Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2007, 16:07   #1

WMC's picnics and xmas parties

Whenever I think of the wonderful old days the working mens club picnics and christmas parties of the 50's and 60's always come to my mind. I have not lived in Accrington for many years, so these annual events could still be around today.
But to me as a kid they were many times the highlight of my year.
When the coach (or sharrabang as my dad called it) drew up to the club door we all piled on with our name badges in case we got lost. My Dad was a member of the AEU and Willow Mount, my uncle Canine and Band Club so even if we could not afford a holiday at least I was guaranteed 4 days out. Southport, Blackpool Tower Circus and a Fun Fare in Manchester but I can't remember the name were always the favourites.
At Christmas I loved the parties with fun and games and of course anyone who could sing a song got sixpence, and we never left without a gift. The Canine club in addition to the gifts always gave fruit a big red apple and tangerines.
Does anyone else have fond memories of these wonderful days.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2007, 16:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: WMC's picnics and xmas parties

i remember many an annual outing from the sydney st club
in the 50/60s we always went to southport in the sharabanc
e had to wear a carboard badge with our name on for if we got lost
always stopped on the way back at the tickled trout

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 17:01   #3
God Member

I used to go on the AEU trips and we also used to go to the Tower Circus at Blackpool when my mum worked at Burco.
Old 16-10-2007, 22:12   #4
God Member

ooooohhhh my grandad was a member of the canine and i used to love the xmas parties as a child . once remember them doing a float in the accy carnival and all the kids were allowed to be on it .. it was just the best feeling. also remember the annual coach trips to come and see the lights .
(sigh!!!) awww those were the days .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 22:18   #5

Springhil WMC for me. Southport in the summer with a ham &chips tea + icecream then 50p to spend in pleasureland?/funland? The tide was always out. Always 2 corporation buses(no seat belts) and a race between the drivers to see who got there first.Lots of rude songs that I didn't understand too eg "The first time I met her, I met her in pink...."
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 15:56   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i remember many an annual outing from the sydney st club
in the 50/60s we always went to southport in the sharabanc
e had to wear a carboard badge with our name on for if we got lost
always stopped on the way back at the tickled trout
yep many happy days to southport from sydney st club, always got 10 bob spending money also.
Old 11-11-2007, 16:14   #7
God Member

Park View (better known as the bottom club), Clayton for me. I remember going to Blackpool Tower Circus on one of the trips. As well as taking the kids on trips out, when the members went on their own trips they used to throw money out of the bus windows for us kids to pick up - ah memories
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 21:18   #8
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Springhil WMC for me. Southport in the summer with a ham &chips tea + icecream then 50p to spend in pleasureland?/funland? The tide was always out. Always 2 corporation buses(no seat belts) and a race between the drivers to see who got there first.Lots of rude songs that I didn't understand too eg "The first time I met her, I met her in pink...."
Thanks for the memories, I was there, I remember going back to Southport with my wife about 15 years ago to try and relive a bit of those great days out only to come away depressed. I guess it was a kind of magic something only a child could enjoy.
I had trouble going to sleep last night as the song you quoted was buzzing around in my head for ages.

Faster faster, alley alley aster!!!

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 21:31   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Thanks for the memories, I was there, I remember going back to Southport with my wife about 15 years ago to try and relive a bit of those great days out only to come away depressed. I guess it was a kind of magic something only a child could enjoy.
I had trouble going to sleep last night as the song you quoted was buzzing around in my head for ages.

Faster faster, alley alley aster!!!
its even more depressing now for kids, Pleasureland is gone.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..