Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2006, 13:18   #1
Resting in peace

Henry Street

Anyone remember the shops in Henry Street, Church? Thinking about May Jolly's (now June's greengrocers) reminded me. There were lots of shops - looking at Henry Street now, I don't know where they put them all! There was Emily's on the corner, a sort of general store, further down towards Dill Hall there was Hope's sweet shop, and on the other side, a huge (well, it seemed like it) pet shop, with the cobblers on the corner. He not only repaired shoes, he could make clogs - now worn by earnest looking people in Islington, but then the working man's standard footwear. What a shame they all went - but Yates's is still there, still making lovely muffins and meat pies.

I know Mez will remember ....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2006, 13:20   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Henry Street

Oh, and there was a wool/clothes shop on the corner of Church Lane, Mrs Ridehalgh had that for a long time, and there was a butcher further towards Blackburn Road, that always had lights hanging in the window - urgh! There was also on the corner of, I think, Ernest Street, a shop that sold ladies' necessaries, stockings, undies, and a dress or two.
Old 25-04-2006, 13:34   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Anyone remember the shops in Henry Street, Church? Thinking about May Jolly's (now June's greengrocers) reminded me.
I know Mez will remember ....
Errr....June's closed before Christmas, after one burglary too many. The shop is now vacant.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 18:00   #4
mez
God Member

What About Emily Price's & Sadie Salt's Then There Was Towlers Was That The Dress Shop Nr Kirkhams Coal Yard .....georges Paper Shop, ....can't Remember Anymore ......its The Little Grey Cells You Know. He He .
Old 25-04-2006, 22:04   #5
Resting in Peace

Not sure if this was actually on the corner of Henry Street, but there was a bank there, and used to walk down many times on a Friday to collect the wages on behalf of Nayler the Printer. Can you imagine an 18 year old having to do that now with a bag bulging with the cash, wages for over 100 employees (or thereabouts) all 'on yer tod'. Don't think I would have made it to the library these days.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 00:01   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

me late mum in law had the little grocers just across(an a bit higher) than the stag,
Old 26-04-2006, 19:38   #7

There was also two butchers kings on Maden Street and Whittakers on Henry St, also two pie shops Yates and the other one on the next block. Imagine them trying to make a living now, i bet it would be impossible. Years ago they were always busy.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 20:29   #8

Quote:
Oh, and there was a wool/clothes shop on the corner of Church Lane, Mrs Ridehalgh had that for a long time, and there was a butcher further towards Blackburn Road, that always had lights hanging in the window - urgh! There was also on the corner of, I think, Ernest Street, a shop that sold ladies' necessaries, stockings, undies, and a dress or two.

Don't forget Mrs Coffee's shop on Blackburn Rd, the banks and the greengrocers etc etc. and right opposite,Dr Tuxford's surgery. the chippy and the hat shop,, Oh yeh! the furniture shop.( I still have a reciept for a bedroom suite, Bed, Continental headboard, ( head board with a cabinet stuck on either end ) a tall boy, ( tall chest of drawers for those who don't know ) a dressing table and a wardrobe Total cost £120. 00. Solid wood too! Whew! not plywood or veneer on chipboard. Solid wood!!
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 21:48   #9
Member.

Good Lord, I remember Dr Tuxford very well.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 22:42   #10
Resident Waffler

I remember Dr. Tuxford too. What was Mrs. Coffees?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 00:55   #11
Senior Member+

My Nan's sister lived down Henry Street and I remember going to see her back in the sixties. We called her Auntie Nellie and I remember that she took snuff. Horrid habit I thought.
There was a really neat back alley behind her house where my brother and I used to play on visiting days. All gone now, of course, along with Auntie Nellie!
She had another sister, Auntie Lizzie, who lived in Rochdale. We had to go on three buses to get there. Thankfully, she was snuff free!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 20:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Good Lord, I remember Dr Tuxford very well.
Dr Tuxford was still practicing up until a few years back, he did locum at Drs Dixon and Manuels.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 20:44   #13

Thumbs down Re: Henry Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I remember Dr. Tuxford too. What was Mrs. Coffees?
Mrs Coffee's shop was a small grocers cum sweet shop. At one time people got stuff on the slate ( get now pay later) and poor Mrs Coffee helped people for a long time and didn't get paid. So, in desparation she put a notice in her window naming all those people who had bought stuff for a few weeks, or months and not paid her. She almost went bankrupt though people doing that.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 13:13   #14
Resting in peace

I remember Mrs Coffee, her husband was friendly with Jack Bunn who lived on Lion Street - you could see them together, Coffee & Bunn! (anyone remember coffee & bun mornings?).
Old 08-05-2006, 23:07   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I remember Mrs Coffee, her husband was friendly with Jack Bunn who lived on Lion Street - you could see them together, Coffee & Bunn! (anyone remember coffee & bun mornings?).
CRUMBS jack bunn! name rings a bell but can,t put a clock to it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..