Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2014, 13:39   #61
I am Banned

Re: Shops in Peel Street

Yes the little garden area at the top of Blackburn Rd (opposite the Canine) is the site of the crash. A shop I think not a bank.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2014, 19:24   #62
Full Member+

Only just found this thread. Eh brought back some memories. I had liberty bodices from Isabel's too. I still have a card she sent my mum when I was born. Bet no shops do that these days. Seem to remember another shop on that block that sold pinnies. If I recall correctly the make was Beech Tree. Many were the wrap around sort most ladies wore in 1930s and 1940s.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 20:12   #63
Beacon of light

I'm sure the Beech Tree pinny shop was at the top end of little Blackburn Road.....next to(or near to) Smiths confectioners shop......they made the tastiest corned beef hash pasties you ever tasted.......and I liked their Russian cake too, but was told never to ask what was in it(it was off cuts from all the different kinds of sponge cake and it was 'glued' together with jam).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 12:36   #64
Full Member+

Yeh Margaret I think you are right about the pinny shop being in Little Blackburn Road. Sorry another senior moment.
Old 17-10-2014, 13:06   #65
Beacon of light

It is Ok......they get more frequent as time goes on.
I only remember because that was where I got sent for our work overalls........and because it was near the confectioners too.

I remember Price's Cake shop in Peel street.......they used to make lovely trifles.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 14:22   #66
Full Member+

I loved Greens pies and cakes. They were up Burnley Road.
Old 12-09-2018, 16:46   #67

Veevers was my grand dads shop he sold out to the Co Op on retirement and yes they did sell odd things like chocolate flavoured ants.

I am trying to see if I can trace any pictures of the shop, as I was quite small when it was sold.
LD54XUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 18:38   #68

The truck crash was at the top of Little Blackburn Road. The truck came through the lights and hit the building which I think used to be an off licence killing a man. The building was never rebuilt and it was turned into a small garden with a couple of benches. wasn't one of the shops on Peel Street a chemists or was that the other side???
Old 26-08-2020, 14:35   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Memory joggers
didn't that become the jewelers on that corner?
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:14   #70

Were there no Trade Directories ever published for Accrington?

What about Telephone Directories. There might be some old ones in the Library.

Last edited by pompeylass; 28-08-2020 at 12:16.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 16:06   #71
Senior Member+

I am not aware of there being directories for Accrington only. The most common ones which did cover Accrington were published by Barrett's of Preston. The earliest known one was published by Rogerson in 1818 It covered much of NE Lancs
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 20:01   #72

I noticed you said about a 1951 Barrett's Directory but were there any more after that year, Bob?
Old 28-08-2020, 20:39   #73
Senior Member+

1951 was the last Barrett's covering Accrington, though the company continued with others later in the 50s. There have been other firms publishing some with Accrington content, but nowt since 1951.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 21:11   #74

Thanks, Bob. What a shame there are none after that.
Old 20-11-2020, 23:31   #75

My Grandmas Uncle and Aunty had the flower shop at no.18 in 1911, John and Martha Darbyshire. My gran is still going strong at 104 years old and tells me allsorts.
taddy likes this.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..