Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2008, 08:39   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Was King St Accy a Red Light area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You trying to kid yourself here Cashy?
nah just sayin it as it is Bernie.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:06   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Back in the old days, "something for the weekend" was a coded phrase for condoms
You see, I didn't know that and when the barber asked me that question, I asked for a quarter of jelly babies and a bottle of sarsaparilla!
Old 16-04-2008, 17:42   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You see, I didn't know that and when the barber asked me that question, I asked for a quarter of jelly babies and a bottle of sarsaparilla!
Obviously you've led very sheltered life TM
Old 16-04-2008, 21:38   #19
Resting In Peace

cashy,
i think the pub on king st was the cattel market, not cattelmens.
i may be wrong.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 23:31   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
cashy,
i think the pub on king st was the cattel market, not cattelmens.
i may be wrong.
yeh may be right with name tosh, was talking about the lodging house though.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
King Street in Blackburn is a red light area isn't it?
Not King St itself, but some of the side streets off it, in the one way system. We used to see some of the girls touting for business when I was taking my daughter to netball at Witton Park. Many of them couldn't have been more than 16yrs. Years ago, in the mid 70's, one of the girls used to work out of Yates Wine Lodge (the old one) Flo she was called. She used to have us in stitches with the stories she told about her 'clients'.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 11:02   #22

I worked on King Street, BLACKBURN during the 70s and that area including Clayton Street and Mincing Lane was the "Red Light" district, however a few months ago I went to Blackburn with a mate to pick up a car and suprise, suprise it's still the same!
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 21:38   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh may be right with name tosh, was talking about the lodging house though.
Hi Cashy
As I remember the Cattle Market on King Street in Accy was a pub and a lodging house, so named for it's proximity to the slaughter house and market on Hyndburn Road.
The Landlord at one time was Mat Ellison who went on to be a sawdust merchant in Church.
I got a red card from one of our grannies for mentioning a local butcher, but I know when I was eating hovis as a young lad, the same butcher made an excuse every Friday when the Golden Eagle arrived in a packet, he would make his excuses and appear full of health and rosy cheeks on Monday a 'Made Man'

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 00:22   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Hi Cashy
As I remember the Cattle Market on King Street in Accy was a pub and a lodging house, so named for it's proximity to the slaughter house and market on Hyndburn Road.
The Landlord at one time was Mat Ellison who went on to be a sawdust merchant in Church.
I got a red card from one of our grannies for mentioning a local butcher, but I know when I was eating hovis as a young lad, the same butcher made an excuse every Friday when the Golden Eagle arrived in a packet, he would make his excuses and appear full of health and rosy cheeks on Monday a 'Made Man'
ta fer that Roy mate.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..