Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 20:29   #1
God Member

Broadband Upload Limit

I have a chance of going on 1mb or 2mb connection but the 2mb connection has a 5Gb limit. I dont download music or films but go on a lot of graphic heavy sites, do these count or just the things you actually save to your PC?
There is also the option of 15Gb limit for a couple of quid more, how do you find out how much you get up to in a month?

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 03-03-2005 at 20:56.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2005, 08:50   #2

Re: Broadband Upload Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
I have a chance of going on 1mb or 2mb connection but the 2mb connection has a 5Gb limit. I dont download music or films but go on a lot of graphic heavy sites, do these count or just the things you actually save to your PC?
There is also the option of 15Gb limit for a couple of quid more, how do you find out how much you get up to in a month?
I upgraded to 750 cable and its quick enough for music and films . Think with pictures on sites they are just saved to the temp internet folder and dont actually count . Plus take it thats 5gb a month how much do you actually download a month ? ive been on various isp s with different limits and ive been downloading music, films and software 24/7
Old 04-03-2005, 13:04   #3
God Member

Quote:
Anything you view on the internet, even text is classed as downloading as it is downloaded to your computer for you to view it, even if it isn't a direct file IE a movie.
It really depends on how much you use the internet to whether you will hit a 5Gig cap.
You can download DU meter from http://www.dumeter.com/, there's a free trial for 30days, so you can monitor your connection over say a week, then times it by 4.

Personaly i'm on a 50gig cap and am strugling to keep to it It's gonna be hell when they upgrade me to 8mbit. However, I can download at night between 1am-6am and it dosn't go towards my cap, so I download movies and things then mostly. ISP is freedom2surf incase you were wondering.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 13:48   #4
God Member

As Cyfr says, all traffic to your PC is counted as Download. 5 gig is plenty if you don't download movies or run P2P 24/7. It is sensible to get some tool to monitor your download on a 'typical' month to get an idea of your useage before switching to a capped tariff. I'm with Pipex on Unlimited download, 1M pipe(well it will be in the next week or so) for £24/month. I've been with them over 3 years now with zero outages on service and 1 day of email outage(although I run my email through my own domain so it wasn't a problem)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 15:33   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
As Cyfr says, all traffic to your PC is counted as Download. 5 gig is plenty if you don't download movies or run P2P 24/7. It is sensible to get some tool to monitor your download on a 'typical' month to get an idea of your useage before switching to a capped tariff. I'm with Pipex on Unlimited download, 1M pipe(well it will be in the next week or so) for £24/month. I've been with them over 3 years now with zero outages on service and 1 day of email outage(although I run my email through my own domain so it wasn't a problem)

Ian
Thanks for all your reply's

Going to do a check for a week to see what I use.

Why do you say in a week or so?

I'm with Pipex also, being upgraded to 1000 unlimited free but not till spring/summer according to the email they sent me, but can go for the 2000 lite for a £15 one off fee but its capped at 5GB a month, for £27.99 you get 2000 lite but with a 15GB cap.

One thing I have just noticed though is you dont get any webspace with the lite services and I use mine for storage and linking of pics but I could easily find somewhere else to do that.
only 3 email address's on the 2000 lite compared to 12 on 1000 serv also

I'm happy with them too, only had 1 downtime in the 15 month or so I have been with them and that was a couple of weeks ago when a lot of people were not able to use broadband (as mentioned on a post on here) because of a BT line problem

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 04-03-2005 at 16:32.
Old 04-03-2005, 16:27   #6
Senior Member+

Tiscali actually have a monitor which allows you to find out how much you have downloaded and uploaded on a day by day basis.

But I wouldn't go with them if I were you - best to go with entwisi's suggestion. I have heard only good things about Pipex too

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 16:31   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Tiscali actually have a monitor which allows you to find out how much you have downloaded and uploaded on a day by day basis.

But I wouldn't go with them if I were you - best to go with entwisi's suggestion. I have heard only good things about Pipex too
I'm already with them

Just downloade BMExtreme
I will run that for a couple of week and see what sort of results come back before I change anything

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 04-03-2005 at 16:36.
Old 04-03-2005, 16:52   #8
I am Banned

i am with ntl 1.5mb connection and although there was speculation about a download limit of 1gb per day on their site i easily download between 4 -8 gb a day and also play a lot of online games

yet to hear anything saying stop and ive been with them about 5 years
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 16:15   #9
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your reply's

Going to do a check for a week to see what I use.

Why do you say in a week or so?
The email I was sent said mid March.
Old 07-03-2005, 20:53   #10
God Member

An idea of what you can do with 1GB and 15GB

Online activity 1GB 15GB
Surfing the internet 2 hrs a day 15 hrs a day
Sending JPEG pictures via email (eg, photos) 30 JPEGs a week 250 JPEGs a
week
Receiving JPEG pictures via email (eg, photos) 30 JPEGs a week 250 JPEGs a
week
Downloading music 5 tracks a week 250 tracks a
week
Downloading video clips 5 x 2 min clips a week 3 hrs of clips a
week
Listening to online radio 2 hrs a week 15 hrs a week
Sending emails (no attachments) 100 emails a week 3000 emails a
week
Receiving emails (no attachments) 100 emails a week 3000 emails a
week

www.ubuntu.com

Old 07-03-2005, 23:14   #11
God Member

Is this cummulative?

5 MP3s @ 5 M each(typical 4 minute single at 128 or 192Kbps) = 25M/week or 100M a month. = 1/10th Gig

8 hours or radio a month @ 1Gig gives 125M/hour. I was listening to the radio on 56K dial up for 4 hours on sunday.

I think those figures are quite misleading.

1 Gig/month = 200 MP3 singles or 50 /week, Average JPEG at say 100K = 10, 000 a month(give or take the overhead of an email header, say 9K/month)
Old 16-03-2005, 23:36   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi

Ian
Your upload will still only be 256k though. I am also with Pipex and can't recomend them enough.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 05:15   #13
God Member

Aye, I think that is more to stop people hosting sites on their own PCs than anything else. I did some testing around teh number of concurrent users a 256K link will serve. I managed through optimisation to get about 50 users with average pages of 100K

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..