Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 23:11   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Worst tear down, new build, conversion, Idea that has happened in Accy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yeah, me too, mate!
yeh but you cant plead insanity.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep, it is, Mr C. Was giving an example to illustrate Gary's comment that another town would have thought it was a unique asset to be restored and maintained (but not as a Con club, of course!).
Think I know a little bit about the old Con Club Wyn, unfortunately it was riddled with merulius lacrymans and the little wee beastie anobium punctatum or in other words dry rot and woodworm, and when I say riddled I mean riddled, Back in the early 90s when it was still a con club it would have cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to treat it, and I think that has always been the bug bear with this once magnificent building which played a part in the lives of so many people in their early years. Sad but very true
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12   #18
Senior Member+

Worst tear down, new build, conversion, Idea that has happened in Accy!!

Might not come under "the heading" but ...... Barnes Furniture shop is often missed by me. Could never understand why they left town. They had been in Accrington, originally on Blackburn Road, for many many years! They also had a carpet section at the front of the Arcade, on Church Street. Generations of Accringtonians bought furniture or carpets from them. I remember my Gran telling me she that when first married, she used to buy stuff from them on "the never never".

T'was across from The Bridge Pub, on the corner of Church Street and Cannon Street. What a good shop it was.

Three photos here, two of how it was and one of how it appears to be now. (Not the best of photos, but it gives an idea of the inside of the building).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barnes Furniture shop.jpg (164.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Barnes in the Arcade.JPG (35.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Barnes old shop July 2011.jpg (166.7 KB, 40 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:28   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Demolishing hundreds of solid, stonebuilt terraced houses all over town and replacing them with characterless lego houses or weed-infested wastelands.
I have wondered who made a killing selling off all the stonework - not just from the houses but the Grammar school and the Sacred Heart Church. There must have been a great deal of other salvageable material.
Perhaps the Council paid someone to do the demolition and remove the materials?
Old 08-07-2011, 16:35   #20
Senior Member+

I was once told that the lovely wrought iron entrance gates to the old Grammar School had gone to Ireland. Dont know if any truth in it.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:45   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I was once told that the lovely wrought iron entrance gates to the old Grammar School had gone to Ireland. Dont know if any truth in it.
Probably along with numerous caravans Atarah
Old 08-07-2011, 17:49   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Might not come under "the heading" but ...... Barnes Furniture shop is often missed by me. Could never understand why they left town. They had been in Accrington, originally on Blackburn Road, for many many years! They also had a carpet section at the front of the Arcade, on Church Street. Generations of Accringtonians bought furniture or carpets from them. I remember my Gran telling me she that when first married, she used to buy stuff from them on "the never never".

T'was across from The Bridge Pub, on the corner of Church Street and Cannon Street. What a good shop it was.

Three photos here, two of how it was and one of how it appears to be now. (Not the best of photos, but it gives an idea of the inside of the building).
Wow, the entrance to the Arcade looks ultra smart.

Sadly, not quite the same today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:27   #23
Junior Member+

Have they gone...?? The Grammar School & Sacred Heart church ...?? so long since I've been back !
Cybernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:56   #24
God Member

Just out of interest, which - if any - HBC departments occupy that hideous 1960's mess at the back of the Town Hall?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 21:34   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernan View Post
Have they gone...?? The Grammar School & Sacred Heart church ...?? so long since I've been back !
Both Grammer School long since houses yon now, Sacred Heart just a few years back, still n empty space yon,boarded around.
Old 12-07-2011, 21:57   #26
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Both Grammer School long since houses yon now, Sacred Heart just a few years back, still n empty space yon,boarded around.
Thanks for the update.....what a shame....must look so different...so where is the Grammar school now... & the church ..?
Cybernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 22:50   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thanks for the update.....what a shame....must look so different...so where is the Grammar school now... & the church ..?
On a tip somewhere i should imagine.
Old 13-07-2011, 00:33   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Grammar School, and the Accrington High School for Girls, both closed in the mid seventies, with the introduction of the comprehensive system.

Under that system Moorhead High School was built, which incorporated the old High School buildings.

It's a great pity the Grammar School was demolished, in my opinion. It was a fine, and imposing building, with a long history, in the story of Accrington's educational institutions.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 09:22   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Grammar School, and the Accrington High School for Girls, both closed in the mid seventies, with the introduction of the comprehensive system.

Under that system Moorhead High School was built, which incorporated the old High School buildings.

It's a great pity the Grammar School was demolished, in my opinion. It was a fine, and imposing building, with a long history, in the story of Accrington's educational institutions.
Well Wynonnie was educated there G, and don't forget Peter
Old 20-07-2011, 22:00   #30

I visited Accy to see the Grammar school where my father was a pupil, they lived at No1 Hartmann Street, and all I found was a pile of rubble, very sad.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..