Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Help for a stupid techno phobe (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/help-for-a-stupid-techno-phobe-31909.html)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:20

Help for a stupid techno phobe

I have got a pc given from a genuine source; it has windows xp on it already but I keep getting a message saying it's a counterfeit copy ! I have tried to update the tool key ,put the 25 digits in from the label on the back of the pc and it says it's not recognised. What do I do next ? The label on the back looks genuine enough to me.
Plain english please cos i know nothing about these things !

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:28

Re: Help for a stupid techno phobe

Did your genuine source possibly get it from a less genuine source? It sounds like a dodgy copy, but I could be wrong. Entwisi will know more about this sort of thing.

KIPAX 05-07-2007 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 444696)
Entwisi will know more about this sort of thing.

As will a lot of other people.

The XP on there isn't the one that came with the machine.. that simple. You need to install a genuine copy or search google for a workaround :)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:38

Got it from my step dad ,he bought it new. What do we mean by "workaround" ? I told you I was stupid !

entwisi 05-07-2007 11:43

There are some 'genuine' windows license keys that are being identified as dodgy. There is a phone number for Windows activation, If you are absolutely sure of its provinence then ring them and tell them its life history and they should be able to issue with a new number.

You do need to know where your dad bought it from though. If its a large store like PC world etc then you will be fine, if it was some bloke on a market somewhere then probably( but not necessarily) not.

The workaround Kipax mentions is a way that confuses the windows genuine check tool into thinking its legit even if it isn't.

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 444699)
As will a lot of other people.

:D Hello Kipax.

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 11:50

It's got a "Time " logo on the front and a silver label on the back with the same logo and a serial number. Is this a good thing ? :confused:

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 11:54

A Time label is never a good thing! (Sorry Lindsay:D, I'll toddle off and leave Kipax and Entwisi to answer sensibly.)

entwisi 05-07-2007 12:01

Did your FIL buy it from Time or from someone else?

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 12:06

I will try and find out !

entwisi 05-07-2007 12:16

If he did then just call Microsoft up and tell them your problem. IF they can't help let us know.

If however he bought it s/h it is probably as Kipax mentions a dodgy copy installed by someone. we can cross this bridge when we come to it.

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 15:31

Cheers chaps !

***Mr D*** 05-07-2007 17:03

Could also of been a discountinued multi licence install maybe.

Even if it is dodgy it doesnt do no harm, effect you PC just the annoyance of being reminded all the time.:)

lindsay ormerod 05-07-2007 19:32

It's been installed by a " friend" so it's dodgy ! i wouldn't mind if was judt the message but i tried to listen to summat on Amazon today and it won't let me install the thing you need to listen to stuff ! Grrrrr.

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2007 23:06

Don't despair Lindsay - the techno whizzes on here will come up with a solution for you.