Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2005, 14:29   #1

Sydney St WMC

Did anyone ever go on the Sydney St trip to Belle Vue Zoo and amusement park in Manchester. Probably in the mid to late 1960's. My sister and I went on them for a number of years, they were always great fun. We would set off at about 10am from the club, on a double decker bus, and we were all given half a crown (12.5 pence) to spend, after tea we got another half crown. We loved going on the trips as we always felt grown up being allowed to do what we liked for the day.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2005, 01:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Sydney St WMC

Sorry Jelly Baby, wasn,t half a crown 30 pennies?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 01:27   #3
Senior Member+

Jelly I remember them trips to the Zoo and the great Camel rides, is Belle vue zoo still open?
12.5p, 2/6, half a crown,
5p = 1s so 30p was 6 bob.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 02:01   #4
Senior Member+

Now you,ve realy got me thinking Bazf. 2/6 was 30 p prior to decimalization, then it was 12 1/2 p but I can,t remember when we went decimal. I,m sure someone can remember,help.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 10:53   #5

We went decimal in Feb 1972 if I remember correctly.
There were 240 old pennies in £1
120 = 10/- or 10 shillings
8 x half crowns = £1

Jelly Baby
Old 29-11-2005, 07:21   #6

Feb 15th 1971.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 09:22   #7

I stand corrected. I remember I had a Saturday job at Asda (when it was on Blackburn Rd, now Glynn Webb, formerly Nightingales Garage), we had to do a 2 hour 'course' to enable us to work it all out!

Jelly Baby
Old 29-11-2005, 15:31   #8
Resting in Peace

I recall that the trips I had where from King Street WMC. Had to be quick on to the bus to get front seat upstairs lol. Also was given 2/6d and sometimes an orange or apple and a bar of chocolate. Can recall having rides on an elephant at the zoo.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 15:49   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
Did anyone ever go on the Sydney St trip to Belle Vue Zoo and amusement park in Manchester. Probably in the mid to late 1960's. My sister and I went on them for a number of years, they were always great fun. We would set off at about 10am from the club, on a double decker bus, and we were all given half a crown (12.5 pence) to spend, after tea we got another half crown. We loved going on the trips as we always felt grown up being allowed to do what we liked for the day.
went on em from sydney st in 50s, was always Belle Vue or southport, me dad was on commitee in those days n through to mid 60s, magics days long gone.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..