Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 21:41   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Newspaper vendors etc.

I worked in Blackburn for a short while when I first left school (1959) and I was always amused by the 2 paper-sellers who stood on either side of Church St. when I was on my way home. The one who sold the Evening Telegraph would shout, "He'e He'gra'.", as loud as he could while the other one would bellow, "He'e Newzzz". They would get louder and louder, trying to shout each other down and glaring at each other whenever one of the made a sale.

They were always there, no matter what the weather. In the Winter they both had at least 2 overcoats on and they would stamp their feet, in the cold, to keep their circulation going. I have a vivid memory of the Salvation Army band, outside Boots Chemists at Christmas, playing "Silent Night" while the news vendors bawled their wares at the tops of their voices at every musical "rest".

I also remember the man who sold hot chestnuts in the Winter, from a cart that carried a little iron, pot-bellied stove with a tall chimney. He stood outside Woolworths in Blackburn and he did a roaring trade on cold days. I've had roasted chestnuts since, but they never tasted quite as good as the ones he pulled out of his little furnace.
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2006, 21:55   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Newspaper vendors etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I worked in Blackburn for a short while when I first left school (1959) and I was always amused by the 2 paper-sellers who stood on either side of Church St. when I was on my way home. The one who sold the Evening Telegraph would shout, "He'e He'gra'.", as loud as he could while the other one would bellow, "He'e Newzzz". They would get louder and louder, trying to shout each other down and glaring at each other whenever one of the made a sale.
Here comes the biggest conversation stopper ever.

Vocal chords are just like any muscle in yer' body .. that's why you do scales whilst having singing lessons, so that when you sing a vowel for instance the muscles in the vocal chord become strong for this particular sound. Remember my singing teacher telling me about Paper sellers .. they say it over and over again... the same words, so that that the muscles become atuned to these particular words, and therefore would be able to hear their calls for miles around. OK .. boring, boring .. but we remember certain bits of knowledge in our lifes don't we ?

Can't remember the Chesnut sellers, but sounds magical. Would make a good Christmas Card picture West Ender.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
.......... I worked in Blackburn for a short while when I first left school (1959) and I was always amused by the 2 paper-sellers who stood on either side of Church St. when I was on my way home ..........
We had a somewhat smaller population in Burnley and so we only had one downtown street corner newspaper vendor. His spot was at the corner of Manchester Road and St. James's Street by the Old Red Lion. Like the ones you recall, he was always there in the evening no matter what the weather, bellowing out his interpretation of the headlines. The same vendor was there for many years -- during the war he carried a black-out flashlight (blackened lense with a horizontal slit) so that he could show purchasers the headlines and make change.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:23   #4
Resident Waffler

I remember newspaper sellers who sold the "He'en He'grah" and the "Laaaaah pohhhhhhhhh!" It used to fascinate me as a child because I thought it was some sort of mystical foreign language. I was most disappointed when my Dad explained.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:33   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I remember newspaper sellers who sold the "He'en He'grah" and the "Laaaaah pohhhhhhhhh!" It used to fascinate me as a child because I thought it was some sort of mystical foreign language. I was most disappointed when my Dad explained.
Did he wear the overcoat with the string as a belt Willow ? Oh, and cut off gloves. Eh, and the candle dripping from his nose in cold weather ? ..

Now I'm going to get in trouble for tarring all Paper Sellers the same.
Old 10-12-2006, 00:29   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Did he wear the overcoat with the string as a belt Willow ? Oh, and cut off gloves. Eh, and the candle dripping from his nose in cold weather ? ..

that was snotty sid katex, the guy who used to stand outside redmans on sat nights selling the sports pink. dont remember him.
Old 10-12-2006, 00:50   #7
God Member

I seem to remember a guy on the Boulevard (Blackburn Bus Station) doing the same
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that was snotty sid katex, the guy who used to stand outside redmans on sat nights selling the sports pink. dont remember him.
Yes, I do remember him LOL .. good to know we moved around in the same circles ...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44   #9
Super Moderator

I remember Sid! Little bloke in a flat cap. Liked to have a pint in the Derby. Something of a racing tipster as well, if I recall. I can hear him now "Telegra-a-a-ph! Fina-a-l!"
Old 10-12-2006, 15:34   #10

Quote:
Did he wear the overcoat with the string as a belt Willow ? Oh, and cut off gloves. Eh, and the candle dripping from his nose in cold weather ? ..........
Ah, good remembrance there! Yes, as I recall, that pretty much fits our Burnley newspaper vendor to a T -- and of course the bright shiny spot on the lower right sleeve of his overcoat from the constant candle wiping!
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 16:44   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I remember Sid! Little bloke in a flat cap. Liked to have a pint in the Derby. Something of a racing tipster as well, if I recall. I can hear him now "Telegra-a-a-ph! Fina-a-l!"
Would it be the same Sid who also drank in the Pickwick?Always said "eh,eh" after every sentence,and had a disinfectant smell about him.Flat cap,racing...i'm sure it the same Sid.
Old 10-12-2006, 16:48   #12
Super Moderator

That's the feller!
Old 10-12-2006, 20:40   #13

I remember little spencer on the steps of the kings hall cinema selling telegraphs every night also a chap in redmans shop doorway which is now the bright furniture shop facing the town hall
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 23:04   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:

That was him! Standing outside Redmans like Cashman said, opposite the Town Hall.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 00:02   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Would it be the same Sid who also drank in the Pickwick?Always said "eh,eh" after every sentence,and had a disinfectant smell about him.Flat cap,racing...i'm sure it the same Sid.
he also was a bookies runner, and one day he did.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..