Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 22:55   #46
God Member

Re: Who remembers?

The men who worked at Altham coke works left work blackened too.
After leaving school I worked for a short time at Mullards Simonstone and we shared a works bus with them. Their muck got rubbed off on your sleeves if you shared a seat with them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2008, 00:21   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was there not an old drift mine at altham? way back.
Old 24-03-2008, 08:52   #48
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Who remembers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Can you answer a query for me? When I was very young, before I went to Paddock House School, I remember miners getting on the Blackburn buses at Church Commercial, which I got to go to West End. This must have been before pithead baths as they always had coal dust on their faces. Where was there a pit near there? I can't remember one.
As near as I can remember Blackburn didn’t have a pit. Maybe the guys that you saw weren’t miners but workers in a coal yard where domestic coal was bagged. They would get just as mucky as a miner, as would the coalman who delivered the coal to the houses. Apart from Scaitcliffe pit in Accrington there was a pit at Huncoat, one at Hapton and a drift mine at Read, then Burnley.

It was very difficult to get rid of the coal dust embedded at the base of the eyelashes. So miners would look like they were wearing eyeliner makeup. Most never bothered to try during the week.

If you tried using soap it got in your eyes and stung like blazes. We were told to use Vaseline.

Last edited by jambutty; 24-03-2008 at 08:56.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 10:26   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just come to me west-ender, way back there used to be barges stop on the leeds n liverpool canal in a little bay where the "Coke ovens" are situated, could it be some of the guys that used to load em? used to be a little pub just past bridge street,workers were known to frequent that.(forget name)
Old 24-03-2008, 11:07   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just come to me west-ender, way back there used to be barges stop on the leeds n liverpool canal in a little bay where the "Coke ovens" are situated, could it be some of the guys that used to load em? used to be a little pub just past bridge street,workers were known to frequent that.(forget name)
Weren't the Australian were it cashy, might have got the wrong name, but
Ernie Gribble was the last landlord before they pulled it down, he then moved to the White Bull, up New Lane
Old 24-03-2008, 12:03   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

nah australian was on the "Pleck" off Bull Bridge" Accy, still see the last landlady occasionally.
Old 24-03-2008, 13:50   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
was it called the navigation
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 13:54   #53
Senior Member+

Apart from Scaitcliffe pit in Accrington there was a pit at Huncoat, one at Hapton and a drift mine at Read, then Burnley.

was hapton valley pit and thorneybank colliery one of the same ?

thorneybank was on burnley road near the hapton inn
were was hapton valley pit ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 13:58   #54
Passed away 25-11-09

They'd have had a long walk from Hapton.
Old 24-03-2008, 14:03   #55
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:

These blokes wore white helmets with torches on the front so I think they must have worked down the pits. I'm going back to about 1949/50 and there was always about a half dozen of them waiting for the bus at Church around 4.30 p.m. I don't think they were still around in later years.
Old 24-03-2008, 15:43   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwendosser View Post
was it called the navigation
Ya spot on DD couldn't think of it, as soon as cashy said where the Australian was I knew I had it wrong, although I remember Ernie teling me about his days in the Navi as he used to call it, sadley he's no longer with us
Old 24-03-2008, 16:37   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
Apart from Scaitcliffe pit in Accrington there was a pit at Huncoat, one at Hapton and a drift mine at Read, then Burnley.

was hapton valley pit and thorneybank colliery one of the same ?

thorneybank was on burnley road near the hapton inn
were was hapton valley pit ?
I think there was also a colliery in Rishton at one time , somewhere near Walmsley St. supposedly the workings extended as far as Gt. Harwood and were responsible for the subsidence in the Park Rd. area where the houses were pulled down near to the gas works
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:03   #58
God Member

just come across this link showing all the collierys in operation North East lancashire in 1908, surprised at the number in Accrington and Ossy
lom08lan1
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:15   #59
God Member

Good link Jack
seeing that Ossy had mines until 1930, I have been inspired to google more.
Wikepedia has a list too
List of collieries in Lancashire 1854-present - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have always wondered where the Ossy mines were , because on moving here 6 years ago, a neighbour who is an industrial history fan, told me that the open land around our flats could not be built on due to old mineworkings being too near the surface,

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:33   #60
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

noticed it says one in ossy...red walls
where is that?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..