Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2008, 19:16   #1

Huncoat Cable Cars !

I drive sections of Burnley Road fairly regularly and today I got a flashback... I think.
I remember seeing a cable "car" system - hoppers taking materials from quarries in the Coppice area down to the brickworks. Somewhere near Bolton Ave I think.
Did I really see them or have I dreamt it? I say this because the more I think about it the more I can't recall when this was!

Ian
Brimace likes this.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2008, 19:45   #2
God Member

Re: Huncoat Cable Cars !

It seems to ring bells with me to.

There is one on teh way into Kirby Lonsdale that is still working.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:11   #3
God Member

You must have been dreaming MovedtoBolton, cable cars going over Burnley Rd, never heard owt as daft

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
I drive sections of Burnley Road fairly regularly and today I got a flashback... I think.
I remember seeing a cable "car" system - hoppers taking materials from quarries in the Coppice area down to the brickworks. Somewhere near Bolton Ave I think.
Did I really see them or have I dreamt it? I say this because the more I think about it the more I can't recall when this was!

Ian
It was there all right -I remember em well as a small lad in the 60's - used to take stone etc from the quarry at the side of the coppice to the Nori brick works

Cant remember when it stopped and was dismantled, must have been mid to late 60's
Old 18-01-2008, 20:38   #5

Thanks Guys - It's reassuring to know the old grey matter still works, even if it is only in flashback mode
I spent a lot of time around Carlisle Rd and Heaning Ave in 70 and71 and I'm sure the cables had gone by then. Ironically I lived near the cemetery for several years in the 90's and had no recollections of this bit of Accy history at all!!!
Old 18-01-2008, 20:47   #6
God Member

Atarah post this pic in 2004 in a thread titled
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rick-4064.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc%20-%20redac%20bricks%20across%20Burnley%20road.JPG (13.1 KB, 123 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:48   #7
God Member

Err isn't that the same Pic and thread I linked too

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Err isn't that the same Pic and thread I linked too
So it is sorry about that

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:50   #9

Think you were just to subtle KSH
Old 18-01-2008, 20:53   #10
Junior Member+

i remember cable cars from quarry to redack brick works in huncoat and there is a tunnell under burnley rd roughly accrington side of hillock vale and i have been through it wen i was a lad. in 1957.
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:42   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it crossed Burnley Rd, where that housing estate was built just up from the Whittakers, or the Cemetry pub in days gone by.
Old 18-01-2008, 22:18   #12
Super Moderator

The cable car didn't come all the way from the quarry, though. At the quarry site itself, there was a little railway which went across a small bridge over the path that led down to Kingsway. Small trucks transported the clay down the hill to a point near Burnley road and it was then transferred to the cable cars.
Old 19-01-2008, 08:12   #13
Senior Member+

the cable cars did indeed go down to the
redac brickworks not the nori
it also had a great big wired safety net running across burnley road
so as to catch any falling shale

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 14:49   #14

thanks ksh.for photo of cable car crossing burnley rd a pal of mine about 1964 one sunday set the tubs going done a lot damage lucky i was scared and di d not go i think he just got a fine he was a within grove lad some of you older members may know him he would be 57 now
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 16:08   #15
Resident Waffler

I remember them. I also remember mud on the road underneath that thingy to catch stuff. It would catch stone lumps but sometimes when the tubs came back, upside down, there would be small stuff or slutchy stuff falling out of them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..