Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 06:37   #1
I am Banned

Can someone please help me sort out my computer ???

Right here's the problem solver for anyone who can help. My computer won't restart for some reason when I switch it on it says:

Boot from cd/dvd

Load Error !
Press any key to reboot..........................

when I press any key it tells me to do a system recovery which I have done but then when I restart it does it all over again can someone please help im tearing my hair out I am having to use a borrowed laptop at the moment is my computer fixable ??? as anyone experienced a similar problem ? if so please help !!!

I have considdered it having something to do with the RAM or hard drive but does this problem sound familiar to anyone ???
who_eat_all_the_pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24   #2
Len
God Member

Re: Can someone please help me sort out my computer ???

Mine did the same a month ago and when I took it to the repair shop I was told that the hard drive had packed in. so I had to get myself a new one.

Good luck.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 17:34   #3
God Member

I've never had the error, but a quick glance and well, a bit of guess work, tells me that a) your harddrive is bust or b) Your operating system is bust

I don't really know anyway to tell which it is (if either) other than reinstalling windows to see if that fixes it, or booting a linux live cd and seeing if you can access the hard drive..
Old 07-07-2006, 19:27   #4
I am Banned

Thanks for the help I think it is the RAM or hardrive it does'nt matter though as I still have my gaurentee but the computer I had previous never did anything like this and I had it years
who_eat_all_the_pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:14   #5

For some reason your PC is trying to boot the OS from the CD/DVD, you may well find this just needs to be changed in the BIOS settings, but I wouldn't go near BIOS if you're no good with PC's.

If not, then Windows XP just wants re-installing, I doubt very much theres a hardware problem though.

By the way, how many beeps is your computer making when you switch it on? They tell you about any hardware faults.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It sounds like your hard drive is not being detected.
Old 09-07-2006, 19:57   #7
God Member

Without wanting to be pedantic from what is written it sounds like the PC is trying to boot froma CD/DVD that doesn't have a bootable disk in it or that bootable disk is corrupt. At no point does it mention trying to access teh HD.

Now this gets slightly complicated by the OP mentioning that they have tried doing a system recovery. What I would like to ask is that some people mistake system recovery from system restore. Are you sure you mean recovery? This usually involves completely re-installing teh Windows system and restting teh hard disk to its factory state. If you believe you have done a system restore reboot teh PC without any disks in teh drive and post teh results. It could be that you have inadvertantly tweaked teh BIOS and removed teh 2nd/3rd boot options that would normally drop back to HD if there is no CD/DVD in the drive.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 14:17   #8

Thats what I thought Entwisi, just trying to boot from CD/DVD, but when you set your BIOS up like that, if there isn't a bootable CD/DVD in the drive, it moves onto the next option. So it sounds like the HD has been completely removed from the Boot Order. But messing with BIOS isn't a good idea for people that know next to nowt about PCs

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 19:06   #9
God Member

depends on the BIOS, not all automatically drop to the next option. I have one here that just stops and says insert valid boot media

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..