Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2008, 01:00   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: The 'Baby-Boomers Are Grumpy Old Men & Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm of the opinion that life is and always will be a struggle and it only needs one generation, (ours or the next one), to say, "sod you jack I'm alright", for us to be back in the dark ages of wars, famine and uncaring society.
I'm of the same opinion, though happily I doubt I'll be around to see it.

We are so reliant on a global economy that a second Dark Age is inevitable.

The country ground to a virtual halt in the seventies because of industrial strife. Just imagine what chaos would ensue if there was a sustained period without fuel, power, food, transport etc. There'd be anarchy, and the few farms we have in this country certainly couldn't feed the sixty million who live in these islands.

I might put my name down for an allotment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2008, 01:56   #17
Yank in King Art's Court!

Sorry about that Less. Ishould have clarified that I agreed with Margarets thought about living so much better than the Grandparents!

And Rindy, don't you worry about a thing little bruv! Plenty of food over here on the farm for me Accy Mates! Plus I could use some help with the firepower to protect the homested from my darker brethren who would head out this way after burning down Washington D.C..

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 10:19   #18
Senior Member+

great reading less
i feel lucky to have lived the past 61years in relative comfort
times in the past as you correctly say were terrible yet people survived
i can see no positive future for the babies of today i dont think im being cynical when i say yhat the system that surrounds us currently has to implode on itself people cannot keep taking without giving

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 13:32   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
great reading less
i feel lucky to have lived the past 61years in relative comfort
times in the past as you correctly say were terrible yet people survived
i can see no positive future for the babies of today i dont think im being cynical when i say yhat the system that surrounds us currently has to implode on itself people cannot keep taking without giving
couldn't have been that comfortable when you fell down from that tree.
Old 28-01-2008, 13:42   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
couldn't have been that comfortable when you fell down from that tree.
ha but you was there to comfort me cashy
its things like that , that keep you going

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 13:44   #21
God Member

Was it a beech tree?
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 14:36   #22

I notice that what has happened in the past has very much affected this generation. They do not save, they do not provide for pensions and the things they want, they WANT NOW! I suspect the reason for this is that they saw us, their parents, scrimp and struggle and get knowhere in the process and they have no intention of going through the same thing i.e. save for pensions that disappear, wait for things they will never have. I must admit I finally agree with the saying "she who expects nothing will not be disappointed" and no, I am not disillusioned or depressed - just realistic now.
Sue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..