Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36   #1
Senior Member+

backing up files?

i want to make sure i have a backup of my files incase anything happens to the pc, if i get an external hard drive, will that do the job?

Is there anything i need to know before i buy one like sizes etc?
anyone know where i can get a cheap but decent one?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: backing up files?

Good questions will keep an eye on this for information.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 13:17   #3

I have just bought a maxtor external hard drive and I back everything up on there and you can select the frequency at which it does it and trust me its easy
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 13:39   #4
Senior Member+

I bought a Phillips 500gb external hard drive from Argos, £75. stored all my music on it. I thought that was a good deal.
Old 01-04-2008, 16:58   #5
I am Banned

Hi emamum.

When you go for an external backup drive, you don't need one any bigger than the hard drive in the machine. Most of them come wth a setup cd that allows you to schedule the type and time of backup.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i want to make sure i have a backup of my files incase anything happens to the pc, if i get an external hard drive, will that do the job?

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
I bought a Phillips 500gb external hard drive from Argos, £75. stored all my music on it. I thought that was a good deal.
Is the music on just the external drive? If so you will loose it all if it dies on you. The idea of a backup is to have your data saved in more than one place at once.
Old 01-04-2008, 19:35   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post

If its just a backup of your data what about DVD, do you have a dvd writer on your PC?
Old 01-04-2008, 19:39   #8
Senior Member+

no i dont...theres data and photo's that i dont want to lose.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:40   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Then a DVD writer might be the best and cheapest way. How much data do you need to backup?
Old 01-04-2008, 20:40   #10
God Member

also make sure you have a copy in another location. If your house burns down it usually takes all the stuff thats there

burn pictures to disc and leave teh copies at a friends. online storage is a good idea, see ksh's thread for one option

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:44   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
also make sure you have a copy in another location.

Which is why DVD is a cheap option
Old 22-05-2008, 13:25   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: backing up files?

Backing up to a DVD is the most cost effective option if your data is measured in gigabytes and a lot of them.

The next best option is a 2GB memory stick (if you have a spare USB port). They are probably cheaper and larger now but my 2GB memory stick cost me £15. I use it for backing up data that changes daily.

Failing all that it can only be a series of CD’s. You should be able to store two or three hundred pictures on a CD but that will depend on the picture sizes. But not many tunes.

I’m looking forward to the day when the “Memory Stick” is developed into humungous sizes (a few hundred gig) with a super fast USB port, thus making a traditional hard drive obsolete.

My OS partition is backed up using Paragon imaging software and a copy of the image is burned to 2 re-writable DVD’s once a month.

My data partition is also backed up to 3 re-writable DVD’s as standard files also once a month.

Last edited by jambutty; 22-05-2008 at 13:30.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 13:37   #13
Senior Member+

I got a new 8gb memory stick off ebay (well won it, just waiting on delivery) and it cost me £10 so might be worth investing in one of these instead of cds / dvds etc
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 15:51   #14
God Member

this is going to sound sooooooooo stupid but....i backed my photos up by sending them all to my email addy, i can then access my pics wherever i am
Old 22-05-2008, 15:52   #15
God Member

flash is available in large sizes now. 16 gig is easily achieveable. some PCs are now coming with Flash instead of a Hard disk. Asus Eeee Pc being one of the first.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..