Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Toilets

I lived on Mill Street for a while as a child. Just about where Morrisons is. We had a communal yard shared with Barnes Street, with tippler toilets at the bottom. Scared me witless!!
lindashanks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2012, 09:37   #17
Senior Member+

I can just about remember our outside lavatory we had when I was a child.

We walked about twenty yards up the muddy grass to a brick shed, inside was a board with a hole in it and below was a big tub. The shed had a little square door in it facing the lane outside. One a week a lorry with a tin covered bath like body came and two chaps got out, they pulled our tub out and tipped it into the thing on the lorry.
I always remember one chap called Scutt who was very small and when he lifted the tub over the side of the lorry it was higher than his head. I waited for it to go all over him but it never happened.

Once it was empty and replaced my dad had to go and get buckets of water from our stream and flush it out.

Like most of you on here my job was to make little squares out of newspaper for the bum wipes.

Happy days in village life.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50   #18

Remember my Uncle having a long drop when he lived on Lion Street, was scared stiff to go thought i would fall down never to be seen again. Always nipped home if i needed to go. My Dad had one outside that he still used untill he died five years ago. They call themselves posh now if they have two loo's, but when you think we were the posh ones. We were the first to have two loo's.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43   #19
Rest in Peace

I remember we had a long drop toilet in the back yard next to the coal place, this had a pipe part way down were the water from the kitchen when in.One time near xmas I had some jingle bells which I kept ringing and the dog would run round in circles with the noise,one evening my mother had the back door open,I was ringing the bells the dog all excited ran out of the kitchen,jumped on the toilet seat and went straight down the hole crying at the bottom.My mother made me go and bring my dad out of the Volunteers pub,I remember opening the door shouting my dads name and when I told him all round in the pub had a good laugh.
He came home got the dog with its collar pulled it out covered,left it in the yard for my mother to clean and went back to the pub.
I went quickley to bed,that was the last time I saw those bells.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38   #20
God Member

I can remember the outside toilet at my Grandparents on Exchange street, not a long drop though. They also had what we used to call "hard" toilet paper (Izal!) so me and my sister hated having to go there as we were used to Scottex at home Was next to the coal shed but they had it taken out when they got a grant to have a bathroom put in upstairs sometime in the seventies.
In the new bathroom my Gran put what she called "soft" toilet paper for guests in a sort of doll whose skirts held the paper! It was kept on the window ledge next to the loo!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:22   #21

I remember the long drop in our house on Water Street, Great Harwood. We used old cut up newspapers instead of toilet paper so on cold days I just lit some and dropped them down. It was warm and comfortable but I finished up with a smoky bum!
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 19:49   #22
Senior Member+

My grandparents had a 'long drop'. I remember going out to it one day and hearing this meow from the bottom(luckily before I used it).
Grandad got a torch and there at the bottom were these two glowing eyes. He came back with a long brush, lowered it down, the cat climbed on and up he came. As soon as he reached the top he flew off, showering us with unpleasantness!
I still remember it was a sort of ginger, although that may not have been its natural colour.

I wonder what would happen to a cat which fell in a 'tippler' which then tipped? They say cats can find their way home but there's a limit.

I remember the old Observer had a nice texture, similar to Izal but thicker and safer to use.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 05-05-2012 at 19:52.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 20:27   #23
Beacon of light

My Grandparents had a two hole tippler toilet outside......they also had a flush toilet upstairs(I thought they were very posh)...back to the two holer...who on earth would want to have someone sat next to them while they did the necessaries?
Grandad was always sent out to the backyard lavvy when he had been out and had a skinful the night before.......it was a long time before I understood the reasoning behind this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:13   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
My dad often talks about the communal bog they had on Mill Street in Clayton. He said you could always tell when someone had been drinking Lion's bitter

.... and eating curry. The mind bog-gles.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 23:21   #25
God Member

First I remember was a tippler, when we lived on Queen Street ... when we moved in with my grandad on Rishton Rd., there was a real flush, ceramic bog outside. Weren't all outdoor bogs next to the coal shed? Oh for the days when you could recycle the "Daily Mail" right in your own bog
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
First I remember was a tippler, when we lived on Queen Street ... when we moved in with my grandad on Rishton Rd., there was a real flush, ceramic bog outside. Weren't all outdoor bogs next to the coal shed? Oh for the days when you could recycle the "Daily Mail" right in your own bog
The outside bog was always next to the coal hole, in all the houses i lived in.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15   #27
Beacon of light

In our communal yard, at the house where I spent most of my childhood, the lavvies were in a bank on one side of the yard, the coal holes were in a bank on the other side of the yard.
Coal holes were locked ...the lavvies were not(thank goodness).
You didn't need to worry about anyone stealing the lavvy paper, we all wiped our BTMs on one newspaper or another. No Andrex back then.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you hadn't have bought it you would have knackered Eric
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In our communal yard, at the house where I spent most of my childhood, the lavvies were in a bank on one side of the yard, the coal holes were in a bank on the other side of the yard.
Coal holes were locked ...the lavvies were not(thank goodness).
You didn't need to worry about anyone stealing the lavvy paper, we all wiped our BTMs on one newspaper or another. No Andrex back then.
I was brought up in Monarch Street Ossy Margaret, on our side of the street (RIGHT H. S. going down) we all had our own back yard and loo + coal shed, on the other side they had a communal Yard which shared with top three houses in Milton Street, the loos were in a bank as were the coal sheds. We were lucky in our house my mother worked at Hygiene Supplies on Stone Bridge Lane, who made nothing but bog rolls, we had um coming out of our ears
Old 14-05-2012, 20:50   #30

remember public toilets at the top of victoria st clayton next to the canal near to the tory club violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..