Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2007, 13:36   #1

The Hippodrome

Recently in your friendly banter about the location of the hippodrome there was reference from willow the wisp about images of the place existing can anyone point me in the right direction please I was born down there and regret never having any interest in photography in those days
thanks if you can help
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2007, 13:45   #2
God Member

Re: The Hippodrome

This photo was posted by Atarah in 2003
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hippodrome1.jpg (3.2 KB, 207 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 13:46   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This photo was posted by Atarah in 2003
Where abouts was it?
Old 17-09-2007, 13:49   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Where abouts was it?
I put 'Accrington Hippodrome' into Google and got this
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a....php/f-73.html

Old 17-09-2007, 13:51   #5
God Member

Was it at the bottom of Ellison Street?
Old 17-09-2007, 13:56   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Was it at the bottom of Ellison Street?
Yes - bottom on the right - I remember going there with my mum, brother + 10 of his mates as a 8th? birthday outing for him. It was an ice show, the patch of ice on stage was just big enough for 2 people!!! at a time.
We were amused by small things in those days

Old 17-09-2007, 13:58   #7
God Member

Quote:
Yes - bottom on the right - I remember going there with my mum, brother + 10 of his mates as a 8th? birthday outing for him. It was an ice show, the patch of ice on stage was just big enough for 2 people!!! at a time.
Now it would have to be the Ice Show at Blackpool or they wouldn't be interested
Old 17-09-2007, 18:36   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I saw my first pantomime there when I was 4 or 5. It was "Babes in the Woods" and I was bowled over by the 2 kids who played the babes, I wanted to be up there doing that. About 20 years later I got my wish, not at the Hippodrome but the Spa Theatre in Whitby and not as a "babe", I was Prince Charming. So, all that singing, dancing and acting I used to do was all sparked off by Accrington Hippodrome.
Old 17-09-2007, 21:51   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Hippodrome

Quote:
Actually the Hippodrome was less than half way down Ellison Street on the right. I think that there were houses after that right up to the bus and tram depot, which was across the bottom.

Whenever I managed to scrape sixpence together I would make the long, long climb up to the gods to watch the variety shows.
Old 18-09-2007, 08:57   #10
Super Moderator

Are you sure, Jambutty? I seem to recall that the Hippodrome was very near to the bottom of Ellison Street, with just a small yard between the theatre and the bus depot.
Old 18-09-2007, 10:14   #11
Resident Waffler

To clear up any doubt - there's a photo of it in this post of Atarah's

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 11:52   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
To clear up any doubt - there's a photo of it in this post of Atarah's
Is that not the same as the one in post #2 of this thread
Ps just noticed a slight difference , but taken from same viewpoint

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-09-2007 at 11:54.
Old 18-09-2007, 12:36   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Hippodrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Are you sure, Jambutty? I seem to recall that the Hippodrome was very near to the bottom of Ellison Street, with just a small yard between the theatre and the bus depot.
Not 100% sure because memory is a funny thing. But I’m pretty sure.

As you walked down Ellison Street from Blackburn Road there was a back street that led to the top of the Tenament, where the fair used to be. From the top of King Street was a short street (barely 20 yards) leading to the Tenament and joining up with the back street from Ellison Street. At the top of this short street on one corner was a pie shop where you could get potato pie, peas and gravy for one shilling and eat them in a little room inside. A meal to die for. Those were the days when Holland’s pies were not just good but excellent. On the other corner were a barbers and my school mate Johnny Preston lived next door.

The back street was the entrance to the gods and also the general exit from the main theatre.

So the Hippodrome was about half way down Ellison Street. Mind you it was so large that unless you actually walked all the way down it could have looked as if it backed onto the bus and tram depot. I’ve got vague memories of the Co-op grocery store just a bit up from the Hippodrome.

After the Hippodrome there were some buildings, either offices of the depot or houses, then at the end of those was the bus and tram depot across the bottom of the street as you can see from the photographs so thoughtfully supplied.
Old 18-09-2007, 12:42   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Is that not the same as the one in post #2 of this thread
Ps just noticed a slight difference , but taken from same viewpoint
It's got a little bit more in it on either side of the theatre. There was something, some sort of building, further down the street but there looks to be a thing on top which you wouldn't get on a row of terraced houses.

I wonder if Atarah had any more piccies? I'll go a-hunting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 13:07   #15

Everyone has got Ellison st a bit wrong I could give a brick by brick description but that would be boring I lived at two houses down there from being born at number 4 to leaving number 7 when I was 14 in 1959 so I think that the only way to settle it is a good photograph
I appreciate all the attention Ellison st is getting
all I know is I don't have any photographs
keep up the good work
Tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..