Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41   #31

Re: MOD/ROCKER OR 60s HIPPY- CHICK

you mean like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevy.jpg (30.5 KB, 59 views)
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2006, 14:11   #32
Resting in peace

I was definitely a mod, living in Manchester in the middle 60s. Haircut a Vidal Sassoon rip-off (before he opened in M/c) and A-line dresses. Tan panstick on face, almost white lipstick (remember that one from Miners, girls?) and black eyeliner. Tight ski-pants and ballerina slippers. Anyone remember hairy jumpers? Before that it was the full skirts with the starched hen's bottom underskirts - you never wore less than three. Remember spit mascara? - you were supposed to moisten the brush with water, but nobody ever did.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 14:27   #33
mez
God Member

remember starching the underskirts every saturday ....if you ran out of starch . we used sugar & water then drip dryed um on line outside .those where the days late 50's early sixties for me ....ooo & then the mini's & hotpants i was really into those
Old 13-04-2006, 22:57   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
remember starching the underskirts every saturday ....if you ran out of starch . we used sugar & water then drip dryed um on line outside .those where the days late 50's early sixties for me ....ooo & then the mini's & hotpants i was really into those
the mind boggles mez lol
Old 13-04-2006, 23:34   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Hehehe, Kev is my best mates ex hubby. He's a great lad. Works for a social services type place down South now. I'll let him know you remember him, I usually see him around Christmas time when he comes to visit the kids with their pressies..
i used to mate around with kev when i was into punk also a lad called gibby(mark gibson) we went to loads of gigs, and hung out a the new era quite alot then, there were quite a few of us accy punks that all hung around together.
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 06:50   #36
Clearly Classy.......

I was a Goth

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 07:15   #37
God Member

I remember going to one of the first sports centre discos with chains of safety pins around me, all dressed in black and standing out a mile from all the other girls - I was the only one dressed like that as you can imagine. I was 13 when punk came out in 1977 and I was gutted that I was too young.

My best friend had Elton John and Barry Manilow records in her collection and I had the finest selection of punk! Oh, well we were still best friends despite of huge differences in music taste and clothes taste.

When I went to college punk was more or less replaced by goth look and it was a great time to be going out in Manchester. I did ok at college but perhaps not as well as I could have because I spent a lot of time going out and even longer getting ready to go out - my eye make up was a work of art.

Then 80s started to settle down and get 'proper' jobs so had to look smarter. Having said that I had ra-ra skirts and fishnets - thought I was boy george. haha!

Now I'm fortunate in that I work in the arts so don't have to look smart unless I have an important meeting, otherwise it's quite casual with jeans and sweater most days - still love black clothes! Chris says I'm a bit grungy sometimes but I guess that at my age I should be a bit tidier sometimes. I always make an effort when I have to!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 06:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASFC1951 View Post
I was a mod in the mid-60's. We had our suits made at Burtons or if you were really dedicated, at Ernie McKnoes on Blackburn Road. 4" deep pocket flaps, ticket pocket, 12" vent up the back, 6-button cuffs and parallel trousers, worn slightly short to show off our brogues. Rockers/teds (there were still a few 5O's diehards around town in the mid-60's) were our sworn enemies.

Quadrophenia was a good film, but the fights were a bit staged. You should have been on Peel Street bus station some Saturday nights in 67/68. It was like World War Three! As a natural coward I stayed well out of it!

Started growing my hair and turned a bit hippy when I went off to college in '69. But now i've gone full circle and wear my hair short, along with Ben Shermans and Harrington jackets. Incidentally, Harry, you can pick up Bens for around £20 at Slaters Menswear if you ever go into Manchester.
This just about sums it up, what do you think Steeljack.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 06:31   #39

Can any body recall the names of any mod shops, in Manchester in the 60s.
It was an incredible feeling wearing a brand new hand made suit, new shirt, new brogues, etc, talk about jack the lad, we thought we would be forever young.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 12:54   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Can any body recall the names of any mod shops, in Manchester in the 60s.
It was an incredible feeling wearing a brand new hand made suit, new shirt, new brogues, etc, talk about jack the lad, we thought we would be forever young.
Obviously can't talk about the 60s as I wasn't around (wish I was like, I was definitely born in the wrong decade!)

I get most of my gear from Oldham Street in Manchester, POP Boutique being my favourite along with some vintage shops along there.

I encourage any 'mature mod' () to take a visit to POP, the vintage gear in the shop is brilliant (also brilliantly cheap) and the café below the shop is constantly playing 60s music.
I'd go there everyday if I could.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 13:04   #41
white rabbits

I was of the young Elvis era,, The lads all had quifs in their hair and had it greased up with brillcream,,they wore big crepe soled shoes , then it was winklepickers and shoe lace ties....
Us girls all wanted to look like the fabulous Sandra Dee...with full skirts and paper nylon petticotes ,stockings not tights...and stileto shoes ,that made marks in the lino (i was always in trouble for that)
Old 31-05-2007, 00:54   #42
God Member

the saddest thing about being an aging Mod is the fact that when the term comes up these days in general mixed conversation (with young people) is that the term is now confused with web-site operators , apologies to the guys/gals who moderate this site e.g I once said to someone of similar age to me "yep I used to be a Mod when I was younger" and this bright young thing in its 20s chipped in and said "Oh did they have chat rooms then ? ".
Another occasion the topic was about RPGs ......any knowledge I have about RPGs is thru living in various conflict zones and is limited to Rocket Propelled Grenades, what the hell do I know about Rapid Production Graphics , talk about talking at cross purposes with Silicon Valley crowd
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 18:20   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

when i was teenager it was rarah skirts and floresent socks with white heals...lol
and that pink lippy and gold lippy....lol...oh and shoulder pads!!!

Last edited by panther; 31-05-2007 at 18:23.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 18:25   #44
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

rita sue and bob too, another 80's classic...LOL
Old 31-05-2007, 19:27   #45
Senior Member+

At 11 years old i thought i was something of a hells angel (well i cut the sleeves off my denim jacket).I was a punk at 17 in77(great timing).2nd generation mod at the end of the 70's.Bit of a drop out for a couple of years in the early 80's.A miserable northen git with spikey hair,trenchcoat & Bunnymen fixation in the mid 80's.Man about town ever since.
And i did the boot boy/suedehead get up just before the arrival of punk.Would'nt have been a Ted even if i'd been around at the time & you'd payed me in gold,could'nt stand the clothes & not too keen on the music.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..