because it was so,oo cold....
What !! Gawd G-C, that's extreme, but had wool blankets with the utility logo ...
summat like two pacman smilies, which doesn't translate on here for some reason, (turns into a sticking out tongue smiley.) Think my brother still got them somewhere.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2006, 00:52   #32
Accy Goddess

I had mi Dad's great coat on mi bed. Your right Mez it was nice n warm.
My nana had a big polished table it had a peace of felt underneath and newspaper on top unless it was a special occasion then she would put a white table cloth on it.
On special occasions out would come the china tea service, silver taypot n glass fruit bowls.
dose any body remember getting those plastic dishes free from daz soap powder that used to get full of water inside when they were washed.
They gave away plastic flowers has well.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 11:07   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
I Thought It Was Only Used For Laying Out Dead Boddies.
boddies? the cream of manchester.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 11:36   #34
white rabbits

oh yes thats the best sort of boddies ,with a touch of lime..lol
Old 30-04-2006, 11:38   #35
white rabbits

I remember those blankets Katex...they were grey and very rough...but warm..
Old 30-04-2006, 11:50   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I remember those blankets Katex...they were grey and very rough...but warm..
Ours were just the creamy ones. Think the label was summat to do with rationing, or the Co-op maybe ?
Old 30-04-2006, 14:08   #37
Junior Member+

oh my goodness, though it was only us used Dad's army great coat on the bed - so very heavy and of course very warm, espec when we had ice INSIDE the window pane.
KAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 19:27   #38
Beacon of light

Tha label on the blankets was a utility mark...lots of things had them...wardrobes chests of drawers and it was to show that it was of reasonable quality, but not luxury standards...these items were prevalent after the war when resources were scarce.

I remember having Dad's army coat on the bed......four of us slept in a double bed in the back bedroom...two at the top and two at the bottom.
There were always squabbles about who had the most of the blankets and one harsh winter Ma put the greatcoat on the bed. She had a very snooty friend in our kitchen and was giving her a cup of tea when my brother shouted downstairs 'Mum, Peter has got all the overcoat and I'm cold'
Mum shouted back upstairs 'It isn't an overcoat, it is an eiderdown' - this was for the benefit of the snooty friend......further struggles ensued by my two brothers and eventually a sleeve was torn fron the overcoat......my brother got out of bed and stood on the landing and shouted downstairs 'Mum,Peter has pulled the sleeve off the eiderdown'

Yes, those were the days! We all got a clip round the ear for embarassing mum......she said we were all getting a slap so that she had 'copped the right one'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 19:29   #39
Beacon of light

I remember the plastic roses with Daz......the cups and saucers with the labels from Black and green's tea.......fake pearls from Acdo soap powder.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 20:50   #40
white rabbits

eh that Acdo soap powder was great... did any of you collect green shield stamps
Old 02-05-2006, 19:41   #41

We had our front room a taboo area for 8 months of the year....then dad filled it with his chrysanthemums and tomatotes he grew on the allotment...was a fireplace in there...but never saw the fire lit.... . and a wind up gramophone....HMV...with long needles you had to shove in and tighten up....dad used to play his joes loss 78,s......and us kids were playing......lipstick on yer collar......lol

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 16:49   #42
Resting in peace

We had utility blankets, but I was very lucky, I had a room to myself from the age of 8. Isn't it funny, though, those utility items have lasted longer than a lot of so-called "better quality" blankets and sheets!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:10   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
We had utility blankets, but I was very lucky, I had a room to myself from the age of 8. Isn't it funny, though, those utility items have lasted longer than a lot of so-called "better quality" blankets and sheets!
They did, but remember my Mum had 'darned' them in a few places. People don't do this any more do they? Bet they don't even own a mushroom .. tee hee.

My mum cut down some of the flannelette sheets down to cot sheets for my daughter >>>> who would do that now ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..