Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 14:18   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Whatever happened.......... Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Along with the demise of our heritage of back street pubs we also lost a lot of working mens clubs, I remember my mum going to Bingo and to listen to the Turn at the (AE?U) god can't remember the name, it was on Blackburn Rd by the station.
The AEU club is now a restaurant called Accrington Pride.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2005, 14:20   #17

I posted this thread on Burnley web a few months back and I hope it may be of interest to you, I hope so! QUOTE=wayneyboy1942]Now it may be bad news for bitter drinkers,we are now drinking less and less bitter and we tend to have wine and larger instead. I've pinched this info from a paper yesturday.
The top selling beers are....

1 Stella Artois £591.8 million
2 Carling £318.0 milliom
3 Fosters £256.8 millon
4 Budwweiser £150.9 million
5 Carlsberg £126.3 million
6 Kronenbourg 1664 £122.0 million
7 Grolsh £116.1 million
8 Carlsberg Export £97.2 millon
9 Tennents £65.8 million
10 Guinness £63.9 million. .[/QUOTE]

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 14:26   #18

[QUOTE=wayneyboy1942]Just for the record I'll post the the rest of the top 20 selling beers.

11 Becks £59.4 million
12 Carlsberg Specail brew £51.4 million
13 Tennents Super £51.2 million
14 John Smiths Extra smooth £49.6 million
15 Miller Beer £40.0 million
16 Boddingtons £37.0 million
17 Castlemain xxxx £35.9 million
18 Guiness original £35.1 million
19 Skol £26.5 milloin
20 Miller Genuine Draught £25.6 million
There you go pop pickers.
[/QUOTE The paper was saying that bitter drinkers were a dying breed.

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 17:14   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Along with the demise of our heritage of back street pubs we also lost a lot of working mens clubs, I remember my mum going to Bingo and to listen to the Turn at the (AE?U) god can't remember the name, it was on Blackburn Rd by the station.
A.E.U. is correct,used to have a great friday night disco,with the late harry curry d.j. best oldies d.j. ever round here in my opinion.
Old 17-04-2005, 01:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
The Union and the Palatine...both cracking pubs and both, sadly long gone. Another of my regular haunts, just across Blackburn Road, was the Langs Arms on Grant Street. Accy seems to have lost a lot of its backstreet pubs these days, more's the pity.

Just off-topic slightly, does anyone remember the carpenters shop near to the Union? It had a wooden chain in the window which my dad told me was carved from one piece of wood. Fascinated me as a kid.

I remember both pubs on Hyndburn rd. wynone but not as drinking holes. I used to walk to school (accy g.)along hyndburn rd in the early fifties and I used to frequently stop outside the window of the carpenters shop and look in wonder at the chain made out of wood. I had ambitions of making one myself but never got round to it
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 18:02   #21
land of hope and glory

the club on the corner was the AEIU. YOU ALL MISSED THE I...........lol

was in the palentine on the last day it was open, stripper on and the police raided it!
worked behind the bar at the langs when brian and gail hoole ran it,its a dieing trade due to rent rises,beer prices,and dvds,videos and sky tv.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 22:42   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
the club on the corner was the AEIU. YOU ALL MISSED THE I...........lol

was in the palentine on the last day it was open, stripper on and the police raided it!
worked behind the bar at the langs when brian and gail hoole ran it,its a dieing trade due to rent rises,beer prices,and dvds,videos and sky tv.
your quite correct about the i staggeringman but everybody called it the aeu p.s who was last landlord of the palatine? was it D.H.
Old 26-04-2005, 17:41   #23
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
your quite correct about the i staggeringman but everybody called it the aeu p.s who was last landlord of the palatine? was it D.H.
cant remember at this moment but will let you know.yes it was a bloke called dave h...t

Last edited by staggeringman; 26-04-2005 at 18:04.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 19:05   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Smile Re: Whatever happened.......... Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
cant remember at this moment but will let you know.yes it was a bloke called dave h...t
thought so used to go in very occasionally knew him and his brother E H long time ago.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:24   #25
Resting in Peace

Although don't drink beer, there used to be a saying, Duttons for gluttons, Thwaites for mates and one other but cannot think of this ? Anyone know ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

don't remember that katex but the other local brew was Mathew Brown which became Lions. p.s. i don't drink beer either,but not by choice.lol
Old 19-11-2005, 17:38   #27

When I was a teenager just about the only beer you could get on tap in the Burnley area was Thwaites, Dutton or Massey (Burnley brewery). Remember the brewery and pub/beer loyalty (the local) people used to have in those days? One uncle of mine would only drink Dutton's and his favorite pub was the "General Havelock" (Manchester Rd., Burnley) while another would only drink Thwaites and his favorite pub was "The Junction" in Rosegrove. Neither one would drink Massey's no matter what! My father liked Massey's or Thwaites but not Dutton's -- he had two "locals" on Manchester Rd. -- the "Rose & Crown" and the "Bull & Butcher".

The only beer/ale which seemed to be universally acceptable to my father's generation was "Bass" in bottle -- that is what they would bring home from the pubs when they had late night parties.

Of course, my pals and me drank any brand of beer from any pub at hand wherever we were, such as "John Smith" at Todmorden when we followed Burnley during Cricket matches -- I don't remember it being available "across the border" in Lancashire in those days.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 19:18   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Although don't drink beer, there used to be a saying, Duttons for gluttons, Thwaites for mates and one other but cannot think of this ? Anyone know ?
Labatt's for tw............

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..