Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2007, 09:07   #1
Junior Member+

Access CD of emails from old computer

Needed to transfer hard disc info from early Windows98 to new PC with Windows XP. Disgo Lite Driver did not work so PC World obliged - one CD for My Documents a second for emails. The second CD lists the email files but I cannot access them - PCW expert starts his instructions with Windows Mail-file-import-messages-outlook express6-then pick folder. Message comes up "no messages or other application running". Can any clever person advise
jimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2007, 09:51   #2
God Member

Re: Access CD of emails from old computer

on the CD that has your emails, what are the names of the files? particularly the file extention ( the bit after the DOT, you may need to disable the 'hide extentions for know file types from the Tools - folder options - View tab )

I assume you are using Outlook express, please let us know if its any other email client( even if its Outlook itself not express)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2007, 10:26   #3
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
on the CD that has your emails, what are the names of the files? particularly the file extention ( the bit after the DOT, you may need to disable the 'hide extentions for know file types from the Tools - folder options - View tab )

I assume you are using Outlook express, please let us know if its any other email client( even if its Outlook itself not express)
Thanks entwisi, am using OE, file info DBX File, Type dbx-auto-file. Have disabled Hide Extensions. Still struggling, regards, jimmieg.
Old 24-12-2007, 10:35   #4
God Member

OK, lets just check where/what you've done.

Sorry if this is a bit noddy for you but often is because we assume things that it doesn't work

from a freshly booted PC with no software running,

Start Outlook express ( what version are you running? Assuming 6)

Make sure all the files from the CD are on the local Hard Disk(create a folder under C called oldemail and copy all the files into it)

Do 'File - Import - Messages'

Now you need to know what version of OE was running on your old PC. if it was 4 or below choose the Outlook Express V4 option, if it was 5 or higher choose Outlook Express 6.

Then Click teh browse button and select teh folder you created earlier. The OK button shold be enabled at this point.

Click OK and follow the rest of the wizard. (I don't have any suitable files to go beyond this as I don't run Windows personally)

let me know if you have issues.

Ian

Old 24-12-2007, 18:44   #5
Junior Member+

Ian
Have started to go thru Flickr pics - will return to these.
Followed guidance; started OE6, copied from CD to new oldemail file.
Then do "File-Import-Messages".Tried with OE4 and OE6, no OEV4 option.
Screen message "No messages can be found within this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please try another folder or try closing applications that may have files open"
Still baffled - any suggestions welcomed if you have time between your many other interests.
Seasonal good wishes, jimmieg.
Old 24-12-2007, 21:03   #6
God Member

How big (in KB) are teh .dbx files
Are we sure PC world saved them? I have little confidence in them, sorry

Old 25-12-2007, 19:15   #7
Junior Member+

Ian, 27 new "oldefile" has files from Canada.dbx to Trees.dbx, ranging in size from 10KB to 30,000KB. There may have been a slip-up by PC World, Jim.
Old 26-12-2007, 13:55   #8
God Member

Try this; start OE, on the local folders tree on the left, right click and make a new folder, call the new folder Canada, then do it again calling the next one Trees. click on each of the new folders, to make them register, then close down OE.

Next (make sure you can see the hidden folders and file extensions) open C:/documents and settings/[username]/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/[folder with loads of numbers and letters]/Microsoft/outlook express.

Here you should see files called inbox.dbx, outbox.dbx, canada.dbx, trees.dbx.
now drag and drop the Canada.dbx and the Trees.dbx, from your CD into the Outlook Express folder you just opened (make sure you click yes when told about overwriting existing files). close everything down then open your email again.
If PC World saved your emails properly then they should be in the folders you created earlier (Canada and Trees).
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 19:19   #9
Junior Member+

Redash your "try this" looks promising but you are dealing with a real "oldie"
Para 1 ok; para2 user name is Default User and cannot get to Local Settings and beyond.
Default User files are Favourites and My Documents, through default user properties I can get to Local Sharing and Security to no advantage.
If it does not try your patience too much further guidance would be appreciated, regards Jim G.
Old 26-12-2007, 21:26   #10
God Member

It looks like you don't have hidden files showing.
go to a folder, any folder will do, click on Tools (at the top of the window), then folder options, a new window will open. click the View tab then click the bullet for "Show hidden files and folders"

Or try this (copy the blue text, and paste into the run command) C:/Documents and Settings/Default User/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities click through the folder with loads of numbers then Microsoft then Outlook Express, Change the files as discussed earlier.
Old 27-12-2007, 07:08   #11
God Member

Be careful with overwriting Inbox, sent etc as you will lose anything you have in there currently. Will work with subfolders though.

Another option if OE still has no joy is to try Thunderbird which is to OE what Firefox is to Internet Explorer.

Old 27-12-2007, 08:30   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Be careful with overwriting Inbox, sent etc as you will lose anything you have in there currently. Will work with subfolders though.

Another option if OE still has no joy is to try Thunderbird which is to OE what Firefox is to Internet Explorer.
You don't need to copy anything other than the Canada and Trees files.
Thunderbird also has a very good junk mail filter.
Old 27-12-2007, 08:52   #13
God Member

Redash,
He mentions there are 27 files in total suggesting there are a number of sub folders in addition to the two he mentioned. I just wanted to make sure he understood that copying Inbox, etc over will lose what he has at teh moment.

Old 27-12-2007, 10:37   #14
Junior Member+

Post Re: Access CD of emails from old computer

You guys deserve a medal; not sure what I have done, tried file-import- messages with newly created folder and it worked. Tools route gave no Folder Options so tried to reconfigure Tools menu without success. Will retrace blue text to make sure I fully understand what is going on and try to observe warnings. Very grateful, overseas cousins who might think I have kicked the bucket will get good wishes for 2008, regards Jim.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:36   #15
God Member

So your up and running?

Well done, I know we techies tend to think of stuff like this as dead easy when to normal peopel its black magic and voodoo.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..