Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 22:00   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Reverand Black and the Rockin Vicars

who remembers this group from the Con (monday nights) just been playing I Go Ape by Reverand Black and the Rocking Vickers, probably one of the best local bands of that era, they were banned from the con for stripping off to the waist,shock horror pmsl, also banned from TV because they wore dog-collars (hence the name) which i thought was a great shame, top rate group that shoulda/ woulda made it i believe without their attire. think they originated from the burnley area, also heard the drummer sadly died young.seem to remember the guy was a second man for east lancs carriers. anybody got any info/history on the group?
Old 03-05-2007, 23:04   #2
white rabbits

Re: Reverand Black and the Rockin Vicars

i remember them, they used to go around in a hearse,and they played at the pub across from the sparrow hawke ( forgot what it was called) at the bottom of ormerod rd in burnley...
Old 03-05-2007, 23:18   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ta granny, musta been from burnley area then eh? did you ever see em play?
Old 03-05-2007, 23:48   #4
white rabbits

I Never Actualy Saw Them Play,but They Caused A Lot Of Laughs ,or Upset With Their Strange Attire, I Personaly Thought It Was A Great Gimmick,,but There Was A Lot Of Prudes Who Were Shocked.....(get A Life)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19   #5
Super Moderator

A great band from the 60's, their version of "I Go Ape" really rocked. Lemmy (later of Motorhead) was in their line-up at one time.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26   #6

lad called ken hardacre was in the band.still lives in great harwood i believe.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:43   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
A great band from the 60's, their version of "I Go Ape" really rocked. Lemmy (later of Motorhead) was in their line-up at one time.
ya learn summat new everyday,cheers for that wyn, also rishton blue.anyone got a photo? that would be summat.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45   #8
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

I remember seeing them brought back some good memories that thanks cashman.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:09   #9
Super Moderator

There you go:

http://www.manchesterbeat.com/bands/...k/revblack.php
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46   #10

thanks for that wynonie.that about the queens at cleveleysis very interesting as i used to go there quite often.in the days of brian rossi. absolutely fantastic bloke.though a bit on the risque side then didnt bother me though.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
cheers wyn yer a star, interesting to note how vicars was spelt vickers on the records etc, story goes they had to change as vicars was Blaphemous- according to the powers that be.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05   #12
Super Moderator

Funny how times change, eh, Mr C? Their name wouldn't even raise an eyebrow these days.

Rishton Blue, Brian Rossi was in a fantastic Belfast band called the Wheels who shared a house in Blackpool with the Vicars. Brian's voice was very similar to Van Morrison's. Saw 'em once in '66 in Ossy, somewhere on Harvey Street, I think. They really tore the house down. I was so impressed, I went out and bought their latest record.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:45   #13

wynonie.wheels and them grew up together in belfast and played the plaza.van morrison can be heard playing sax on wheels records.
in the seventies and eighties herbie armstrong of wheels plays guitar on van morrisons albums.just been reading that van morrison regularily sat in with wheels.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53   #14
Super Moderator

RB, the Wheels were one of the great undiscovered bands of the 60's, in my opinion. Their records were regularly played on Radio Caroline North and they appeared in clubs all over the north of England. Herbie Armstrong and Rod Demick later formed a band called Yellow Dog and had a small hit on the mid-70's with a song called "Just One More Night". Saw Rod Demick a couple of years ago playing in a club in Manchester with a blues singer called Paul Lamb.
Old 04-05-2007, 13:26   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

great site wyn, actually left a comment on rev black on it.thanks again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..