Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2005, 03:11   #1
I am Banned

anyone unhappy with ntl broadband

if you have bought ntl broadband and wish you havnt but are tied to a 12 month contract heres what i did to get out of it..

i rang them up and told them that i had had my computer stolen and could not afford to buy a replacement and the broadband was now uselss to me

they took pity on my tale of woe and canceled the contract right there and then

ps:

try to sound upset when saying this
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2005, 10:43   #2

Re: anyone unhappy with ntl broadband

hmm, though now you have alerted them to this fact they will probably be not so leniant to the next poor sod who decides that they are not happy with their infirior products.

I am with BT Broadband and so far (touch wood) I have had no problems.

Though now I have said that I am sure something will happen just to prove a point!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 20:51   #3
I am Banned

dont wory i doubt ntl will see this they have enough trouble answeringa telephone or an email as it is
Old 01-12-2005, 01:56   #4

Ntl keep asking me to change to broadband, is it any good ? or i`am i better off with someone else
Get`A`Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20   #5

I would got o bt personally for Broadband. If you get it from their website you pay nothing for the instalation. You can fit it yourself and they just put the cost on to your phone bill.

I find it easier that way. You will have to have a look and see what you think.
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:32   #6
God Member

If you have any problems though their support desk if awful.

For reliability and people who know what they are doing, Pipex, Zen, Eclipse are three I would consider, there are others taht are OK as well, check out adslguide.co.uk for more info.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 20:00   #7
I am Banned

to be honest ntl broadband is the best out there in my opinion for stability and reliability

the only problem is they have limits on how much bandwidth you can use and if you liek viewing high detail websites or downloading items then you are buggered

ntl dont impose extra charges for over usage just yet but they are definatley doing it and always take a good look at any contract with ntl they are a sneaky set of tos*ers

you have been warned lol
Old 02-12-2005, 00:47   #8

thanks for the advice i think i`ll stay put at the minute, i`ve had enough sh*t with ntl with the tv & phone
Get`A`Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 04:17   #9
I am Banned

the software in their set top boxes is garbage and although they updated it to look like sky's it is still crap and slow

the new silver boxs are supposed to be better but i havnt one yet

ps:

handy tip

insist on a seperate modem for your broadband because the set top boxs cant handle the 1mb and above connections and the tv at the same time and crash a lot
Old 03-12-2005, 13:30   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: anyone unhappy with ntl broadband

I’ve been with Freeserve (now called Wanadoo) since the days of dial-up 56K. I was even able to connect using an Amiga A1200 although there was no technical support.

I now have their broadband at 2.2MB connection with 6GB bandwidth at £22.99 per month DD. All equipment is free and is simple to install and of course you can still use your telephone whilst surfing.

The 2GB bandwidth package is $17.99 per month by DD. They also give you 10MB of web space for free or it may be 15MB now.

If you exceed your bandwidth for one month they don’t bother but if it is a regular event they will contact you to suggest upping your bandwidth.

I can log on first time every time and the 2.2 MB rating is accurate.

You can access your ISP mailbox using either an email client like OE or via their web site. Accessing your account via the web site enables you to set up filters to eliminate much of the spam. Your email address will be something like your [email protected] and you can have five different names in place of xxxxxx, thus you can have five email addresses. The web site also has web mail.

There was a recent server outage that lasted a few hours and the one before that was well over a year ago.

So for me Wanadoo is king.
Old 03-12-2005, 15:14   #11
Resting in Peace

if your going over your limit with NTL chav1 then you are downloading 1 hell of a lot of stuff the download limit i have is 1 GIG PER DAY so are you into downloading films ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 16:18   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
if your going over your limit with NTL chav1 then you are downloading 1 hell of a lot of stuff the download limit i have is 1 GIG PER DAY so are you into downloading films ?
sorry i would have no idea how to do that but i do view a lot of high detail websites , play on line a lot which the game downloads new maps etc plus the legal video footage of football

Old 15-12-2005, 09:06   #13
Senior Member+

NTL = spit in our house
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 11:27   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
the software in their set top boxes is garbage and although they updated it to look like sky's it is still crap and slow
Even better don't use their box at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
insist on a seperate modem for your broadband
I am told there are ways around that as well but have never seen it.
Old 16-12-2005, 03:52   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Even better don't use their box at all
I am told there are ways around that as well but have never seen it.
no they stopped cloned mac adresses on ntl modems a couple of months ago by sending updates to all mondems connected to their network so you have to pay now lol

or so i hear

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..