Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2014, 15:29   #46
I am Banned

Re: BT Home hub problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Powerline adapters are evil things and create a lot of RF interference between about 25Mhz and 30Mhz. The mains wiring in your house becomes great big aerial all over your house transmitting nasty RF noise.
Forgot Neil, after you original post on the buying and selling thread, I struggle to find any interference on my FM or DAB radio setups both fixed and utilising the domestic wiring circuit or on my portable DAB radio.

Found this online survey.
Your thoughts on Powerline / HomePlugs:
I use them and they work well (879 votes) 52.48%
I use them, but they don't work well (195 votes) 11.64%
I have no need for them / use Wi-fi (141 votes) 8.42%
I won't use them / Save Shortwave (308 votes) 18.39%
Never heard of them / Don't care (152 votes) 9.07%
(Total Votes: 1675 )

Last edited by DtheP47; 12-11-2014 at 15:32.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2014, 15:40   #47
God Member

Some members think I am paranoic about radiation, but I do feel some effects (whether this is 'all in the mind' or not I don't want exposure).

In my 'palatial' oversized bedroom I have positioned my bed about 5' away from any wall wiring/sockets and can switch my bedside items on and off by a remote control so I don't need to get out of bed to switch off my clock radio and bedside lamp at the wall. so whilst sleeping my exposure is very limited, (and my dreams are wonderful - no nightmares ever )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Re...ords=energenie

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-11-2014 at 15:45.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 15:55   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
(and my dreams are wonderful - no nightmares ever )
]
It's all that orgonite you've got in there Margaret!

Marvellous all this help the experts are giving you- I'm totally confused, don't know about you.
But remote control to switch things off? By your bed? Don't they use radio waves as well? Mine do.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 15:57   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
It's all that orgonite you've got in there Margaret!

Marvellous all this help the experts are giving you- I'm totally confused, don't know about you.
But remote control to switch things off? By your bed? Don't they use radio waves as well? Mine do.
Maybe when pressed but not otherwise

Old 12-11-2014, 16:00   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maybe when pressed but not otherwise
Ahh, you're more technical than I am. Maybe you're not confused after all!
MargaretR likes this.
Old 12-11-2014, 19:09   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Some members think I am paranoic about radiation, but I do feel some effects (whether this is 'all in the mind' or not I don't want exposure).

[/url]
You are right to be concerned Margaret, we all should be. Unfortunately radiation is everywhere and the modern world and its technologies couldn't function without it. The unstoppable march of progress, as they say.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 20:29   #52
Beacon of light

Margaret, we all know our bodies...especially when we have lived with them for so long......and all of us are unique.
I am glad that the advice you have received has not appeared to ridicule your desire to limit your exposure to electronic waves.
Not everyone will react in the same way to exposure, but we all have the right to protect ourselves from perceived harm.
MargaretR and Gremlin like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 16:56   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Lets hope a new hub can be made to disable Wi Fi Margaret.
If you follow my post earlier it is really a very simple procedure, provided you can access the settings. That appears to be your problem at present although once you do a full reset on the hub the admin password should revert to the key on the bottom of the hub or the card.

It does seem a bad thing to have the admin password on the hub though, anybody with a will to do so could easily reset the hub, get into your settings, change the wi fi password and then get into your PC. That's why the little removable card is a good idea, I keep mine secure and scrape the label off the hub.
That someone would have to be in your house to read those numbers. They might as well just take your PC. Anyway they would only get access to your network not your PC.
Old 13-11-2014, 17:07   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

In my 'palatial' oversized bedroom I have positioned my bed about 5' away from any wall wiring/sockets and can switch my bedside items on and off by a remote control so I don't need to get out of bed to switch off my clock radio and bedside lamp at the wall. so whilst sleeping my exposure is very limited, (and my dreams are wonderful - no nightmares ever )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Re...ords=energenie
You can't escape it because you have no control over your neighbours or the Radio Ham 2 doors down legally pushing 400 watts RF your way
Old 13-11-2014, 17:50   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can't escape it because you have no control over your neighbours or the Radio Ham 2 doors down legally pushing 400 watts RF your way
That may well be a fact - so no need to generate more of my own in my very close proximity.

Incidentally, I always feel more alive when everyone else is asleep.
I sometimes wonder if this is due to fewer electrical gadgets operating then.

The new hub has arrived. I struggled to unpack it (disabled hands). Now I read that they expect me to pack and return the old one - fat chance !
I am unable to visit a post office or a 'collection centre' and object to paying for extra time for my care agency ladies to do it.

I feel grim today so am leaving the setting up alone for now - hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Old 14-11-2014, 07:34   #56
Senior Member+

Do you have central heating in your flat Margaret?
If so it will probably have a thermostat situated somewhere and in a lot of modern buildings it controls the boiler by radio waves. It is not hard wired.
Old 15-11-2014, 15:04   #57
God Member

I now have a Homehub which emits no wireless signal

There is one residual problem I need you to advise about -

On the day I moved in The BT engineer arrived before the furniture.
The old hub got plugged into a socket near the floor and a heavy bookcase, with my TV atop it, now prevents access to unplug it. I tried using that same power supply lead for the new hub but it didn't fit.

So the old useless power supply is still plugged in doing nothing and its cord is dangling over the front of the bookcase. Paranoic (as I am) I think 'that cable and its little metal end are live'.
Is this a risk- fire or electric shock?

Old 15-11-2014, 15:15   #58
Senior Member+

I'm not an expert, Margaret, but I would think it's OK to just coil it up and drop it behind the bookcase.
Unless-- there was a transformer on the plug, making the plug into one of those big lumps which weigh a ton, or a transformer on the end of a short cable which the hub cable plugged into.
My Hub5 has a transformer plug, a big lump, but I can get at it.
I know transformers can overheat, I wouldn't leave one plugged in forever.

I'm sure our experts will be able to help.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 15-11-2014, 15:21   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I now have a Homehub which emits no wireless signal

There is one residual problem I need you to advise about -

On the day I moved in The BT engineer arrived before the furniture.
The old hub got plugged into a socket near the floor and a heavy bookcase, with my TV atop it, now prevents access to unplug it. I tried using that same power supply lead for the new hub but it didn't fit.

So the old useless power supply is still plugged in doing nothing and its cord is dangling over the front of the bookcase. Paranoic (as I am) I think 'that cable and its little metal end are live'.
Is this a risk- fire or electric shock?
No, you have nothing to fear.

Unless...

No, really, don't worry about it. Just get someone to unplug it next time you have a visitor.
MargaretR likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 15:24   #60
Senior Member+

All the B.T Home hubs from 2 to 5 that I now have have been powered from either a plug with a transformer built in or a 240 volt lead plugging into a transformer. You will be safer unplugging the lead.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..