Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Holidays with Mum and Dad, way back then!

[quote=Taggy;786120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thanks Taggy, for reminding those of us who remember the above artistes how old we have become

No Probs Steeljack......a look in the mirror first thing every morning does it for me!!
I do that Taggy, but it frightens the hell out of me
Old 12-02-2010, 21:30   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Rhyl in a damp Caravan, New Brighton in the wet, classic British Summer hols, then we started getting exotic & headed South-South West-South East, such Jewels of Brit Hols as Margate Kent, East Anglia & the Broads, Dorset & Devon, even ventured North into the land of Thistle crunchers once such formative years for a young mind
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 22:23   #18

I don't think you can beat a wet week in North Wales
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 14:12   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I don't think you can beat a wet week in North Wales
Two wet weeks in North Wales
Old 14-02-2010, 02:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Middleton Towers holiday camp, seems like a lifetime ago.
I agree, we used to go the Middleton Towers nearly every year, we had so much fun. I used to love the Ping Pong tables and the bicycles.

I also remember the waitress who used to serve us dinner for the week we were there. Actually I have an old photo somewhere of her.

Fond memories.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 10:15   #21

we always went to Lydstep Haven in Tenby year after year now we go and take our kids we had the best times ever met same people week in year out in fact we went there and Vickt Entwistle (janice Battersby) went to the same place year after year she was always on stage and has done well for herself now
Tickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 23:15   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as mam was a paddy,we always went to Lucan County Dublin, fer a fortnight wi relatives, used to go to Croke Park in dublin to watch the hurling final, also Portmarnock to watch Christy O Conner golfing, wi me mates oer yon, great days, still pop oer every few years to see em. went middleton towers think 63, n remember watching news yon, saying Drew had been stabbed to death on Blackburn Rd, under railway arch, put a big damper on that holiday.
Old 20-02-2010, 12:47   #23

Smile Re: Holidays with Mum and Dad, way back then!

In line with the Pie shop thread, when Mum and Dad took us to Morecambe this particular year we had even less money than normal but they found a pie shop that did plate potato pie for just a tanner??? The only thing was it was next to the bowling alley all the way down the other end of town. Needs must when your broke, still loved it mind!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 19:31   #24

Was talking to my misses today about holidays when we were younger and going abroud came up. I told her that when our family could just afford to go to Morecambe or Blackpool back in the early 60's, the Such's that had the chippy on the corner of our street (Pendle St.) used to drive all the way to Bournmouth each year, took them about 8 hours or so. I thought that was abroad????

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Was talking to my misses today about holidays when we were younger and going abroud came up. I told her that when our family could just afford to go to Morecambe or Blackpool back in the early 60's, the Such's that had the chippy on the corner of our street (Pendle St.) used to drive all the way to Bournmouth each year, took them about 8 hours or so. I thought that was abroad????

I once had a car like too G
Old 08-09-2010, 14:40   #26
white rabbits

When i was a kid we only went for a day to blackpool,
when my kids were kids it was good old butlins every year,,,,went first in may for a week ,then while we were there we booked another week for september,,,and got a good discount,,,,much cheeper than going for 2 weeks in july
Old 08-06-2012, 21:39   #27

Do you remember when suitcases didn't have wheels and when you got to Blackpool or Morecambe coach or rail station there was a mob of kids with trollies that would cart your cases to where ever you were staying. A tanner or a shilling depending how far they had to go???
Old 09-06-2012, 12:37   #28
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as mam was a paddy,we always went to Lucan County Dublin, fer a fortnight wi relatives, used to go to Croke Park in dublin to watch the hurling final, also Portmarnock to watch Christy O Conner golfing, wi me mates oer yon, great days, still pop oer every few years to see em. went middleton towers think 63, n remember watching news yon, saying Drew had been stabbed to death on Blackburn Rd, under railway arch, put a big damper on that holiday.
Remember the time well Cashy, me and our Brian were at Blackpool when we found out about Drew. Was it by the old toilets or near them. Went to Blackpool early this year with my daughter. All I could afford there now was the tramfare and thats because I have a bus pass. I think Les Batersby was at the north pier telling jokes for a couple of beers or something.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 13:02   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Remember the time well Cashy, me and our Brian were at Blackpool when we found out about Drew. Was it by the old toilets or near them. Went to Blackpool early this year with my daughter. All I could afford there now was the tramfare and thats because I have a bus pass. I think Les Batersby was at the north pier telling jokes for a couple of beers or something.
Near by twas under the Railway Bridge.
Old 09-06-2012, 13:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Middleton Towers holiday camp, seems like a lifetime ago.
Did you have a photo taken at the table with your family (and the one you were placed with for the duration of the stay)? Got ours in a little red spy hole canister thing that you could hold up to the light and enjoy forever.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..