Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 04:57   #1

Spare Ground near Hyndburn Park School

Does anyone remember the spare ground located between "Henry St, Church and Hyndburn Park School" especially the underground bomb shelters .

I remember playing there and the bonfire nights being held held to Henry St. Also if I remember correctly there was a Pub in Henry St possibly between Dineley St and the Spare Ground

Whilst folks thought it was dangerous to play in the area at least we were off the streets, before I close I also remember playing on some spare ground in the Tanpits Area.along with the Hammertons.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Spare Ground near Hyndburn Park School

Think yeh mean what used to be nelson square Keith? gypsies used to camp on it mid 60s.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53   #3
Senior Member+

There has been a Nelson Square thread earlier this year (?)
The land Higgy is talking about was Nelson Square, the pub was The Bridge and a few doors up was The Wellington . From memory the spare land near The Tanpits was very small There was also a piece of land called The Croft, reached by walking from India St down Bradshaw St to Henry St, with the brick-built Sacred Heart school on your left.
There was no pub on the Dinely St side of Henry St, though there was a grocer's shop between Dineley St & Mill St.
There was the remains of a fine house, Dineley Hall, on the left as you entered Nelson Sq from Henry St.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...are-55927.html there has bob you started it.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Cashman Accy Webs mind of information
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49   #6

Have visited the website regarding ":Nelson Square", very interestingm however the tunnels I referred to wasn't Culverts and I would tend to agree with "Morejoe" in describing them as "Air Raid Shelters" at least thats what I was told.

Anyway I digress at least you kinow where I meant looking at the posts on this matter brought back many a happy memory especially on a Sundsay a few of us would venture Church Kirk over the canal bridge turn left then past the Dunkenhalch House, was always told it was haunted so didn't dare climb the fence. Cheerio
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 06:52   #7
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There has been a Nelson Square thread earlier this year (?)
The land Higgy is talking about was Nelson Square, the pub was The Bridge and a few doors up was The Wellington . From memory the spare land near The Tanpits was very small There was also a piece of land called The Croft, reached by walking from India St down Bradshaw St to Henry St, with the brick-built Sacred Heart school on your left.
There was no pub on the Dinely St side of Henry St, though there was a grocer's shop between Dineley St & Mill St.
There was the remains of a fine house, Dineley Hall, on the left as you entered Nelson Sq from Henry St.
You are right about the pubs and the shop at the corner of Dinely St. and Henry St. My stepfather Norman Morgan kept the shop for a number of years and I used to deliver groceries for him up Dill Hall Lane in a little wooden hand cart. I remember playing football and cricket on Nelson square. We used to play test matches during the summer holidays and spread them out over 5 days. Each player picked the name of a famous player and would be that player throughout the game. I can remember being Ray Lindwall but in name only unfortunately. I lived on Dinely Street throughout the fifties and seemed to spend at least half my time playing on the square.

wuff
wuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 20:57   #8

I left Hyndburn Park Secondary Modern School in 1948 aged 14 yrs. it was Nelson Square, with underground bomb shelters, I have a wealth of info of those days, and also of Accrington itself, be pleased to fill in anyone's gaps
doanotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 14:18   #9
Senior Member+

Doano Let me welcome you to your first posting hereon.I suspect you have a younger brother who started at the Grammar School as you left Hyndburn Park. ....Wuff, I may have been in your team. I was fast enough to have been Lindwall, but probably chose to be the mighty Clyde Walcott. That cinders-coverd land also doubled as a cycle track, of course we were on bikes but pretended they were motor bikes. The cinders buggered your tyres up.... I remember your shop well. I delivered meat in a butcher's bike up Dineley St. I was always a little afraid of Dineley Hall.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..