Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Broadband Upload Limit (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/broadband-upload-limit-8264.html)

K.S.H 03-03-2005 20:29

Broadband Upload Limit

I have a chance of going on 1mb or 2mb connection but the 2mb connection has a 5Gb limit. I dont download music or films but go on a lot of graphic heavy sites, do these count or just the things you actually save to your PC?
There is also the option of 15Gb limit for a couple of quid more, how do you find out how much you get up to in a month?

rockrabbit 04-03-2005 08:50

Re: Broadband Upload Limit

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H
I have a chance of going on 1mb or 2mb connection but the 2mb connection has a 5Gb limit. I dont download music or films but go on a lot of graphic heavy sites, do these count or just the things you actually save to your PC?
There is also the option of 15Gb limit for a couple of quid more, how do you find out how much you get up to in a month?

I upgraded to 750 cable and its quick enough for music and films . Think with pictures on sites they are just saved to the temp internet folder and dont actually count . Plus take it thats 5gb a month how much do you actually download a month ? ive been on various isp s with different limits and ive been downloading music, films and software 24/7

andrewb 04-03-2005 13:04

Quote:

Anything you view on the internet, even text is classed as downloading as it is downloaded to your computer for you to view it, even if it isn't a direct file IE a movie.
It really depends on how much you use the internet to whether you will hit a 5Gig cap.
You can download DU meter from http://www.dumeter.com/, there's a free trial for 30days, so you can monitor your connection over say a week, then times it by 4.

Personaly i'm on a 50gig cap and am strugling to keep to it :p It's gonna be hell when they upgrade me to 8mbit. However, I can download at night between 1am-6am and it dosn't go towards my cap, so I download movies and things then mostly. ISP is freedom2surf incase you were wondering.

entwisi 04-03-2005 13:48

As Cyfr says, all traffic to your PC is counted as Download. 5 gig is plenty if you don't download movies or run P2P 24/7. It is sensible to get some tool to monitor your download on a 'typical' month to get an idea of your useage before switching to a capped tariff. I'm with Pipex on Unlimited download, 1M pipe(well it will be in the next week or so) for £24/month. I've been with them over 3 years now with zero outages on service and 1 day of email outage(although I run my email through my own domain so it wasn't a problem)

Ian

K.S.H 04-03-2005 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
As Cyfr says, all traffic to your PC is counted as Download. 5 gig is plenty if you don't download movies or run P2P 24/7. It is sensible to get some tool to monitor your download on a 'typical' month to get an idea of your useage before switching to a capped tariff. I'm with Pipex on Unlimited download, 1M pipe(well it will be in the next week or so) for £24/month. I've been with them over 3 years now with zero outages on service and 1 day of email outage(although I run my email through my own domain so it wasn't a problem)

Ian

Thanks for all your reply's

Going to do a check for a week to see what I use.

Why do you say in a week or so?

I'm with Pipex also, being upgraded to 1000 unlimited free but not till spring/summer according to the email they sent me, but can go for the 2000 lite for a £15 one off fee but its capped at 5GB a month, for £27.99 you get 2000 lite but with a 15GB cap.

One thing I have just noticed though is you dont get any webspace with the lite services and I use mine for storage and linking of pics but I could easily find somewhere else to do that.
only 3 email address's on the 2000 lite compared to 12 on 1000 serv also

I'm happy with them too, only had 1 downtime in the 15 month or so I have been with them and that was a couple of weeks ago when a lot of people were not able to use broadband (as mentioned on a post on here) because of a BT line problem

vorlon24 04-03-2005 16:27

Tiscali actually have a monitor which allows you to find out how much you have downloaded and uploaded on a day by day basis.

But I wouldn't go with them if I were you - best to go with entwisi's suggestion. I have heard only good things about Pipex too

K.S.H 04-03-2005 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon24
Tiscali actually have a monitor which allows you to find out how much you have downloaded and uploaded on a day by day basis.

But I wouldn't go with them if I were you - best to go with entwisi's suggestion. I have heard only good things about Pipex too

I'm already with them

Just downloade BMExtreme
I will run that for a couple of week and see what sort of results come back before I change anything

chav1 04-03-2005 16:52

i am with ntl 1.5mb connection and although there was speculation about a download limit of 1gb per day on their site i easily download between 4 -8 gb a day and also play a lot of online games

yet to hear anything saying stop and ive been with them about 5 years

entwisi 05-03-2005 16:15

Quote:

Thanks for all your reply's

Going to do a check for a week to see what I use.

Why do you say in a week or so?

The email I was sent said mid March.

K.S.H 07-03-2005 20:53

An idea of what you can do with 1GB and 15GB

Online activity 1GB 15GB
Surfing the internet 2 hrs a day 15 hrs a day
Sending JPEG pictures via email (eg, photos) 30 JPEGs a week 250 JPEGs a
week
Receiving JPEG pictures via email (eg, photos) 30 JPEGs a week 250 JPEGs a
week
Downloading music 5 tracks a week 250 tracks a
week
Downloading video clips 5 x 2 min clips a week 3 hrs of clips a
week
Listening to online radio 2 hrs a week 15 hrs a week
Sending emails (no attachments) 100 emails a week 3000 emails a
week
Receiving emails (no attachments) 100 emails a week 3000 emails a
week

entwisi 07-03-2005 23:14

Is this cummulative?

5 MP3s @ 5 M each(typical 4 minute single at 128 or 192Kbps) = 25M/week or 100M a month. = 1/10th Gig

8 hours or radio a month @ 1Gig gives 125M/hour. I was listening to the radio on 56K dial up for 4 hours on sunday.

I think those figures are quite misleading.

1 Gig/month = 200 MP3 singles or 50 /week, Average JPEG at say 100K = 10, 000 a month(give or take the overhead of an email header, say 9K/month)

Neil 16-03-2005 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi

Ian

Your upload will still only be 256k though. I am also with Pipex and can't recomend them enough.

entwisi 17-03-2005 05:15

Aye, I think that is more to stop people hosting sites on their own PCs than anything else. I did some testing around teh number of concurrent users a 256K link will serve. I managed through optimisation to get about 50 users with average pages of 100K