Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2006, 20:41   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

What Films Impressed You?

We've had radio and TV but do any films hold a special place in your memory from childhood?

I have fond memories of the Superman serials (Kirk Wotsisname, long before Christopher Reeves) and the Roy Rogers films, though I can't remember a single title or plot of those. The first film that really made an impression on me was The Glenn Miller Story, about 1954 ( I was 11), which started my life-long passion for both Glenn Miller and the lovely Jimmy Stewart. I have the film on tape and still watch it, regularly, to this day.

I also remember going to see Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel", with Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones in the lead roles. We had the LP at home so I knew the music and the story, which is quite sad. I went to see it at Ossy Paladium with 3 school friends and I can still remember how embarrassed I was when we came out of the cinema, in daylight as it was Summer, and my eyes were like 2 poached eggs as I'd sobbed all the way through it. Well, I was only about 13.
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2006, 21:02   #2
God Member

Re: What Films Impressed You?

Forrest Gump was one of the first films that I really remember watching. Must've been about 6. Seen it millions of times since, it's one of the best films ever made in my opinion. It's got everything in there; makes you laugh & cry at the same time, making you forget the fact that this character is completely fictional! Tom Hanks is the dogs bollocks of the acting world there's few better than him.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 21:07   #3
God Member

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - first saw that and was amazed.

Richard Dreyfus is incredibly underated but also features in another of my all time favourite films - The Goodbye Girl.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 21:23   #4

The Magnificent Seven...one of my favourites....but love all the old Humprey Bogart films........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 21:43   #5

GREEN MILE

Tom Hanks again

What a legend film with John coffee and mr Bo Jangles, it made me cry.....

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 22:07   #6
God Member

dirty dancing one of my favs "no-one sits baby in a corner" or is that just me being soppy
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 23:45   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

soldier blue. tells a more accurate story of how the indians were treated,than all the bull seen in the john wayne etc movies,p.s. not havin a pop at j.w. i enjoy his films,but prefer accuracy.
Old 22-05-2006, 00:03   #8
Senior Member+

I remember my mum taking me to the Ossy Paladium to see 'Pollyanna', I was glad for days!

There are so many to choose from. The war type ones like Mrs Miniver, Brief Encounter.....all of Bette Davis' films..........modern day as in Pretty Woman, Notting Hill and such........but my all time favourite is Dirty Dancing. How could anyone put Jennifer Grey in a corner!!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 03:18   #9

A few of what I liked, The Graduate, Easy Rider, Guess who"s coming to dinner, Midnight Cowboy, Arsnic & old Lace, Lavander Hill Mob, Kind hearts and Coronets.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 06:29   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I remember being let loose to go to the pictures and see Star Wars, I loved it. I also remember sneaking in to see Grease, I was just that little bit too young to see it and had to try and make myself look a bit older in order to get in. Me and my mates were putting make up on whilst we were in the queue but we all got in.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 09:09   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozaup
GREEN MILE

Tom Hanks again

What a legend film with John coffee and mr Bo Jangles, it made me cry.....
Absolutely one of the best films i have watched this film so many times and i have cried every time!!

Another one for me is The Shawshank Redemption a fantastic film and another one i have wached countless times .
Old 22-05-2006, 13:04   #12
Give, give, give member

I've never seen any films at the cinema that really hooked me. I did go to the premier of Merchant Ivory's Maurice which I enjoyed, but my all time favourite films I first saw on tv. These include Death in Venice which me fall in love with the music of Mahler, Cabaret, and my all time favourite film Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 13:49   #13
Resting in Peace

There is a film called SAN DEMETRIO LONDON about a merchant navy oil tanker that got torpedoed the crew got off but after saling around ended up back aboard and saved the ship The ship in the film was actually the San Vito that my dad sailed on he was fourth engineer
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 22:13   #14
Accy Goddess

I found soldier blue a fantastic film. Whilst it was churning the toughest of stomach's it made me cry. It was soooo sad.
The Green mile is another brilliant film that had me in floods of tears.
The film Mandy was one of the first brilliant films I saw. I cried buckets.
Big red,old yeller an the fluke.
There have been so many good films over the years.
I just love a good tear jerk-er.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 22:23   #15

I also like Adam Sandler i think " Happy Gilmore" has to be the funniest film ive seen and watched over 100 times.

"your gonna die clown!"

Blackburn Rovers Supporters Football Club

Club Website: www.brsfc.com
wozaup is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..