Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2009, 20:08   #46

Re: Priestly Clough

Bye the way, is the old bridge still there or did they take it down? I remember there was a plaque on the side because someone got murdered there.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2009, 21:13   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Bye the way, is the old bridge still there or did they take it down? I remember there was a plaque on the side because someone got murdered there.
There were two stones on the Mount St side of the bridge, I think they were removed and built into the new wall where the bridge was. Its a heck of a long time since I looked at them.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 19:58   #48

Enjoyed looking at the postcard Retlaw, thanks for posting it.

Last edited by davidf; 25-09-2009 at 20:01.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 20:46   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Been going through some old Observers today for 1936, came across a story that reminded me of when I was 6 years, one day in 1935 there was one hell of a storm in Accrington and the old Woodnook Railway bridge was damaged. In February 1936 issue there is an article about the rebuilding of the New Bridge, it was built of Nori brick, whereas the old one was stone.

Those stone plaques were removed from the old bridge and built into the retaining wall on the Mount St side of the New bridge. I was going to go round there today, but got side track in the library. with other things.
Used to play up on the side where the new line came across the banking putting 1/4d & 1/2d on the track before the train came, had to stick em on wi chewing gum, vibration kept tipping them off.
Retlaw.
Old 28-09-2009, 15:08   #50

Nelsons clough was at the end of Richmond Road. ran from fern gore to almost Ossy
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 13:52   #51

Was that road that went up to the clough along Perth street nicknamed the Black Path? Does anyone remember that old barn at the top there that had a small wall around it and carved into 2 stones was a milk bottle and a milkman????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 14:48   #52

CHarlesworths owned the house below Nelsons farm.Near the waterfall.The lodge you fished is shutts lodge.Farmer Nelson would never let us fish there.he put the run on use.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 22:04   #53
Senior Member+

WHAT MURDER?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:16   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
CHarlesworths owned the house below Nelsons farm.Near the waterfall.The lodge you fished is shutts lodge.Farmer Nelson would never let us fish there.he put the run on use.
I remember working for him on the school holidays,never understood a word he said to me???
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:00   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

WHAT MURDER?
I think you are refering to one of the farmers who lived up there. If I remember correctly he was always blocking rights of way and threatening people, somebody tied him to his gate and flogged him, don't know if he died or not.
Think he was called Nelson.
Retlaw.
Old 16-01-2010, 10:17   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I think you are refering to one of the farmers who lived up there. If I remember correctly he was always blocking rights of way and threatening people, somebody tied him to his gate and flogged him, don't know if he died or not.
Think he was called Nelson.
Retlaw.
Once came across a chap who said he used to own Nelsons Farm Retlaw, he was called Colin Nelson, lived in Gt Harwood when I knew him
Old 21-01-2010, 19:41   #57

Priestly Clough was alway a really special place for me. In the 60's we had picnics there, near 5 arches. In the 70's we'd skive off from Hollins and do the "jumps". this involved leaping over the brook, usually at its widest or most risky point in the name of bravado! The old railway is now a footpath accessible from Nutall St. We used to get to the clough from either the path at the southern edge of King Georges playing field or down Hill Street in Baxenden. Hollins cross country course also used to use the clough to get to Bullough Park and Miller Fold Ave area before returning to school via the riding school near the allotments in that area.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 12:48   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

WHAT MURDER?
I read in a book on local history that when the original stone bridge was built,circa 1840??,a local girl was murdered and found nearby.The stone masons erecting the bridge etched a match-stick type picture in memorium.Unfortunately this stone was lost during re-building.Pretty sure theres a pic in maybe Accy Acclaimed or one of Bob Dobsons books.The stone commemerating re-building is still there near to the cycle path entrance but is extremely worn and bare legible.GROOVE
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 13:11   #59
Member.

Old Farmer Nelson never had a problem with us fishing; and there was loads of us from Millerfold, he did have a problem with dogs which he would shoot on site; He lived on Willows Lane during the late 60s early 70s.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 13:26   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I read in a book on local history that when the original stone bridge was built,circa 1840??,a local girl was murdered and found nearby.The stone masons erecting the bridge etched a match-stick type picture in memorium.Unfortunately this stone was lost during re-building.Pretty sure theres a pic in maybe Accy Acclaimed or one of Bob Dobsons books.The stone commemerating re-building is still there near to the cycle path entrance but is extremely worn and bare legible.GROOVE
Do you men these two stones, I've posted them before.
The original stone bridge was built 1846

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodnook Bridge..jpg (283.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Woodnook Old Bridge..jpg (260.0 KB, 64 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..